Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Who is boycotting CATCH ME IF YOU CAN and other movies starring anti-war celebs?

Community
Search

Who is boycotting CATCH ME IF YOU CAN and other movies starring anti-war celebs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-03, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems like there is a campaign that calls us movie fans to boycott movies featuring anti-war celebrities, like not see the film, or buy DVD of films they are in, or trash the DVD of their film!. A campaign already started on boycotting french and German owned bujsinesses and now this. They want us to not rent or buy titles like CATCH ME IF YOU CAN (Martin Sheen), CONFESSIONS OF DANGEROUS MIND / SOLARIS/OCEANS 11 (George Clooney) BANGER SISTERS (Susan Sarandon), WEST WING (Sheen) BULL DURHAM (Tim Robbins/Sarandon), DEAD MAN WALKING 9Sarandon/Penn), STAR WARS,/XXX/CHANGING LANES (Sam Jackson) BIKER BOYZ (Laurence Fishburne) even MATRIX REVISITED (because of Fishburne)!

I wount say what I personally think of this (it seems best to keep your mouth shut in times like this) but out of curiosity, is anyone refusing to buy these actors film on DVD at this moment? Is this why MATRIX SE DVD was cancelled because of Fishburne?

Last edited by prince_of_saturn; 04-11-03 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-11-03, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hell (I mean) F**k no!! I don't care what they said or if they said anything at all, I don't want to not own a movie because some idiot celebirty said "I am anti war"
Old 04-11-03, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Martin Sheen isn't in that movie enough for me to give a rat's behind. Besides, the money he'll make off of the royalties will be just enough to bail him out next time he gets arrested boycotting the School of the Americas. So, in short, I'm only paying for him to get outta jail just so he can go back in. As for the rest of the cast, I'm not sure what their thoughts are.

I'm gonna buy "Catch me if you Can" anyway. The rest of them (besides the Matrix) I'm not interested in anyway. BTW, if Fishburne is so anti-war, why is he in a film that glorifies extreme gun violence? Just a thought...
Old 04-11-03, 05:37 PM

That is the most rediculous thing i've ever heard.
Old 04-11-03, 05:38 PM

Boycotting a movie because an actor dosen't agree with the war, that is.
Old 04-11-03, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are plenty of right-wing celebrities I don't agree with, but I celebrate their right to speak their minds and I appreciate being able to hear what they have to say, because I might learn something or gain insight into an issue I may otherwise not have thought of.

I would never even think of persecuting them because they have an opinion that differs from mine. It's a pity the right doesn't seem to want to afford the left the same respect, because being able to speak your mind without fear of reprisal is one of the things that makes this country great.

Last edited by Mr. Salty; 04-11-03 at 05:47 PM.
Old 04-11-03, 05:42 PM

if anything i would want to buy it MORE if it starred an anti-war celebrity
Old 04-11-03, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
If I boycotted a movie because I disagreed with their right to have an opinion (regardless of their political affliations).... I wouldn't be watching any movies.
Old 04-11-03, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hmmm... better go return my Planet of the Apes since I don't agree at ALL with Chuck Heston...

Stupid. I don't buy movies because I disagree with a minor thing (which basically the whole anti-war thing was about for most people... some thought Iraq could be freed without war, some thought he couldn't. Some thought he had WMD, some thought he didn't. That's all!)

If it was supporting some neo-nazi, then fine, I'd back off buying a movie... but people make this war thing a lot larger then it really is.

It's like not buying Terminator because Arnold is a republican and I'm not. Stupid....

BTW, if Fishburne is so anti-war, why is he in a film that glorifies extreme gun violence? Just a thought...
Well, it is fictional gun violence. I don't know... I was against this war with Iraq, but I love violent gun movies :P I just didn't fully trust the reasons behind going it.
Old 04-11-03, 06:04 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Mr. Salty
It's a pity the right doesn't seem to want to afford the left the same respect, because being able to speak your mind without fear of reprisal is one of the things that makes this country great.
Like I said in another thread, that just because you live in a democracy where all views are respected and allowed, doesn't mean that all views shall be consequence free.

Just as these anti-war protestors have the right to voice their, IMO, very naive views, others have a right to voice their opinion by not buying their products.

As the old addage says, "If you don't like what's on a particular station, change the channel."

If I don't like what Martin Sheen has to say, I have the abosolute right to boycott his films. That's my right to free speech as well.

The ironic thing is that that out of all these anti-war celebrities, those DVDs of theirs that I do have are in fact war movies! So go figure.

The one that baffles me the most is George Cloony. After recently making (1999) the Desert Storm movie, "Three Kings" he is anti-Operation Iraqi Freedom, something he supposedly supported in his movie.
Old 04-11-03, 06:06 PM

I'm boycotting Catch Me If You Can on dvd because it was a bad movie.
Old 04-11-03, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If I avoided every work of art that involved an artist I didn't agree with politically... well, let's just say that I wouldn't be exposed to much art.

What the hell do I care if Martin Sheen (or anybody for that matter) is opposed to the war? Does that make him evil? Or does that just mean that he's a thinking individual with an opinion (that may differ from my opinion)?

