Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

GTA Vice City 'the driver' mission help

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-03, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GTA Vice City 'the driver' mission help

Ok, I got to this mission the other day and it's pretty much impossible for me to beat.

Can someone give some tips...or tell me what cheats i can use that won't screw the save games up?

Thanks
Old 04-16-03, 11:48 AM
Suspended

Location: Sonoran Desert; a place where it doesn't matter whether or not one can pronounce Donnacha.
Sorry, this is one mission that you have to win "fair and square". Basically you can't make any mistakes and need to stay directly behind Hillary. Eventually you'll get lucky and Hillary will crash into traffic where you can take over the lead. Again you'll have to drive perfectly, but if you can overtake him (and then drive perfectly) you will win. After the "Driver" mission comes one of my favorite missions "The Job" and it's well worth the hard work! Not only that but you get a cool "Friday the 13th-Jason" outfit to go with it!
Old 04-16-03, 12:03 PM

There are a couple of methods that I've heard of, one get your wanted level to 3 prior to starting the race, the cops then may take Hilary out while chasing you. The other is to drive into the back end of his car on one of the early turns, causing him to spin out. I've never had to use any of these methods as I lucked out on this mission and he crashed somewhere offscreen and I got ahead of him. I just looked at the screen, noticed I was in 1st and drove into the finish.
Old 04-16-03, 01:25 PM
Cool New Member

Very simple
Alexkat said it.

On that first long straightaway, tap his rear quarterpanel. He will spin out and crash. It should be smooth sailing from there.

I tried to race him straigh up a few times. It was nearly impossible. Then I accidently tapped him and won.
Old 04-16-03, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Basically you have to drive perfectly AND either hope that Hilary crashes or cause Hilary to crash. Keep trying! You'll win this eventually.

This mission was pretty difficult, but not as hard as the race in GTA3 where you're racing against invincible cheetahs - I had to do this while the mafia was shooting shotguns at me too, since I did the mission pretty late in the game. It was next to impossible, but I did manage to beat it - as I was within sight of the finish, my car burst into flames from so many bullet holes, and it blew up JUST after I crossed the finish. Crazy.
Old 04-16-03, 03:04 PM
Suspended

There is a pretty easy way to win this race. Park your fav fast car outside the police station off to the side of the road (right on the race route). When the race starts race to the car, get out of the car you are in and into that car. If you use a Cheetah, you will EASILY catch up and win the race. You'll pass the computer car about halfway through the race. It's a little trick someone posted once before.
Old 04-16-03, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by OzFan23
There is a pretty easy way to win this race. Park your fav fast car outside the police station off to the side of the road (right on the race route). When the race starts race to the car, get out of the car you are in and into that car. If you use a Cheetah, you will EASILY catch up and win the race. You'll pass the computer car about halfway through the race. It's a little trick someone posted once before.
I'll add that sometimes the car may or may not disappear. Also, it's good to leave the car door open when you leave, it'll increase the chances of it still being there when you start the race.
Old 04-16-03, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My own strategy

Go get the Packer (car hauler) from the film studio, then park it down the street from the club just before the first turn. Position the truck so that the ramps on the back are near the bridge and the front of the truck is across the center line. This effectively blocks Hillary's lane completely.

Get out of the truck leaving the door open and RUN all the way to the Malibu Club. Get through the cinematics quickly to the start of the race. As you approach the 3rd checkpoint you will see the truck still blocking Hillary's lane. The fool will try to go around the back of the truck, but will only succeed in pushing it against the bridge. This will buy you a good 20 - 30 seconds while he tries to recover, so when he dives at the back of the truck, just go around the front of the truck and hit every checkpoint. There is one just the other side of the truck, so don't forget it.

From here on your biggest concern is the cops. They will try to double-up on you at the intersection just north of Washington Mall, then again at the bridge north of the hardware store. Just slow down a little more than usual and avoid them as best you can.

I was so far ahead of Hillary when I did this I never saw him in my
rear-view, even up to the very end. It makes it almost too easy.

Almost
Old 04-17-03, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nice advice, NC-36!

I was so frustrated on this mission. What I ended up doing was eventually race him outright. Almost to the middle of the race, where you catch up to him again (he has a quicker acceleration but slower top speed), I managed to push him into a tree!
Old 04-17-03, 10:28 AM
Cool New Member

You guys are making this WAY too hard. The tap on the rear side on that first straightaway to make him spin out is all you need.

Its the suggested method on most of all the walkthroughts I've read. I came across it when getting advice for the final mission.
Old 04-17-03, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've never managed to do it by just tapping him in that first turn. His recovery is always way too fast and he comes right back. I'll have to try the truck carrier.
Old 04-17-03, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This mission took me twice to complete.

The first time - I tried the spin out method. It didn't work, and I lost.

The second time, I just raced him. If you are a good enough driver - you'll eventually be able to catch up with him and pass him, just in time for a victory.

I recommend the second strategy.