Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

I need a Power Amp for my Home theater

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 04-17-03, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently have a QSC amp 2 channel , kind used in movie theaters. Makes my l/r main sound cleaner and tighter. Now i am looking for a 3 channel amp to power the center and surrounds. I'm hoping to buy one at a B&M. Now my amp runs 450 W. Can you recommend anything similar or just a little less W but no higher than $300 ? Thanks for any info.
Old 04-17-03, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: I need a Power Amp for my Home theater

Originally posted by ILikeDVD
I currently have a QSC amp 2 channel , kind used in movie theaters. Makes my l/r main sound cleaner and tighter. Now i am looking for a 3 channel amp to power the center and surrounds. I'm hoping to buy one at a B&M. Now my amp runs 450 W. Can you recommend anything similar or just a little less W but no higher than $300 ? Thanks for any info.
(150W x 3 channels) + New at a B&M < $300 ?

No.
Old 04-17-03, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My friend suggested checking some music stores like Guitar Center. They should have amps, but not sure the kind i'm looking for. They carry DJ amps.
Old 04-17-03, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by ILikeDVD
My friend suggested checking some music stores like Guitar Center. They should have amps, but not sure the kind i'm looking for. They carry DJ amps.
What exactly is lacking from the sound you're getting right now? (Quality or quantity?)

What receiver are you powering them with?

You might be able to improve on your receiver, but I don't see it happening for the money you're talking about. At least for new equipment.
Old 04-17-03, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The amp my friend gave me is this Amp Spec and pic
The receiver i am using right now is this receiver pic and spec
I love the difference when i use the amp to power either the mains or the surrounds. It just sounds so solid. I'd like a 3 channel to work the surrounds and center, specially the center cause i find the volume still too low even when set to 10(max) Also the amp allows me to adjust each individual gain to each channel. Hope this helps.

Maybe this might be a recommendation to get just a new receiver. Hope you guys can help.
Old 04-19-03, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think you'd gain more in sound quality by getting a different receiver. It'd also be a chance to add DPL-II, DTS, and other additional formats.

Questions:

* Does your receiver really have pre-outs for the center and surrounds?

* What kind of speakers do you have?

Deals can of course be found on amplifiers, but much more so on used equipment. For example, I have an Adcom 2535, which is a 4x60W or 1x200 + 2x60W amp that I bought for less than you're looking to spend. I've also owned a similar 4 channel Fosgate amp that I paid $225 for, IIRC.

Depending on the size of your room, the speakers you're using, and how loud you listen to music, you might not need as much power as you think.