Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Movie theater walls

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-03, 06:43 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Movie theater walls

Does anyone know what kind of fabric is on the walls of a movie theater. It seems like an upholstry fabric or fleace. Anyone know, I would like to find something similiar for my walls in the home theater room that I am building.
Old 04-20-03, 10:37 AM

Some theaters I've noticed that they have curtains installed on the sides and/or walls.
Old 04-23-03, 12:39 AM

It was traditionally velvet but now can be of a number of different materials due to the high expense of velvet. The primary function of this drapery is to control the reflection of sound off the walls of the theater and they will serve the same effect in a home theater. Velvet, if it is feasible for you, is a very attractive fabric and because of its weight it hangs very well without wrinkles or puckers. Pleating aids in the redirection of sound in neutral directions to be trapped in the fabric. The preferred style of pleating is referred to as a box pleat. Some of the other aspects of material and treatments for movie theater drapes have to do with fireproofing/resistance mandated by fire codes for public facilities and do not necessarily have a bearing on home theater applications.

Hope it helps.