Old 04-15-03, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
American Idol theme - 4/15/03?

Anyone know yet?
Old 04-15-03, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts
I saw on another website that the theme is supposed to be Billy Joel songs. Then got this from Billyjoel.com:

American Idol Finalists to "Move Out" on Special Billy Joel Episode Tuesday, April 15
American Idol will feature a very special Billy Joel themed episode on Tuesday, April 15 (8-9 PM ET Live) on FOX. The special episode will also feature an exclusive "American Idol" interview with Billy Joel. Joel will also provide a brief history and commentary on each of his classic songs performed live by the seven remaining finalists.

Interesting. A cool concept, even cooler that they got the artist to do commentary (though I'm guessing that he's not actually going to be there to guest judge).
Old 04-15-03, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I heard it was Billy Joel tunes. Maybe he'll be there too?
Old 04-15-03, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by fujishig
I saw on another website that the theme is supposed to be Billy Joel songs. Then got this from Billyjoel.com:

American Idol Finalists to "Move Out" on Special Billy Joel Episode Tuesday, April 15
American Idol will feature a very special Billy Joel themed episode on Tuesday, April 15 (8-9 PM ET Live) on FOX. The special episode will also feature an exclusive "American Idol" interview with Billy Joel. Joel will also provide a brief history and commentary on each of his classic songs performed live by the seven remaining finalists.

Interesting. A cool concept, even cooler that they got the artist to do commentary (though I'm guessing that he's not actually going to be there to guest judge).
oops, ya beat me to it
Old 04-15-03, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

On a side note, I am surprised that they don't have a yodeling theme yet, in an effort to keep Carmen on the show. They are blatantly pushing her and Reuben (and maybe Clay). I mean, that Coke spot last week where Reuben was dreaming about her (Get Out of My Dreams and Into My Car), and NONE of the other female contestants were even involved...
Old 04-15-03, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by fujishig
On a side note, I am surprised that they don't have a yodeling theme yet, in an effort to keep Carmen on the show. They are blatantly pushing her and Reuben (and maybe Clay). I mean, that Coke spot last week where Reuben was dreaming about her (Get Out of My Dreams and Into My Car), and NONE of the other female contestants were even involved...
Well, they did that ford spot with Josh and Kim C, as well, so I don't think their promos are any kind of propaganda beyond shilling a product.
Old 04-15-03, 02:30 PM

Received 772 Likes on 504 Posts
"... it's still Rock 'n Roll to me!"
Old 04-15-03, 02:37 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I saw a clip from the interview they had with Billy Joel for the tonight. In it, he made an interesting observation about the show:

Spoiler:
"OMG! Kelly!"
Old 04-15-03, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just thought it odd that Carmen was in the commercial on the week after she got the lowest number of votes, and was a prime candidate for being booted. They've been playing off of her looks for a while now, and that was accentuated in the commercial. Even though the judges admit her singing isn't spectacular, they always praise her appeal (well, paula does that for all the bad singers).
Old 04-15-03, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My guess for songs to be sung:

Clay - Uptown Girl (or Tell Her About It)
Kim C - It's Only Rock and Roll to me.
Joshua - We Didn't Start The Fire
Kim L - Movin' Out
Ruben - Only The Good Die Young
Trenyce - Innocent Man
Carmen - Say Goodbye to Hollywood (I'm cruel, I know)
Old 04-15-03, 04:16 PM

Received 772 Likes on 504 Posts
I think that Josh should sing "Shameless." Billy Joel wrote it. Garth Brooks recorded and released it. Then later Billy Joel recorded and released it himself.

Carmen should sing "Piano Man."

Ruben should sing "Honesty" or "Just the Way You Are."

And Clay should sing "Entertainer." It's not a popular song, but I think he could pull it off.

Songs they should avoid are "We Didn't Stop the Fire," "Goodnight Saigon," "You're Only Human," and "New York State of Mind."

Next Week should be parody week with Wierd Al as the guest judge. He's got nothing better to do.
Old 04-15-03, 04:18 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I wonder if they'll try "The Longest Time" as the group song?
Old 04-15-03, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Has Joel written many songs that were sung by female artists? At least Bacharach was more of a composer than a performer. It might help out the men a lot more, though (and the theme seems to be vote off a female, then a male). Especially Clay, who should excel in this one.

Can you imagine if they had them all (including the men) sing Mariah Carey songs, when she's the guest judge?
Old 04-15-03, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wanna hear Clay do "Allentown" (my favorite Billy Joel guilty pleasure song). He'll probably do "An Innocent Man". "Big Man on Mulberry Street" would also be an interesting choice.

Josh could do a countrified "My Life".

Reuben should do "Just the Way You Are".

Carmen could do "Tell Her About It".

Kim C. could do "Only the Good Die Young" or "Big Shot" or "It's Still Rock & Roll".

I don't know about Kimberly L. I could also hear her doing "Just the Way You Are."

Can't think of a good one for Trenyce.

Too bad Rickey was kicked off, I could hear him doing "Uptown Girl".

Last edited by Jadzia; 04-15-03 at 05:05 PM.