Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

BEWARE: Two versions of A&E's Napoleon

Old 04-14-03, 01:16 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those wishing to buy last week's A&E Napoleon min-series on DVD, there are 2-versions being released.

Not sure what the specs are on the regular version that will be released on 4/29, but I'm guessing it's the original broadcast version which was only two ~2 hour episodes.

But the 3-disc Collector's Edition will be released on 5/6 and wil feature a 8-hour extended cut spread over 4 episodes.

From A&E's site:
Order this special extended version of what you watched on A&EŽ. This version is the original 8-hour production of the show and does not include the narration featured in the TV miniseries. Here's your chance to relive the Napoleon legacy with this fantastic set!

From the campaign that transformed the Corsican outsider into a French hero to his bitter, final defeat at Waterloo, NAPOLEON charts the course of the man who defied centuries of tradition and forced his will upon a continent. Adapted by Didier Decoin (Les Miserables, Jakob the Liar) from Max Gallo's bestselling novel, this epic production explores the private struggles, political intrigues and bloody battles that marked Napoleon's tempestuous rise and rule.

Directed by Yves Simoneau (Nuremburg, Amelia Earhart), NAPOLEON boasts an extraordinary international cast featuring Isabella Rossellini, Gerard Depardieu, John Malkovich and Christian Clavier.

EPISODE 1: 1794
In the aftermath of the French Revolution, a young, unruly and unpaid Corsican general attracts the eye of the glamorous Josephine de Beauharnais (Isabella Rossellini), who has recently escaped the guillotine. They marry, but Napoleon's ambition leads him to Italy and Egypt, where he engineers starting victories for France. Returning a hero, he seizes power from the inept Directoire and installs himself as the leader of a new republic.

EPISODE 2:
Crowned Emperor of the French by the Pope, and with internal dissent stifled, Napoleon turns his attention to enemies beyond France's borders. But a decisive victory against a coalition of Austrian and Russian forces, which should herald peace, only leads to more fighting, and now some of Napoleon's closest allies, jealous of his immense power, begin to turn against him.

EPISODE 3:
In the aftermath of a costly campaign in Spain, Napoleon loses the loyalty of many of those closest to him. While he has defeated the latest alliance arrayed against him, the hard-won peace is fragile and he sees but one chance to preserve it--ally himself with Austria by marrying Marie Louise, the Emperor's daughter. She gives him an heir, but his joy is tempered by news that Russian troops are preparing for war.

EPISODE 4: 1812
Napoleon's "Great Army," 600,000 strong when it set out, is decimated by the Russian winter on the retreat from Moscow. With its destruction comes the end of Napoleon's ability to preserve his power, and his return to France is closely followed by invading Austrian and Russian troops--and exile for the man who forced his will upon a continent.

DVD Features: This Collector's Edition DVD contains 3 hours of bonus footage, including the following:

* Behind the Scenes Featurette
* 2-hour Bonus Program from A&EŽ: Napoleon and Wellington
* Biography Episode: Napoleon Bonaparte: The Glory of France
* Cast Biographies and Filmographies
* Interactive Menus
* Scene Selection
* This Collector's Edition DVD is presented in Full Screen Format
Old 04-14-03, 03:46 PM

I'm confused!!!

I ordered Napoleon CE from DDD (release date 5/6):
http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=ANE070912
They also offer a less expensive Napoleon (release date 4/29);
http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=BFD030579

Amazon offers a 3-disc Napoleon CE with the same specs as the DDD CE, but a release date of 4/29;
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd

After reading the DVD Talk review of the Napoleon CE (release date 4/29), I definitely want the longer one described above;
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=6057

Did I order the right one? For others who ordered the Napoleon CE from DDD I would suggest printing out the current webpage just in case.
Old 04-14-03, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
The only news here is that I won't give 2 red cents to Napoleon.

I think it was really pathetic of him to use his army to piss on the people of Europe. And so therefore, I will not be patronizing this Napoleo-moron.

Oh sorry, did I threadcrap all over a thread with a completely unrelated post? Glad Imhotep never does that....

