Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

I'm interviewing Godsmack - any questions?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-03, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm interviewing Godsmack on Friday. Not sure exactly who yet: either Sully or Robbie, maybe both.

Anyone have any questions they'd like me to ask?
Old 04-16-03, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do they feel about people claiming they are an Alice in Chains rip off despite the fact that they don't sound a like at all.
Old 04-16-03, 06:17 PM

Originally posted by Ergyu
How do they feel about people claiming they are an Alice in Chains rip off despite the fact that they don't sound a like at all.
Have people actually said that? I concur with you. They don't sound even remotely the same.
Old 04-16-03, 06:28 PM

I know that Godsmack turned down a spot on the Summer Sanitarium Tour. Instead they wanted to do a tour on their own playing medium sized venues. They also said that the prices for concerts are out of hand. Maybe work with some of those topics.

Aaron
Old 04-16-03, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by blinkin_winkin
I know that Godsmack turned down a spot on the Summer Sanitarium Tour. Instead they wanted to do a tour on their own playing medium sized venues. They also said that the prices for concerts are out of hand. Maybe work with some of those topics.

Aaron

Yes, definatly ask how that went down. Ask if there's a chance of them touring together after their summer tours. What will their next single be? How many of their new songs will we hear on the tour? Who is opening for them on the tour? Ill try to think of some more. Will you post the interview when your done??
Old 04-16-03, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i heard on the radio the main reason that they didn't want to do a summer saniterium is that they didn't like how a kid would have to ask their parents for 200 bucks for a ticket, a bottle of water and a t shirt. They would rather charge a more reasonable price for tickets.
Old 04-16-03, 07:37 PM
Banned

Here's my question for them:
"Why do you guys keep making music when you're not good at it?"
Old 04-16-03, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally posted by Ergyu
Originally posted by BJacks
Have people actually said that? I concur with you. They don't sound even remotely the same.
That was one of the main arguments on why their music sucked off of the first album. I don't like them at all, but I do agree some of it sounds like Alice In Chains.

Ask them what their favorite band to play/tour with was? I'd be interested in finding that out. Maybe also ask them who they'd most like to tour with again or for the first time.
Old 04-16-03, 09:43 PM
Banned

Location: John "57 Varieties" Kerry represents me in the US Senate.
Did I notice they'd switched drummers in their most recent video? Or did the formerly bald skinsman just grow some hair?

*If* there was a lineup change, maybe there's a fascinating Behind the Music style reason for it........
Old 04-16-03, 10:13 PM

Originally posted by inVectiVe
Did I notice they'd switched drummers in their most recent video?
Yup, they parted ways with their original drummer. The new guy, former Amen drummer Shannon Larkin, is supposed to be spectacular.

As for the Alice In Chains thing, guess I've never seen that in Godsmack, and this is coming from a huge AIC fan. I suppose I can partly realize where it's coming from, but IMO Godsmack stands on their own at this point.

Regarding the tour: yup, definitely plan on covering that angle, as I really gotta give them props for taking that line. I respected Pearl Jam for drawing a line in the sand with ticket prices, and I give the same to Godsmack.

Last edited by BJacks; 04-16-03 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-16-03, 10:39 PM
Suspended

Godsmack sounds like AIC? I never saw that conection. I somewhat like Godsmack but they are nowhere near AIC musically.

Yup, they parted ways with their original drummer. The new guy, former Amen drummer Shannon Larkin, is supposed to be spectacular.
I'm liking him so far!
Old 04-16-03, 11:48 PM
Retired

Why do all your songs sound the same?

