Community
Search

Lost In La Mancha R1 - 6/24

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-03, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lost In La Mancha R1 - 6/24

Just noticed over at the Facets website that 'Lost In La Mancha' is being released as a 2 disc SE on 24th June.
I already know it is available in R2 as a single disc SE so will be interesting to see how it will differ from this.

Last edited by RichDB10; 04-16-03 at 10:33 AM.
Old 04-16-03, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Great news! Very smooth documentary
Old 04-16-03, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fantastic -- hopefully it will do well. And then the studios will release Hearts of Darkness.
Old 04-16-03, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
I wonder what they could be adding to justify a 2nd disk. The only thing I can think of would be a lot of deleted scenes.
Old 04-16-03, 12:16 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This is what I found when I searched for features on the R2 disk. The R1 I think would be similar...

9 Deleted Scenes
5 "Video Portraits"
6 themed collections of "Soundbites" (30 mins)
Interview with Terry Gilliam by Mark Kermode (30 mins)
Interview with Johnny Depp by Demetrious Matheou (20 mins)
Photo galleries:
- Set Designs
- Costume Designs
- Stills gallery
- Storyboards for 3 scenes
Theatrical trailer
3 bonus trailers
Old 04-16-03, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
Saw this in theaters and while a very interesting look at filmmaking, it really is depressing when you consider what it was meant to be and what it wound up being in the end.

Not exactly spoilers, but....

...the documentary was meant to show Gilliam bringing a long time passion to the screen, instead it more or less catalogs his failure and proves what a challenge it is to get a movie made. Not that it shows him in a negative light, it's just that everything that could go wrong with the film did, and that was why it got torpedoed after a week of production.
Oh, and from the test footage, the giants were cool!!!
Old 04-16-03, 05:23 PM

Gotta agree with the Doc. It's kind of said and it really makes you want to see the film (it does end on a somewhat positive note). I'll probably pick up the DVD so I can examine all the pre-production art!
Old 04-16-03, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The R2 was a single disc whereas the R1 will be 2 discs so i would imagine that the R1 would contain additional material compared to the R2.

According to the website it will contain interviews with Salman Rushdie and Elvis Mitchell and Terry Gilliam
Old 04-16-03, 05:41 PM

Gilliam always hooks up with fantastic editions of his films. Loved this, and can't wait till June 24.
Old 04-16-03, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Sounds like a nice package. This is interesting stuff to me so I'll definately pick this up. Like Rich said, the R1 should have more content than the R2.... yay for R1!
Old 04-16-03, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
While it would be kind of superfluous, do you think that Gilliam will do a commentary track? He always does good commentaries!

One scene that really sticks out in the documentary is when the Assistant Director informs Gilliam that they cannot make the movie he (Gilliam) wants to make. The look of disdain and sorrow on Terry's face is very legit and really makes you feel for the man, even if you don't have much background with his films.
Old 04-17-03, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Temp only" cover art from The Digital Bits:

I can't believe that they're releasing this as a 2-disc set. It's great, but I didn't expect this much attention for a little documentary. Now, what does Salman Rushdie have to do with this film?
Old 04-17-03, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm really looking forward to seeing this--it seems like Gilliam always has problems getting his films made--just look at everything that happened with Brazil, and watch The Hamster Factor on the 12 Monkeys disc. The Doc. seems fascinating, can't wait to see it.
Old 04-17-03, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by cupcake jesus
I'm really looking forward to seeing this--it seems like Gilliam always has problems getting his films made--just look at everything that happened with Brazil, and watch The Hamster Factor on the 12 Monkeys disc. The Doc. seems fascinating, can't wait to see it.
I agree. It seems like there's always something with each Gilliam film. Actually, the worst problems he's had making a film were probably during Munchausen (with the obvious exception of Don Quixote). The problems with Brazil were in getting the darn thing released. The problems with Fear and Loathing were with getting the proper writing credit. The Munchausen disc should be visited by Criterion. I know they did the laser disc, but I've never seen it.
Old 04-17-03, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by evenswr
The Munchausen disc should be visited by Criterion. I know they did the laser disc, but I've never seen it.
The Baron Munchausen Criterion laserdisc is one of the best Special Editions ever made, in my opinion. Tons and tons of facinating material.

By the way, a big for this Lost In La Mancha DVD set -- looks great! It appears that A&E is doing the release for this, so people should wait to see what price DeepDiscountDVD will have... they usually have A&E titles at about 40-45% off retail.
Old 04-17-03, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Originally posted by bboisvert
[B]The By the way, a big for this Lost In La Mancha DVD set -- looks great! It appears that A&E is doing the release for this, so people should wait to see what price DeepDiscountDVD will have... they usually have A&E titles at about 40-45% off retail.
Major coolness! Outstanding tip.... thanks!