Community
Search

Silence of the Lambs CC

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-03, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silence of the Lambs CC

I just recieved a SOTL CC off of eBay, and I have a few questions. Everythings looks legit, but I read that the original has no booklet. My insert is a fold-out with a movie review on the inside and a list of the cast on the other. Thanks in advance for any info and such.

BTW, I tried searching for this, but if I missed it could someone link me then lock the thread? THanks...

Ben
Old 04-11-03, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The CC "Silence of the Lambs" does have an insert. The front cover of it has half of Jody Foster's face on the left, the chapter list on the right. There's an essay by Amy Taubin of The Village Voice inside, then cast and crew credits and information about the transfer on the back.

Here's a quick scan of the insert (sorry about the quality, I'm late for meeting a friend for dinner!):

Last edited by Mr. Salty; 04-11-03 at 06:12 PM.
Old 04-11-03, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts
Re: Silence of the Lambs CC

Originally posted by reubs82
Everythings looks legit, but I read that the original has no booklet.
I'm not sure where you read this but every legit (maybe a few illegit) Criterion has an insert.
Old 04-11-03, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
*All* Criterions have booklets. All of 'em.
Old 04-11-03, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Re: Silence of the Lambs CC

Originally posted by TomOpus
I'm not sure where you read this but every legit (maybe a few illegit) Criterion has an insert.
I thought they only started putting books in them the last few years. I was just going by Waskydiver's (I think that's his handle) guide on his eBay page. THanks for all the info. SOunds like I didn't get had.

Ben
Old 04-11-03, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Re: Re: Silence of the Lambs CC

Originally posted by reubs82
I thought they only started putting books in them the last few years. I was just going by Waskydiver's (I think that's his handle) guide on his eBay page. THanks for all the info. SOunds like I didn't get had.

Ben
I've used waskydiver's link to check on boot info several times. It has a lot of good info that one needs when dealing with eBayville. Congrats on your purchase, though. I have both the MGM and Criterion releases but I tend to watch the Criterion more.
Old 04-11-03, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Like Tom, I've got them both. If you truly love the movie, it's probably a good idea to get both, because each has unique and excellent features and the tech specs are very similar, also.

Some great movies don't even have a single decent version. We're lucky: this one has two.
Old 04-11-03, 11:10 PM

Does anyone have a rough scan of the disc itself? I bought mine second hand with the correct cover but I've heard conflicting news about the dvd disc art. Mine has a close-up view of grainy digitized eyes.. black and white... Everything looks legit, just want to make sure it wasn't switched out.
Old 04-11-03, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Corky
Does anyone have a rough scan of the disc itself? I bought mine second hand with the correct cover but I've heard conflicting news about the dvd disc art. Mine has a close-up view of grainy digitized eyes.. black and white... Everything looks legit, just want to make sure it wasn't switched out.
That's what mine has and it's definitely a CC. It's not really grainy though, but a blow-up of the dot pattern used in newsprint.
Old 04-12-03, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I found a SOTL CC at a used DVD store in Ft Worth for $35. I had been holding out buying this on eBay. I'm glad I waited.
Old 04-12-03, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I got lucky and got mine for less than $30 b/c the guy had low feedback (it was all positive, but it was low). It took almost two wks to ship and then only a few days to get here, but it was a traumatic wait. Everything looks good, though, except for the missing booklet. Not a big deal, though, b/c I'm not gonna be reselling it.

Ben
Old 04-12-03, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's a scan of the disc itself:

Old 04-12-03, 01:28 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
I found this from an online bookstore that also sold some DVDs last year. $21.99, brand new. I bought two, actually, and sold one to another DVDTalker for cost.

They had 8 in inventory at the time. I wish I'd picked up a few extras to sell on Ebay. I can't believe how much this is going for, since there's an SE out there now that you can pick up for $15 that has a better transfer.

I guess it's just spine number obsessive disorder (SNOD).

-- Jough
Old 04-12-03, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For me it is enjoying the movie and wanting this particular edition in my collection. If it was spine #, there's no way I'd want lucky 13 about a serial killer just for grins.
Old 04-12-03, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I bought my Silence of the Lambs: CC at Sam Goody's , when it first came out. It did NOT have a "Criterion listing" booklet, but it did have an insert.
Old 04-12-03, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
Got mine on half.com before the SE came out. My first purchase on that site or on ebay so I lucked out with a sealed legit version for about $30. I have yet to rent the SE so I don't know what I'm missing.
Old 04-12-03, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by jough
I can't believe how much this is going for, since there's an SE out there now that you can pick up for $15 that has a better transfer.

I guess it's just spine number obsessive disorder (SNOD).

-- Jough
I can't speak for others but I wanted it for:

1) The Demme/Hopkins/Foster/Tally (along with FBI agent Douglas) commentary. This is golden.

2) Voices of Death. From the mouths of convicted serial killers, and it's enough to keep you from leaving the house.

Plus it has a spine number j/k
Old 04-12-03, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

True the MGM disc has a better transfer, but the Criterion has one of the best commentary tracks I've ever heard. I am so glad I picked this up when I did before it went OOP.
Old 04-12-03, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Originally posted by joefrog91
I found a SOTL CC at a used DVD store in Ft Worth for $35. I had been holding out buying this on eBay. I'm glad I waited.
I'll see your $35 and lower you with $13. I also picked up the MGM Lambs for $10, Hannibal for $8 and the Manhunter LE for $8.

I'll be waiting a few weeks to get RD used, I'll probably have to pay a bit more since it sold for so much new.
Old 04-13-03, 09:42 PM

Manhunter LE for $8? You lucky boy!!

I was pretty lucky with my SoTL CC. Think I paid about $20 AUD (Around USD$12) for a mint condition copy, with booklet etc.

Am yet to watch the Serial Killer doco or Commentary, but have heard they rock (as confirmed by you fellows who posted above).
Old 04-14-03, 01:27 AM

Originally posted by Mr. Salty
Here's a scan of the disc itself:
Appreciate it!
Old 04-14-03, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Criterion version non-anamorphic
MGM version anamorphic

I sold the Criterion version & replaced it with the MGM version. Call me crazy, but I just want good video & sound.
Old 04-14-03, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Movie_Man
Criterion version non-anamorphic
MGM version anamorphic

I sold the Criterion version & replaced it with the MGM version. Call me crazy, but I just want good video & sound.
You're crazy!

Old 04-14-03, 02:40 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
I have both, because the extras on the Criterion collection are more compelling to me (GREAT commentary) but the transfer is certainly sub-par. It looks like VHS.

The MGM transfer actually isn't so great either, but it's head-and-shoulders above the Criterion (which makes sense since it's 3 years newer).
Old 04-15-03, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by jough
I have both, because the extras on the Criterion collection are more compelling to me (GREAT commentary) but the transfer is certainly sub-par. It looks like VHS.
True. Even though I haven't seen the MGM transfer, the Criterion transfer is sub par for me. Even the Image release has better transfer than Criterion imo.

The MGM transfer actually isn't so great either, but it's head-and-shoulders above the Criterion (which makes sense since it's 3 years newer).
I heard, although MGM has better picture, Criterion has better sound transfer. Is that true?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.