Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Questions about RCA F38310 38inch Widescreen DigitalTelvision

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-03, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought one of these yesterday at best buy, I have read some of the problems about them on the net, but at $900.00 I couldn't pass it up and I got the 4 year service agreement to cover my ass in case.
I am curious, this is probly a really dumb question, but in the back of the set there is a card slot with a direct tv card in it, what the hell is that for? how do I use that. I bought it open box so all I know about it is what I read on the internet, and what I have learned from playing with it. I did a search on here and found a few threadsm but it never really addressed this, so I was hoping you guys could help me out.
Old 04-11-03, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
$900 and I would have walked out the door with it too. I saw an open box model at CC on Monday for $1189, but that was just a little too much.

The set has built-in direcTV and HD tuners. The card slot is for DirecTV.

Which pittsburgh Best Buy did you find this at?
Old 04-11-03, 11:28 AM

the one at century 3, it was marked $1299, but when I started asking about it the litttle old guy said it was the last one and the price would actually be $914.99. I couldn't pass it up.

Nick
Old 04-11-03, 09:35 PM
Rest in Peace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Add $2,099 to what you paid for yours total $2999 Plus read page 79 in owners manual.

I bought mine in May of 2001, no problems
if you want to find out how many hours are on the odometer. Enter Service Menu follow my instructions, no damage will be done it's just a rightous hack.

Go to top of HDTV you will find black buttons with white text on them. All at once push your info, menu-ok, and the right part of the diamond lying on its side called volume and hit the plus(+) on right side all at once. Once you do it a few times it will be a walk in the park.

Info is on your left, Menu-Ok is on your right, the volume diamond is at the center >x, marks the spot for Volume +.

All 3 must be pushed in at the same time. If you have done it correctly you will see a darker text towards the middle with what ever colored button you chose I have them as Blue.

1. Test all your components they if okay will come on the right as capital OK, as watch the internal checks will continue automatically till screen is fully displayed.

Use Odometer push in to see the amount of hours of operation your HDTV has on it. I just did mine and I seen 17,218. I as a disabled person will use 3 times the amount of hours you will use. The hours start accumulating at the factory for testing, then if you buy a demonstration model like I did it will fill the counter even more.

I bought it at (Parkway TV and Aplliances...Philipsburg, NJ) from a friend of mine whom I have known for about 20 years. Wayne also did a ISF calibration on the HDTV for all customers to see, a outstanding picture playing for 1 week before I bought it. Wayne since he didn't charge me any sales tax, I bought it from 7 miles away 3 miles in New Jersey and 4 miles into PA. I used that money to buy a 5 year warranty of which 3 years is left.

"Your original question can be found on page 79 of your owners manual. Periodically, your program provider may issue you a replacement access if you subscribe to DIRECTVŠ programming. The New Access Card Setup screen allows you to transfer the information from the old card onto the new one. The acess card fits into the TV through the back panel.

To replace the card:

1.Select Assistance from the main menu.

2. Select New Access Card

3. Follow the on-screen directions to validate the new card."

Poster I didn't touch my product until I read through the manual 3 times!

Last edited by danol; 04-11-03 at 09:44 PM.
Old 04-11-03, 11:47 PM

I didn't get a manual with mine, that was part of the problem...
Old 04-12-03, 08:28 PM
Rest in Peace

Your best bet would to go back to where you bought it and ask if they have one from a trashed F38310. There is a lot to know in your manual, if not see if RCA
will give or sell yu one I haven't se any places that you woiuld don load the thing it has about 90 pages plus room for your personal notes.

Did you even try to find out your hours in the testing Service Menu? I have educated a lot of members in different formums how to do it and after a while you can do it withyour eyes closed. IMO you need te manual it has a lot of things to understand, like black level is a new term for brightness.

You have 3 temperatures measured in Kelvins for color temperature. Blue is cool an hot is has more reddish colors. You have other lighting to chose, I have mine on personal choice. If your going to use your built in DirectTV receiver your going to need you owners manual in this case it's a must have. IMHO
Old 04-13-03, 02:05 AM

thank you, I appreciate all the feedback, i haven't gotten around to performing the test on my TV, I worked 2 13 hour days in a row and have to do it again tomarrow, so I just don't feel like doing it now, but I will probably do it on Monday. I will also check around for the manual at a few store and look around on the net as well...
Old 04-15-03, 04:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ive kinda had my mind on one of these sets for a while now. One question I got is, with the built in Direct tv and HDTV decoders, Can I get Direct tv HDTV (discovery, HDNet, HBO, Sho,ect) with this set and a eliptical dish?
Old 04-15-03, 07:23 AM

Hi, you can download manuals from RCA's website. Try this link:

http://www.rca.com/customerservice/k...CC7430,00.html

If that's not the right one there are others. Good luck!
Old 04-17-03, 01:45 AM

Re: Add $2,099 to what you paid for yours total $2999 Plus read page 79 in owners manual.

Originally posted by danol
I bought mine in May of 2001, no problems
if you want to find out how many hours are on the odometer. Enter Service Menu follow my instructions, no damage will be done it's just a rightous hack.

Go to top of HDTV you will find black buttons with white text on them. All at once push your info, menu-ok, and the right part of the diamond lying on its side called volume and hit the plus(+) on right side all at once. Once you do it a few times it will be a walk in the park.

Info is on your left, Menu-Ok is on your right, the volume diamond is at the center >x, marks the spot for Volume +.

All 3 must be pushed in at the same time. If you have done it correctly you will see a darker text towards the middle with what ever colored button you chose I have them as Blue.

1. Test all your components they if okay will come on the right as capital OK, as watch the internal checks will continue automatically till screen is fully displayed.

Use Odometer push in to see the amount of hours of operation your HDTV has on it. I just did mine and I seen 17,218. I as a disabled person will use 3 times the amount of hours you will use. The hours start accumulating at the factory for testing, then if you buy a demonstration model like I did it will fill the counter even more.

I bought it at (Parkway TV and Aplliances...Philipsburg, NJ) from a friend of mine whom I have known for about 20 years. Wayne also did a ISF calibration on the HDTV for all customers to see, a outstanding picture playing for 1 week before I bought it. Wayne since he didn't charge me any sales tax, I bought it from 7 miles away 3 miles in New Jersey and 4 miles into PA. I used that money to buy a 5 year warranty of which 3 years is left.

"Your original question can be found on page 79 of your owners manual. Periodically, your program provider may issue you a replacement access if you subscribe to DIRECTVŠ programming. The New Access Card Setup screen allows you to transfer the information from the old card onto the new one. The acess card fits into the TV through the back panel.

To replace the card:

1.Select Assistance from the main menu.

2. Select New Access Card

3. Follow the on-screen directions to validate the new card."

Poster I didn't touch my product until I read through the manual 3 times!
Everything from eeprom down came up ok, above that ti never said not ok, it just threw out a bunch of other letteres.

My odometer is 13826, that's actually a lot isn't it?