Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Where to get Hong Kong Legends Disks? [merged]

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Where to get Hong Kong Legends Disks? [merged]

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-01, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions regarding HONG KONG LEGENDS label

Now that I've discovered my iMac will play other-region DVDs, I'm going to dip into some R2 releases, particularly from the HONG KONG LEGENDS company.

Two questions regarding HKL:
1) Is there a favored place to order these online?
2) Do they come in Amarays or those all-plastic boxes?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-25-01, 01:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the cheapest place is Bensons World. They have good service as well. All of the movies come in clear Amarays. The prices on Bansons World range from 12 to 15.99 pounds. There is also no shipping charge there. Here is the adress. http://www.bensonsworld.co.uk/index.htm

Last edited by ScreachingWeasel; 08-25-01 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-26-01, 12:38 PM

I'll strongly second the recommendation for Bensons World.
Old 08-27-01, 10:26 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I have used www.blackstar.co.uk or 2 years now and they are the best, in my opinion.
Old 08-28-01, 09:38 PM

If you live in the U.S. and want to buy from a domestic store, I believe Poker Industries is now stocking a number of HKL titles.
Old 08-28-01, 10:10 PM

Originally posted by Klotera
If you live in the U.S. and want to buy from a domestic store, I believe Poker Industries is now stocking a number of HKL titles.
True but they're about $10 more and that's not including shipping, whereas shipping is free at Bensons World.
Old 08-28-01, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by codefree

True but they're about $10 more and that's not including shipping, whereas shipping is free at Bensons World.
True Dat!!
Old 08-28-01, 11:58 PM

Thanks for the Benson's World recommendation -- I ended up ordering from them.

I'm impressed that after I placed my order, I was sent an e-mail that said something to the effect of "We just wanted to make sure you know this a Region 2 disc and have the means to play it. We don't want to send something you can't use; please reply."

That's great customer service.
Old 11-18-01, 11:10 AM
Rza
Cool New Member

where i can buy Hong Kong Legends DVDs?

can anyone tell me a good site to buy these Hong Kong Legends
dvd?
i know they're pal/r2
Old 11-18-01, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

www.amazon.co.uk
www.blackstar.co.uk

Bensonsworld
Under18
Old 11-18-01, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

www.under18.org.uk are by far the cheapest place to get them and despite complaints from others I have found them to be a very good etailer.
Old 11-18-01, 12:42 PM

www.bensonsworld.co.uk is my favorite UK etailer! The previously mentioned Under18 does have a great deal going on many of the HKL titles right now.
Old 11-19-01, 02:48 AM
Rza
Cool New Member

thanks
do all these places ship to the usa?
Old 11-19-01, 01:14 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rza, I'd strongly recommend that you check out the sites mentioned and work through to their respective help/service pages. Some kind, knowledgeable soul may well answer your follow-up question but perhaps others are thinking, "Hmm, will he be asking us the shipping costs next?"

NB) There is some good information to be found on this forum by using the search page and also by checking out where members are based i.e. if they recommend a specific e-tailer and are themselves based in the US then the likelihood is that it ships to the US.
Old 11-19-01, 04:11 PM
Cool New Member

www.pokerindustries.com have many of them, and they are located in New Jersey. I ordered Police Story from them last Wednesday and received it Saturday! Beats ordering from the U.K.
Old 11-19-01, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by jfinesse2000
Beats ordering from the U.K.
Only if you enjoy paying full list price for your DVDs. Police Story is available from several UK etailers for half what Poker are charging. Of course there are additional shipping costs but even so you will always be paying less by buying from the country of manufacture than from importers.
Old 11-19-01, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by jonathan.e

Only if you enjoy paying full list price for your DVDs. Police Story is available from several UK etailers for half what Poker are charging. Of course there are additional shipping costs but even so you will always be paying less by buying from the country of manufacture than from importers.
Absolutely true. Especially if I can get Police Story for about $17.65 shipped from UK to US.

Only concern is floaters and I swear on my gerbils grave that 80% of all HKL discs I get are floating higher than Jerry Garcia in heaven..
Old 11-19-01, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by Rza
thanks
do all these places ship to the usa?
Yes, BensonsWorld, BlackStar, and Under18 ship to the US!
Old 11-19-01, 06:10 PM
Cool New Member

Cost isn't everything. I'm not worried about paying a few dollars more if I'm getting what I want quickly. Plus if I get a bad disc, I don't have to ship it all the way back to England and wait again for delivery.
Old 11-19-01, 10:08 PM
Rza
Cool New Member

thanks again.
Old 11-23-01, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looks like one etailer has taken themselves out of the game inasmuchas www.under18.org.uk no longer ship to the US.
Old 11-23-01, 04:55 PM

Looks like one etailer has taken themselves out of the game inasmuchas www.under18.org.uk no longer ship to the US.
WTF? They sent me an email reply today saying that my 2000 AD HKL disc will be shipped next week and that they're sending a replacement shipment out ASAP for my missing Purple Storm HKL disc. They darn well better still ship those two to me! If your news is true then that's a shame as they frequently have good prices on this DVD series.
Old 11-23-01, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yep, I just checked out there tonight and that message came up "because of the number of lost shipments". I tried to post this in the Under18 thread but am unable to find it with the search function.
Old 11-24-01, 12:24 PM

Shoot, I think you're right, USA doesn't even show up in the drop list when you check out. SAD, for I only got 8 dvd's on that HKL sale. I guess I have to give bensonsworld a try. And I thought I was gonna get my new John Woo HKL dvd's from these guys, ah well.
Old 11-24-01, 02:31 PM

Lost shipments? Sounds like they just had too many problems with US customers complaining about the shoddy nature of the discs received and packaging, rightfully so it would seem. Bensons is quite good despite the low rent look of their website. I have had missing shipments from them in the past. They still offer free shipping, whereas Blackstar has canned that if I recall correct. I will say however, that Bensons are quite responsive and sent out replacements promptly. I find Blackstar's packaging to be done more compentently though. Benson's seem to ship faster, probably a byproduct of being in England near a major shipping center, whereas Blackstar is actually outside of England. As to which is more customs friendly, Blackstar always marks the value of the merchandise correctly, whereas Bensons have been a bit inconsistent (ie: a replacement order listed the full value whereas as other normal shipments had not).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.