Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Brazil, Criterion or bare bones?

Old 04-14-03, 06:30 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered the bare bones Brazil on Saturday night from DDD and last night I thought maybe I should go with the Criterion set instead. I emailed them last night to make the change and today they e-mailed that they had already shipped the bare bones version. I have never seen this movie before but have heard great things about the Criterion set I thought I'd look into it but after seeing the price difference I chose the bare bones. Should I send it back to get the Criterion or keep the bare bones thats comming?
Old 04-14-03, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
I'd rent/borrow it first. It's not everyone's cup o' tea.

If you love it, then the Criterion is a must-have. Try DVD Planet for a decent price.
Old 04-14-03, 07:02 PM
Banned

I agree with Opus' post. You may definately want to rent this title before slapping down $40+ on Brazil. This one's a hit or miss - as I've never heard a middle of the road opinion of this film.

There are significant differences between the versions that would otherwise justify the purchase, as follows:

1) The 3 disk set is loaded with extras

2) The 3 disk set has both versions of the film, each with different endings. One, which is on the bare bones, is the "happy" ending version. The other is Gilliam's intended version, which does not have a "happy" ending. So, in effect, you're getting different films .. sort to speak.

3) There's a fairly decent interview with Gilliam on the 3 disk set and I'm not sure this is on the bare bones version.. I could be wrong though.

I own the Criterion version for a variety of reasons, one of which is love for the film .. second, for both versions of it. If you' re into dark humor, of the anti-establishment mindset and can deal with seeing Deniro not in a lead role .. then at least rent it. It is a noteworthy title if anything else.

Will
Old 04-14-03, 09:36 PM

Originally posted by TomOpus
I'd rent/borrow it first. It's not everyone's cup o' tea.

If you love it, then the Criterion is a must-have. Try DVD Planet for a decent price.
100% agreed. &nbsp People either love of hate this film, there doesn't seem to be a middle ground. &nbsp Rent it first. &nbsp After that, if you like it, pick up the 3-disc Criterion edition.
Old 04-14-03, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Everything that's been said -
Amd one more factor - if you are seriously into film, the two different versions on the Criterion edition offer the best demonstration ever of the power of editing - the same material has been reshaped and reformed to create a completely different movie. Makes you understand why directors insist on final cut....
Old 04-14-03, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Criterion's disc is the way to go. I'm personally biased against Brazil -- it's my favorite film ever -- but I think even if you don't "get it" at first (and I didn't), the extensive supplemental material will further your appreciation of the film.

It's maddening... and it's brilliant. I say it's worth the extra $$$. And Tuesday, that's your turn in the barrel.
Old 04-14-03, 09:56 PM

I'll add that if you do get the Criterion, you shouldn't have any problem recouping the cost if you don't like it. It is pretty steady in the prices that people will pay.
Old 04-15-03, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by KWilliamTaylor
2) The 3 disk set has both versions of the film, each with different endings. One, which is on the bare bones, is the "happy" ending version. The other is Gilliam's intended version, which does not have a "happy" ending. So, in effect, you're getting different films .. sort to speak.
It my understanding that the bare bones version is the 142 minute Director's Cut. The packaging incorrectly states that it's the 132 minute American theatrical version. So the bare bones edition is the same version found on disc one of the Criterion set. I don't actually have the bare bones edition to verify this, but I've seen this stated enough times to believe it.

The one with the happy ending is the "Love Conquers All" version, aka The Seinberg edit. It's only available on DVD in the Criterion set.

I got the Criterion set on a blind buy and have been extremly happy with it.
Old 04-15-03, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by KWilliamTaylor
I agree with Opus' post. You may definately want to rent this title before slapping down $40+ on Brazil. This one's a hit or miss - as I've never heard a middle of the road opinion of this film.
Just chiming in to say that this is 100% correct. I'm a big fan of Gilliam's work but Brazil was a complete misfire IMHO... I hated it. It's very much a love/hate type of film and not something that I would even consider plunking down $43.16 for blindly. However, the CC set is quite nice if you're a fan of the film - minus the lack of an anamorphic transfer - other than that, it's loaded. My advice - keep the barebones Universal, pick it up from Columbia House with an enrollment or rent it. If you love it, dump it on eBay and buy the CC.

Also... "It my understanding that the bare bones version is the 142 minute Director's Cut. The packaging incorrectly states that it's the 132 minute American theatrical version. So the bare bones edition is the same version found on disc one of the Criterion set. I don't actually have the bare bones edition to verify this, but I've seen this stated enough times to believe it." < This is correct.
Old 04-15-03, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by Johnny Zhivago
Just chiming in to say that this is 100% correct. I'm a big fan of Gilliam's work but Brazil was a complete misfire IMHO... I hated it.
How can you be a Gilliam fan and hate Brazil? It is the very epitome of his filmmaking style. If you don't like Brazil, I can't imagine you liking anything else he has ever done. What is it of his that you do like?
Old 04-15-03, 03:12 PM

The Criterion version is just a multiple version of the movie on each disc plus added features. You have to appreciate the film first before purchasing it.
Old 04-15-03, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Josh Z
How can you be a Gilliam fan and hate Brazil? It is the very epitome of his filmmaking style. If you don't like Brazil, I can't imagine you liking anything else he has ever done. What is it of his that you do like?
Josh - It's hard to explain but Brazil did not click with me, at all. It was tedious and painful to endure. Gilliam directed films on DVD that I own > 12 Monkeys CE, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas CC and The Fisher King... The Holy Grail... I would also gladly pick up Time Bandits CC if it had an anamorphic transfer. Hell, I even liked a lot of Baron Munchausen. I like/love the (majority) of the man's films but Brazil is not one of them.
Old 04-15-03, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Since Brazil is probably my favorite Terri Gilliam movie, I'm very glad to own the Criterion version. The supplemental stuff is really interesting, even though I'm not ordinarily a big fan of supplements. I'd think it might even be interesting to someone who didn't really like the movie.

If you do like the movie, after a viewing (or maybe two viewings of disk 2), you'll probably be sticking to the first disk. I really doubt I'll ever watch the Love Conquers all version again, but it was pretty interesting to watch once.

Last edited by Ginwen; 04-15-03 at 04:53 PM.