Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

SD6109C turning off by itself :(

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-03, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all...

I have a Toshiba 6109C (integrated receiver and DVD player). Works fine, but won't play burned discs, so I use just as a receiver and hooked up a Pioneer DV-444 DVD player to it (that thing will read anything you drop in there).

Everything had been working fine until about 2 weeks ago. Now the Toshiba will turn itself off at random times while watching a DVD through the Pioneer DV-444. I can play the radio all day long on it, but DVDs through the Pioneer-DV444 seem to make it shut off.

Do you think it is just too much sound coming from the Pioneer for the Toshiba to handle (although it hasn't had any problems for the past year), or is it just time to kick the Toshiba into the back room and get a new amp? (I have me eye on the Onkyo TXSR500).

Any help would be great! Thanks! :-)
Old 04-10-03, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i have the same unit and i had a smillar problem when i first bought it. There was some kind of a deffect in the earlier models. I think it had a deffective circuit somewhere (cant remeber now). At the time i got it fixed under warantee. You might want to take it to a shop and see. Also try playing dvds through the dvd player in the toshiba. If it still shuts off.. its time for a new amp (also it might be overheating, see is its really hot when it shuts off)

If it just happens with your pioneer.. try to replace the AV wires
Old 04-10-03, 02:57 PM

Oraphus - excellent. Thanks for your help. I'll give this a try.

I went and bought the TX-SR500 anyways and now use that for my main receiver. The 6109C will go back in the other room (so my girlfriend can watch her chick flicks any time she wants) :-)