Audio Dropouts on Harry Potter: Chamber of Secrets

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-03, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone experienced any audio dropouts while watching Harry Potter: Chamber of Secrets? I was trying to watch the widescreen version yesterday and the audio kept dropping out every other minute or so and not always in the same place.

For example, the audio would drop out, I would rewind a bit, and then it would sound fine. At first, I thought it was my DVD player so I tired watching through my XBox and had the same problem. I did notice that the audio signal light on my receiver would blink whenever the sound would drop out. I have never had this problem before. I know that the DVD is supposed to be Dolby Digital 5.1 EX and my receiver doesn't support that, but this has never been an issue with any other DD EX DVD. I tried changing to the Spanish track but experienced the same thing. Is the Spanish track in 5.1 DD EX as well?

My equipment list:

DVD: JVX XV-65GD
Receiver: Outlaw Audio 1050

I'm going to try exchanging my DVD for another copy but I don't see how it can be the DVD since the audio drops out in different places all the time. So sad.

-john
Old 04-12-03, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sorry, but no problem with my copy. Sounds like you got stuck with a bum disc.
Old 04-12-03, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No sound problems on my disk.

I did have a slight pause when Harry was reading the diary. I am thinking that this is the layer change. Anybody else notice this? Is this the layer change?

I am gonna check that part out again on a differant player to double check.
Old 04-12-03, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just watched mine, and I had no problem whats so ever
Old 04-12-03, 12:22 PM

No sound problems, an ugly layer change or 2 (on my old Sony probably not on my newer players - don't think any at the diary scenes though). Sorry you got a bad disc
Old 04-12-03, 01:12 PM
Suspended - needs to provide a working email

No problems on mine, either.
Old 04-12-03, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
no problems and no slight pause or stutter on the layer change either on my panasonic RP62.
Old 04-12-03, 08:20 PM

I am pretty sure it is my receiver as I have tried several different DVD players and have exchanged my DVD for a new one. Same problem. I would hate to have to change my receiver as I love my Outlaw 1050. Any other Outlaw 1050 owners out there?
Old 04-12-03, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Watched it last night and no problems here.
Old 04-13-03, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by kaisha no saru
No sound problems, an ugly layer change or 2 (on my old Sony probably not on my newer players - don't think any at the diary scenes though). Sorry you got a bad disc
Definitely two distinct pauses on my disc too. And I have a new Panasonic. Not enough to get in a huff over, but very bizarre nonetheless. I guess one is the layer change ... who knows what the other is.
Old 04-13-03, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My 1 pause was when Harry was reading the diary ( I think. I may just have to watch it again to verify ).

Where were you're two pauses?

My DVD player is a Panasonic as well. My model is a DVD-CV52

Maybe it is a panasonic issue.

Only other movie that I have ever had a pause in for a layer change is Tommorow Never Dies, but I believe that this is a common problem with this DVD.
Old 04-13-03, 09:44 PM

Outlaw Audio 1050

Originally posted by John Vo
I am pretty sure it is my receiver as I have tried several different DVD players and have exchanged my DVD for a new one. Same problem. I would hate to have to change my receiver as I love my Outlaw 1050. Any other Outlaw 1050 owners out there?
I own an Outlaw Audio 1050 and am experiencing the same problem as you. I also had a problem with Minority Report when using Dolby Digital... Prologic and DTS were OK.

Outlaw obviously has a problem dealing with 5.1 EX down conversions. Time to look for a new receiver.
Old 04-13-03, 11:03 PM
Cool New Member

Hey all,

Have an Outlaw here and same problem. This is only the second DVD I've had this problem with. The first was Atlantis. It's disappointing, and frustrating. I don't know what Outlaw will do about it, but they are a top notch company. They have upgraded me in the past for a dts issue (bass management). They've been great in the past. I don't think buying a new receiver would be the first thing I would do. I'd like a fix on this one. Perhaps they have a firmware update. I'll ask them. It is very concerning to say the least.

VTS
Old 04-13-03, 11:09 PM
Cool New Member

By the way John Vo.....I have an Outlaw 1050 and I tried it with my Toshiba DVD player and my HTPC and it IS the Outlaw. Just shot off an email to Outlaw. I hope this isnt going to be a trend with newer DVD's.

Such a shame because the Outlaw is a relaible and sweet sounding receiver. I'll post their response.

VTS
Old 04-13-03, 11:37 PM
Cool New Member

SOLUTION READ THIS OUTLAW OWNERS!!!!!!!!!

Hey 1050 Owners....just when I was getting scared about this issue....a fix appears to present itself.

Outlaw 1050 Owners....if you are having audio dropouts with some of the newer DD ES tracks...try this.

Press your speaker configuration button until REAR CENTER is displayed.....then press the ---> arrow and turn it ON (yes, even if you do not have a rear center, which I am guessing most of us don't). Then play the DVD. Your Outlaw will show Dolby 6,1 Surround and it should play fine. at least mine seems to.

Let me know how this works guys.

VTS
Old 04-14-03, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by tcoursen
My 1 pause was when Harry was reading the diary ( I think. I may just have to watch it again to verify ).

Where were you're two pauses?

My DVD player is a Panasonic as well. My model is a DVD-CV52

Maybe it is a panasonic issue.

Only other movie that I have ever had a pause in for a layer change is Tommorow Never Dies, but I believe that this is a common problem with this DVD.
I tried looking again last night, but couldn't track the firs one down again. For some reason, I seem to remember it being around the 45 minute mark and commenting to myself that that was awfully damn early for a layer change. And then the second pause was at the diary scene.

FWIW, it has been reported over at the HTF that the layer change is right after the Quidditch match.
Old 04-14-03, 05:01 PM
Ven

Played fine on my Pioneer DVL-919.
Old 04-14-03, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
I have a JVC RX-DV3 and have not experienced any audio drop outs nor have I experienced a pause of any kind during any of the numerous times I've watched this particular DVD. In fact I found it odd as this is the first time I've not noticed the layer change pause on a dual layer DVD. Where exactly is the layer change on this disc supposed to be anyway?
Old 04-15-03, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No problems for me with widescreen Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets and I am using an Outlaw 1050 with no center rear speaker. As it happens, my setting for rear center is "on" and my receiver shows "DD 6.1".
Old 04-16-03, 09:42 PM

Problem here!

The DVD stops in a few places in Chapter 19 when played in Toshiba 3800. I took it out, but no finger print or scrach found on the disc. I also cleaned the DVD player, then played it again and it still stopped at the same spot.

I played the DVD on my PC, but no problem at all.

I hope this is not something to do with WB's new "digital protection" ... here is an article about it:

"Harry Potter" DVD protection goes poof

http://news.com.com/2100-1023-938008.html
Old 04-16-03, 11:15 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
There would only be one layer change on your disc - triple-layer discs have not been released yet.
Old 04-16-03, 11:57 PM

Just curious, but, how did you rewind a disc?