Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Limited $ to spend, did you ever buy used off a online company?

Old 04-17-03, 12:40 PM
Rest in Peace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started buying new, what I read was people get tired of the title and would like to unload it some by trading someone or by reselling. I have purchased some 150+ titles that when sent were like new. A number of companies are starting to have this program.

The discs are usally from a bored with watching the same to them DVD. I learned that using soft liquid soap or use of a manually operated SkipDoctor, most scratches or finger prints if any will be gone. They are now in one of 3 DVD changers ready to play as I have viewed all of them. I just filled the second changer a Sony CX-875 300 + 1(F), the other 2 are a extra CX-875(6), and a CX-860 300 + 1 (F) (F means filled) total 608 discs owned besides 3 doubles still plastic wrapped from factory. 1 sold at DVD exchange to a DVD talk gold member.

I will continue to buy off of cheaper resellers, as the price of new DVD's continue to travel upwards; because of inflation, taxes, and popularity. I can buy DVDs for as little as $3 plus $2.29 postage, that beats the lowest price in buying new DVD of memberships like Columbia house which limits number of tiles you can buy! These discs if kept in a changer or *carefully* handled by a single drawer will last more than my lifetime. 2 of my 3 are Progressive Scan 300 + 1 capacity.

Who else buys used or re-seller discs continously like me to save money and/or build your collection.

Last edited by danol; 04-17-03 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-17-03, 02:48 PM

Escalating DVD prices?! When I started buying DVDs I had to SEARCH to find DVDs under 25 bucks. Usually, they were 30 bucks or so.

Now, you can't throw a discarded VHS tape without hitting 3 racks of DVDs selling for 15.99. New 2 disc sets can be had for 17.99. I just bought Season 1,2,and 3 of Friends (4 disc sets) for 26 bucks EACH. All at online retailers which charge for NO shipping. If you wait long enough you can get great DVDs for 9-10 bucks. I just got Glengarry Glen Ross 2 disc for 10 bucks.

If you ask me, prices for DVDs are CHEAP as hell. My only problem is what NOT to buy.
Old 04-17-03, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not from a company but I buy new and used discs from a pawn shop for 10 bucks or 12 for double discs,I bought Soprano's in the plastic still for 40 bucks and the 2nd season used for 35$,I figure why buy them new on release day when you can wait a few weeks and save $$$$,I also buy alot of my blind buys this way to,so if I dont like the flick I can sell it to a freind or someone or even back to the pawn shop,works out great for me and saved 100s doing this.
Old 04-17-03, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There's been several threads about the quality of various companies in both the bargains and stores forums. You might want to check out this recent thread from the bargains section. Although the original poster is looking for places to sell to, people are commenting about the quality.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...light=unwanted

Consensus seems to be that www.digitaleyes.net is about the best for quality of product received.
Old 04-21-03, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

danol,
Do you really have 3 DVD changers with a 608 capacity that you keep all your discs in? Wouldn't it be easier (and cheaper) to just put your collection on a shelf? What happens when you need more room? Do you buy another changer?

[perfectly happy with my single disc player]
Old 04-21-03, 05:56 PM
Rest in Peace

Movie_Man

I have 3 DVD changers with 608 discs, 300 for the one CX-875, 300 for the 2nd CX-875 and only 8 in the 300 + 1
Cx-860, total 608 discs plus discs I trade or sell. One recetly sold to a Gold Member Trader up in Canada, who was pleased with his item, that was sent before payment was even asked for, I wanted him to be satisfied and to have him as a reference to trade or sell to other DVD exchange traders, that I deliver and am not a bad trader.

The other answer is yes I buy a new changer when current one is filled. I live in a small apartment and there are other circumstances, I can't get to my cabinets to pick another movie.

I have 5 Sauder cabinets bought for Vhs storage, that I know use for empty DVD cases, I had Sauder factory 'rep' in to assemble all the locking cabinets. Beside the changers I have 2 single drawer players Toshiba SD-4800 and the JVC XVS500BK that was bought already mod with manual switch for all regions play.

I use one of the cabinets for Regions 2 (UK) and 4 (AU) discs, like the DVD Talk advertiser that is selling mod units. Mine has a PAL converter built in, a hardware not software Progressive Scan; all connected by this.

www.inlineinc.com/products/matrix/3506.htm

I had to convert the 6 computer switcher into a 6 component switcher by using 21 gold plated BNC to RCA connecters. To change sqare buttons, I have a mop handle with a rubber tip, that I reach over from my lounger to change the different inputs I use. Cheaper than the $235 for 25 foot *wired* remote control inline inc. wants. The heavy case is used with rubber feet and 2 inch elctrical tape to anchor it to my HDTV top on right hand side where all the silver serpents come in and I only have to use the 1 meter($99) on all but on Changer I have to use a 2 meter ($119)
I coverted it for under $1,000 plus the cost of PQ cables IMHO. It's my hobby I don't own a car and I am not married anymore so I an I alone make the uying decisions. Whether you people can understand my post or responses is irrevelent to my having one heck of a system capable of buying and using blu-ray when it comes in If I care to.

