Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Cheapest/easiest way to sound proof a room?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 04-16-03, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,

In the near future I'm going to moving into a house of my own and I'm going to have a room designated for my home theater. I'm going to want to sound proof the room so that I can listen to my movies at a high volume, but still not disturb the rest of the house. Ideally, I'd like to be able to have the rest of the house asleep and still be able to play movies at a decent level.

Any tips or hints are appreciated.
Old 04-16-03, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Cheapest/easiest way to sound proof a room?

Originally posted by Bechman 2000
Hey guys,

In the near future I'm going to moving into a house of my own and I'm going to have a room designated for my home theater. I'm going to want to sound proof the room so that I can listen to my movies at a high volume, but still not disturb the rest of the house. Ideally, I'd like to be able to have the rest of the house asleep and still be able to play movies at a decent level.

Any tips or hints are appreciated.
Well there are many ways but bear in mind "soundproof" is much different that sound deadening.

You can build false walls, 2 layers of sheetrock, sound isolation mating etc. Depends on your budget and your room space.

Personally I went standard wood studs with insulation and 5/8" sheetrock over 1/2" sheetrock with all the drywall screwed and glued. I also had a seperate, isolated platform built for my subwoofer and filled that with 120 pounds of sand and dynamated all the wood surfaces before enclosing.

Lots on the net including some other sites.

Good luck!