Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

The Pianist US DVD Disappointment again!!!

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-03, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey,
Thought this would be interesting for some people. Universal, messed up the Far From Heaven packaging in the US release, but the news gets even worse for The Pianist. From thedigitalbits.com:

"Those of you who loved Roman Polanski's The Pianist will be happy to learn that a 3-disc version Limited Edition of the film will be released in Region 1... but to Canadian consumers only. It will be a 2-DVD special edition, along with a 3rd disc - the CD soundtrack. That's a much more elaborate version than we'll get here in the States from Universal (which will be only a single disc). The title streets on 5/27 in Canada, and demand is sure to be high. So click here to pre-order the title from ThunderDVD.com if you're interested."

What is WRONG with Universal US to release two of the best movies of last year with such bad treatment in the US!!!
Old 04-14-03, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
unless you have something against Canada, why is it a problem? thanks for the tip though...I'm going to try to order it right now!
Old 04-14-03, 05:38 PM

No, no, I have nothing against Canada, and I am glad they gave a site that ships to the US and can charge in USD, however, it only means that it will take longer to receive it than just walking in the local store and buying it. Other than that, at least it is Region1 and we can still view it. I admit, it could be worse :-)

And I love the Canadian DVD Cover as opposed to the US cheesy rendition.

Last edited by VRaytchev; 04-14-03 at 05:46 PM.
Old 04-14-03, 05:43 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm going to make a pre-emptive mod note:

Please discuss the disc in this thread. Not who directed it, or why you're boycotting the disc, or anything like that.
Old 04-14-03, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This has pre-meditated re-release written all over it. Expect a studio re-release as a "SE" 6 months after it hits the store shelves. I'm not falling for this one.
Old 04-14-03, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

at amazon.ca it says the SE coming may 27th is in full frame but there's also release tomorrow (april 15th) is in widescreen but are there any xtras??

Can someone please clarify

Thanks!
Old 04-14-03, 07:18 PM
Suspended - needs to provide a working email

April 15th is the previous release date. It was pushed back to allow for extra post-Oscars box office time. In May 27th there will be American two releases: one in Widescreen, one in Full Screen. May 27th will also see the release of two Canadian releases: one two-disc special edition and one three-disc special edition which is identical to the two-disc but includes the soundtrack.

Of course, all that has been posted about five times since the announcement a few weeks ago. Search, search, search!