When scanning the inlineinc 3506 look at the video badwidth available, I don't own the company the words used are Inlineinc.

PQ www.bettercables.com 1 to 2 meter Silver Serpents for the high end video bandwidth device to go into my HDTV single input (Y-Pr-Pb) on the back of my HDTV. All my cables used are silver serpents, included are component, S-Vhs, and Composite.

I had read that Sony used 'silver' in it's cables to present better pictures for its Consumer Electronic Shows. Now I have .999 Silver electroplated over Oxygen Free Copper cables for all my devices including audio and someday a coputer when WebTV bites the dust. I know how to connect a VGA to component adapter to the high end switcher to the 1280 X 1080 rez HDTV.

Last edited by danol; 04-21-03 at 06:32 PM.
Old 04-21-03, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldnt buy a used dvd if you paid for it.
Old 04-21-03, 06:42 PM
Rest in Peace

gutwrencher

That's okay I am sure the used disc traders, sellers, and buyers won't miss you gutwrencher. There are so may good traders and I am one of them. Like I said I belong to quite a few forums here in the states, and around the world. TTFN
Old 04-21-03, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I will never understand the "I would never buy a used dvd" attitude. If that is your thing, then fine, but I don't get it at all. I buy used dvds all the time in perfect condition for way less than new. In fact, most of my collection is made up of used dvds. Pawn shops are the best, but it's getting harder to find dvds there. Apparently the secret is out. Man, I've gotten some steals at pawn shops in the past.

Anyway, to answer the original question: I've bought several dvds off of half.com with good success. I've bought one used dvd off of DVDOvernight with slightly less success. I prefer to buy used dvds in person so that I can check them out before laying the money down.
Old 04-21-03, 08:12 PM

I get a lot of my DVDs from half.com and I haven't been burned yet... (Knocking on my wooden desk)
Old 04-21-03, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts
I sell more on Half.com than I buy, but I have had some good finds on Ebay. I also keep an eye out at my local EB stores, they sometimes have some good stuff hidden deep in the racks. I don't mind buying used if a. the price is right and b. it's in good shape.
Old 04-21-03, 09:12 PM

a semi local Hastings has been the source of a ton of my dvds.
Old 04-21-03, 10:07 PM

Originally posted by Boot
I will never understand the "I would never buy a used dvd" attitude. If that is your thing, then fine, but I don't get it at all. I buy used dvds all the time in perfect condition for way less than new. In fact, most of my collection is made up of used dvds. Pawn shops are the best, but it's getting harder to find dvds there. Apparently the secret is out.
it is "my thing", so no need to try to understand. it's much easier for me to make 1...maybe 2 stops for 95% of my buys, but searching around for that "best deal" does nothing but waste my time. trust me, after a brutal 12 hour day, I just want to make a quick stop for the discs....not shop at every pawn shop and flea market in town for that "killer price". I'll consider used if it's rare and oop and if I cant live without it. if it's just the price that is a concern, I cant control other peoples budgets.....do what you need to do. for those who deal in used dvds...continued success and rock on.

Last edited by gutwrencher; 04-21-03 at 10:10 PM.
Old 04-21-03, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have bought many used, but never from the internet. I usually like to take a look at them first before I buy them used.
Old 04-21-03, 11:03 PM

gutwrencher - I hear ya. If you got the money, you (should) never have to worry about condition....

That said, pawing through used racks have netted me some great deals.

I have bought used from Half, Amazon, and Hastingsentertainment.com (Hastings) - and have had no problems so far.
Old 04-21-03, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would of said the same thing as gutwrencher but hopefully in a better way. I've never bought shopped for or bought used but that is the way I do things. I'm too much of a neat freak to worry if the used item I got was in good condition.

On the other hand a good buddy of mine buys everything used. Games, CDs, DVDs and anything else he can. He buys used and then most of the time turns around and sells it and can get most if not all of his money back on the trade in. I've never even sold a DVD out of my collection. But I'm a way bigger film freak than he is.

I don't trust a number of people who sell used. I'm sure many people are honest and take good care of their stuff but the people who don't stick out way too much. I've read too many horror stories on this board to ever start.
Old 04-22-03, 12:43 AM

Originally posted by MasterofDVD
I would of said the same thing as gutwrencher but hopefully in a better way.
any way is better than mine I suppose, hopefully.