Frankly, the desire of some groups to shut out debate and differing opinions bothers me a hell of a lot more than someone opposing a war.
Old 04-11-03, 06:16 PM

Originally posted by bboisvert
[Frankly, the desire of some groups to shut out debate and differing opinions bothers me a hell of a lot more than someone opposing a war. [/B]
Couldn't agree more.
Old 04-11-03, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This is such a joke. Just because some actors are anti-war, people want us to stop watching their films. C'mon!!! I don't see people boycotting John Wayne or Steve McQueen films because they were racist.
Old 04-11-03, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Better go burn all my Wagner recordings. Oh, and anything with Vanessa Redgrave. And Heston. And Clooney. And daVinci, cuz you know, he was one of "those".

Anyone else not goose-stepping in line?
Old 04-11-03, 06:31 PM
Banned

On the other hand...
http://www.drudgereport.com/hen.htm

RADIO HOST HENDRIE: MY PRO-WAR VIEWS COULD COST ME TV GIG

Los Angeles-based talkradio sensation Phil Hendrie Thursday night charged that his passionate pro-war views may cost him a TV sitcom that has been in development at NBC.

Hendrie announced on his nationally-syndicated show that his war stand could result in a liberal Hollywood backlash against him and his current TV pitch.

"We did the pilot last week," Hendrie revealed. "Listen, everyone at NBC was great. From top to bottom. It has been a dream. But I am on the air everyday. I feel vulnerable expressing my pro-war point of view... Someone could ring up someone and say, 'Well, we're not going to do business with you.'"

"I am thinking outloud. Listen. Nobody at NBC has never said to me, don't express your political opinions. But if Janeane Garofalo is saying she is paying the price and not getting work [at ABC] for her anti-war views, it is just as valid for me to say what I am saying. And the anti-war point of view is much more popular in the entertainment industry."
So it seems to swing both ways.

Sounds to me like the Entertainment Industry is biased both ways.

Oh, and another thing...ask the Dixie Chicks how their record sales have been lately....

IMO, if you don't have an opinion on "artist" behavor, then what does that say about your principles?

Would it bother you all if I smashed up all my old Michael Jackson tapes for his latest freakazoid behavior?
Old 04-11-03, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Utterly pathetic. Welcome to the new McCarthyism. We never learn... "Land of the free," long as I agree with what you say.
Old 04-11-03, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Imhotep
Would it bother you all if I smashed up all my old Michael Jackson tapes for his latest freakazoid behavior?
I trust there will be some extensive crotch-grabbing and chest rubbing going on, before you finish it off by morphing back into a panther, no?

K
Old 04-11-03, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Go ahead! You paid for them, that's your right!

As for me, I agree with those who say that it doesn't really matter when it comes to watching movies. The actor's political/theological beliefs are of no importance to me. I feel I would be a close minded individual to shut out movies because I disagreed with some ideas held by an actor in the movie, ideas that have no bearing on my enjoyment of the movie whatsoever.
Old 04-11-03, 06:57 PM

I'll definitely buy Catch Me if You can. I could care less what these people say.

As an aside, I think it is funny that people are tripping all over themselves trying to get rid of their Dixie Chicks CDs, or boycott movies like this, but R Kelly pisses all over a 13 year old and records them having sex and his album is a bestseller while people make light of it and joke around about it.
Old 04-11-03, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Worst idea ever. A person's body of work is different than the person's beliefs.
Old 04-11-03, 07:00 PM

Originally posted by WWE Jedi
I don't see people boycotting John Wayne or Steve McQueen films because they were racist.
Huh? Steve McQueen wasn't a racist. Where did you come up with that? He's been accused of being a sexist and a homophobe, but never a racist.

John Wayne on the other hand...
Old 04-11-03, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As an aside, I think it is funny that people are tripping all over themselves trying to get rid of their Dixie Chicks CDs, or boycott movies like this, but R Kelly pisses all over a 13 year old and records them having sex and his album is a bestseller while people make light of it and joke around about it.
Interesting. I had never thought about that. What did the Dixie Chicks say anyways? the way people are attacking them and calling them traitors.. they must really have said something out there.
Old 04-11-03, 07:26 PM

The one that baffles me the most is George Cloony. After recently making (1999) the Desert Storm movie, "Three Kings" he is anti-Operation Iraqi Freedom, something he supposedly supported in his movie.
Have you seen Three Kings? It's not pro-war at all.
Old 04-11-03, 07:28 PM

Originally posted by BizRodian
Interesting. I had never thought about that. What did the Dixie Chicks say anyways? the way people are attacking them and calling them traitors.. they must really have said something out there.
The lead singer said she was ashamed that the President was from the same state she was- which is something I'm sure no one from Arkansas said in the 90's...

Count me as someone who doesn't get the whole "this person disagrees with me, so we should boycott them" mentality. I've been a long time fan of actors like Arnold and Charleston Heston, or musicians like Moby or Ani Difranco, and many more who I like their product but don't agree with everything they personally believe in. It's no big deal, I can think for myself.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.