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=285910

Last edited by The Antipodean; 04-14-03 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04-14-03, 04:14 PM

Originally posted by Sierra Disc
Smart money says he would kick Moore's butt in under 2 seconds- but back to the topic, thanks Imhotep for the exciting info re: an 8 hour release of Napoleon! I got depressed after reading the DVD Talk review saying that it was too much to squeeze into 4 hours...
Old 04-16-03, 05:32 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Sierra Disc

I think it was really pathetic of him to use his army to piss on the people of Europe. And so therefore, I will not be patronizing this Napoleo-moron.

Oh sorry, did I threadcrap all over a thread with a completely unrelated post? Glad Imhotep never does that....

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=285910

Hey, under Freedom of Speech you have every right to spoof my "threadcrapping", but Freedom of Speech also allows one to be a complete idiot. The problem lies in when the complete idiot gets upset when everybody else doesn't want to be a complete idiot with him. And that is exactly what Michael Moore wants when he said, "Most people in America think like him." While polls showed exactly the opposite. Something in the neighborhood of 97%-3% against Moore's idiotic viewpoints.

But anyway, back on topic:
mmguen. I'm a bit confussed as well, the Napoleon 3-disc CE with a supposed 8-hour cut with the 3rd disc supposedly being extras, I'm wondering how they're going to fit 8-hours of video on 2 discs. Unless they're flippers. Which may be totally possible. But I can't see anybody doing flippers anymore. Can you fit 240 minutes of fullscreen video on a regular double-layered single-sided DVD?
Old 05-02-03, 07:30 PM

Originally posted by Imhotep
mmguen. I'm a bit confused as well, the Napoleon 3-disc CE with a supposed 8-hour cut with the 3rd disc supposedly being extras, I'm wondering how they're going to fit 8-hours of video on 2 discs. Unless they're flippers. Which may be totally possible. But I can't see anybody doing flippers anymore. Can you fit 240 minutes of fullscreen video on a regular double-layered single-sided DVD?
Got my 3-disc set from DDD today and it has 3 single-sided dvds. Discs 1 & 2 are 4 hours each, Disc 3 has 3 hours of supplements. Can't wait to watch it now!
Old 05-02-03, 11:39 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

I'm the one who reviewed it here and it is the Collector's Edition, 3 disc set. Max and I have been going back and forth on this one (on friendly terms, unlike some of the stuff above) since I've been assured that my version is indeed the longest version and it clocked in at about 6 hours (including all the repeated credits-otherwise it'd be about 5 1/2 hours).

I'm waiting for Max to tell me the markings on his dvd hubs to see if something is amiss. They are dual layer, single sided discs for those who care. Questions? (Feel free to email me)

PS: I've convinced a local rental outlet to let me glance at their 3 disc set when it comes in-it might help solve the mystery of the multiple lengths...
Old 05-05-03, 02:45 AM

Hi Don,
Sorry I was away this weekend- are these the numbers you were asking about;
Disc 1- 077220A1/ B1
Disc 2- 077230A1/ B1

I haven't had time to watch these but I skipped through the chapters on Disc 1 on Friday prior to posting- Episode 1 ran 14 chapters, 131 minutes after the credits. Episode 2 also ran 14 chapters for 131 minutes after the credits, totaling over 4 hours on my dvd player counter.
Old 05-05-03, 06:39 AM
Emeritus Reviewer

Hi Max!
I've been studying for a work related matter (I have sooooo many reviews to actually write, I've watched the shows though) and been less than available anyway.

The numbers on the discs seem similar:
1) 077220
2) 077230

But I get ~90/91 minutes on each episode. When I first looked, it had a time code that led me to think it was just 91 minutes per disc but the way they were mastered into two sections (90 minutes each) was misleading. I watched the entire show before reviewing it and it didn't seem like even 6 hours to me and it still looked like large gaps were cut out in the way it jumped around.

When I get a chance next weekend, I'll take a closer look. I may wait until after writing some 30 reviews though...
Old 05-05-03, 12:33 PM

Don, appreciate all your insight and good luck with your reviews. Keep up the good work, you're doing an awesome job!
Old 05-06-03, 08:25 PM
WaD

--not to mention a few other versions of previous Napoleon releases have appeared to further confuse.