I really liked the first album, but they're just going nowhere musically IMO, and I can't stand when bands don't progress from album to album.
Old 04-17-03, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There first album was a Alice"IN"Chains rip-off,it was pretty good but still a rip off but there newer stuff sounds a bit diffrent,I mean come on there name is GodSmack a Alice"IN"Chains song which is on Dirt.
Old 04-17-03, 08:46 AM

I wouldn't even compare these guys to Alice In Chains. They're ok, but AIC was way better than Godsmack.
Old 04-17-03, 09:47 AM

yeah, ask them why when they were nobodies they were down with all the people they knew back home that they grew up with, and when they made it big, they suddenly forgot everybody that supported them when they were nobodies.
Old 04-17-03, 11:29 AM

Godsmack??? Sounds a little too much like "ChristPunch", Moe Sizlak's original name idea for the Springfield motorcycle gang....or was it a name idea for the flash in the pan BE SHARPS? Me fergets. Anyway, ask "Sully" about that one. Sons a bitches.
Old 04-17-03, 11:42 AM
Retired

They got the name from Alice in Chains, one of their favorite bands. As stated above is the title of an AiC song.
Old 04-17-03, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

hmm, i don't care for these guys but i recall reading in an interview that they chose the name godsmack cuz one guy had a cold sore and was made fun of alot by the singer, then a few days later the singer got a cold sore. someone commented that it was if the hand of god came down and gave him a smack.
Old 04-17-03, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,075 Likes on 650 Posts
I had read that when they originally got started as a band they were an Alice In Chains cover band. Ask them if that is true.

As far as people thinking they sound like AIC, I totally agree. I am a huge AIC fan and have always liked Godsmack b/c they always sound very similar to AIC. Now that my beloved AIC is dead, they are the next best thing (but don't get me worng...they are nowhere near as good).

Why can't Cantrell make a decent full-length solo album?
Old 04-17-03, 09:46 PM

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
They got the name from Alice in Chains, one of their favorite bands.
That's not the way they tell it. On the MTV 20: Rock DVD, they say the name came about because Sully had a mark on his face, and Robbie said "It looks like God smacked you." Cue lightbulb (according to the MTV interview).
Old 04-17-03, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I've heard that story too. That just sounds like a LOAD. There first album was heavily influenced by AIC. Does that mean that they sound alike. No. Similar but not quite. Plus the past two albums are quite differnt from the first.

Yes, AIC is much better.

Ask them to head up an effort for an AIC/Layne Staley tribute CD. They of course have to come clean and admit they used the AIC song title for their band name. And record that song as well. Now that would rock.

Want a band that sounds like AIC... check out Dust for Life. They probably started out as a AIC cover band.
Old 04-17-03, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by Drive-In Nut
Godsmack??? Sounds a little too much like "ChristPunch"
LMAOOOOOO

Back to subject:
I would like to know how they feel about all this rap/rock crap!
Im being serious.
Old 04-17-03, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,728 Likes on 1,884 Posts
Who's the chick with the pierced lip on the cover of their first album?
Old 04-17-03, 11:27 PM

I have two questions, and the first is a joke, but the second one is 100% serious. and I mean that.

1. How does it feel to have a musically and lyrically superior band like the Deftones open for you, have 7,000 people show up just to see them and then just leave?

2. Will you be writing any songs soon that don't deal with the following subjects - "I'm alone", "stay away from me", and "you don't understand me"?
Old 04-18-03, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by brianluvdvd
I had read that when they originally got started as a band they were an Alice In Chains cover band. Ask them if that is true.

As far as people thinking they sound like AIC, I totally agree. I am a huge AIC fan and have always liked Godsmack b/c they always sound very similar to AIC. Now that my beloved AIC is dead, they are the next best thing (but don't get me worng...they are nowhere near as good).

Why can't Cantrell make a decent full-length solo album?
They admitted I thought that they were a cover band. Maybe they gathered a large enough following and decided to just keep the same name when they got big. People tend to think that "Faceless" and "Facelift" are "too similar" and that they are copying AIC. I think that's ridiculous.

Hmm, I can't find any correlation between the sounds of Godsmack and AIC, and this is coming from a huge fan as well. Their first album sounded more like watered down Metallica than anything else. I don't know where people get this idea. I mean, it's all in your own interpretation, but it's like one guy says "oh they ripped off the name of this other band, they wanna be just like them lets boycott them!"

The only real thing tying them to AIC's sound is the fact that they are probably the only band out their right now actually TRYING to make Grunge music still hehe.

Damn man, how can you say that about Cantrell? I didn't like either albums much at first, but I have GREAT respect for them now. My question is why does he have to OPEN for ***** like Nickelback?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.