DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

camcorder to dvd?

Old 04-11-03, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
camcorder to dvd?

um....this may be a dumb question but i am ignorant as ever when it comes to technology......but i was wondering if you can convert video from any camcorder to dvd.....and if you can do you need a specific camcorder?....and what other hardware is needed?....thanks anyone who is willing to lend a tip or two....
-cassie
Old 04-12-03, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, but the process and equipment varies. Can you be more specific?

Such as:

What type of camcorder
What you're trying to do? (editing or straight conversion etc.)
Do you have a computer? Specs?
Do you have a DVD recorder? PC or standalone?
Old 04-12-03, 04:39 PM

don't have the camcorder yet....do have a computer, but now dvd recorder and i would be using it for straight conversion to send them to my husband in the gulf....thanks for your help
Old 04-12-03, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The easiest way would probably be with a DVD camcorder.

Check out this link: Panasonic DVD Camcorder

I don't know too much about them or what brands are the best, but Panasonic makes very good DVD players.

One thing that might hold you back is finding the 8-cm DVDs on which to record. I would probably check it out since all you have to do is record to the disk and then mail it. You could also back it up on your PC. Make sure to check compatability of the media with the camcorder and the playback device.

What is he using to play the DVD? (Standalone DVD player or computer?)

Another option would be to get a camcorder with a firewire interface (IEEE 1394) to transfer your video to your PC, and get a firewire card (that usually comes with video editing software) and install it in your PC, and get a DVD burner (that usually comes with DVD authoring software) and install it in your PC. This is a lot more complicated but a more versatile setup. There are a lot of books and magazines on videography, setting up a computer to edit video, and authoring DVDs.

You have a lot of choices depending on your requirements and your technical ability.
Old 04-14-03, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You want a camcorder with a IEEE-1394 interface.
You don't have to make DVD to send to your husband. YOu can make VCD's if you want.. Is your husband using a computer to play them on? YOu could even make MPEG movies and email them to him...

YOu need to buy a video editing software..

I highly recommend Sonic Foundry Video Factory.