Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Splinter Cell: which to buy PS2 or Gamecube version?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-03, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok don't own the big X paperweight as someone refered to the Xbox and going to pick up SC this week and dunno which version to get PS2 or the GC. Which version seems superior to the other everthing is the same as far as the game?
Don't say GC just because of the wavebird, not gonna base the decision only on that fi so i wouldn't be asking you guys to chime in.
Old 04-08-03, 04:52 PM

I already own it on Xbox or I'd probably buy it on GC. When you connect the GBA to the GC you can see the OPSAT map on the GBA screen. You also get access to a new weapon, the sticky bomb. You shoot it with your gun and detonate it using the GBA. Very cool!
Old 04-08-03, 07:45 PM

I am in the same situation, and everything that I have read seems to point to both versions being almost identical. I think I am going to pick up the GC version just for the GBA connectivity. I may also pick up the GBA version when that comes out because you can unlock 5 new levels in the GBA version if you have both.
Old 04-08-03, 07:54 PM
Mod Emeritus

Ok don't own the big X paperweight as someone refered to the Xbox

Brewc, console bashing isn't tolerated here, but I'm sure you know that since you aren't the one who originally called it that.

As for your question: no brainer, GCN.
Old 04-08-03, 08:02 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, GCN. GBA connectivity, and the reviews have given me the impression that the GC version looks better than the PS2 version as well. Plus the wavebird.

I'm sure the load times are likely faster on the GC as well.
Old 04-08-03, 08:07 PM
Mod Emeritus

Plus the videos aren't even a big deal on this, the CGI between levels isn't necessary for the game at all.
Old 04-08-03, 08:51 PM

Well, I don't own a gameboy so that doesn't matter at all to me and guess that settles it for me, i'd rather have the extra level that's only on the PS2.
Old 04-08-03, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey don't forget if you use a wavebird you lose the vibration effect which is important for lock picking.

Jeremy
Old 04-08-03, 09:10 PM
Mod Emeritus

Don't graphics matter for you?
Old 04-08-03, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If I were to actually buy one of the two, I would get it for the PS2 for the extra level.

Don't graphics matter for you?
Got the PS2 demo disc today, played the demo a few times. Obviously the Xbox version looks much better, but it still looks very good on the PS2. Of course, it's done in software mode, you can tell.
Old 04-08-03, 10:50 PM

I thought that the extra level was on both the ps2 and the gcn version?
Old 04-08-03, 10:51 PM

I'll make my decision tomorrow, the local mom and pop LAN gaming store said when they arrive there going to demo one copy for both consoles, give people 10 min a pop on each.
So maybe there's no one in there on my lunch break an I can play both without waiting and then make a decision.
Old 04-09-03, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The extra mission is a PS2 exclusive. It'll be interesting to see how well it sells.
Old 04-09-03, 02:16 AM

I think extra missions are better than a new weapon.
Old 04-09-03, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I say GC. Nothing beats playing with a WaveBird controller!
Old 04-09-03, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Most likely Gamecube.

Better graphics, wavebird, GBA conection. I know you asked not for wavebird to be an answer but it is a reason for me, i can relax in my sofa while playing this game. Having an extra level for the PS2 version is pretty good too for that version, i'm not sure why they didn't include it for the Gamecube. But aside from that, from the reviews it sounds ilke the Gamecube version edges out the PS2 version in terms of graphics.

plus, this looks pretty damn cool
Old 04-09-03, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

CUBE

does anyone have the details on the extent of the connection between the GBA and the CUBE for this game?

Last edited by huh?; 04-09-03 at 12:05 PM.
Old 04-09-03, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
IGN says that the Gamecube version has been dumbed down; Fewer enemies, more health packs, greater alarm tolerance.

They also say that there is no blood (if that is your thing. I personally don't care).
Old 04-09-03, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by juiio
IGN says that the Gamecube version has been dumbed down; Fewer enemies, more health packs, greater alarm tolerance.

They also say that there is no blood (if that is your thing. I personally don't care).
They were also saying the PS2 version was dumbed down too.
Old 04-09-03, 04:59 PM

Well I'm picking up the PS2 version after comparing both side by side on 27" Sony's, the diffences in the graphics weren't that big of disparity to me both were a notch or two below the Xbox but I like these looks better not so washed out.
Does take maybe 5-10 seconds longer to load on the PS2, but to get an extra level pretty much sold it for me and the simpler controls for both versions over th xbox works to.
I don't even own a gameboy so that didn't factor into it at all and I still don't think it would. If the extra level was on both versions the wavebird would sway it a little in GC favor, but there isn't one since I think Sony wanted something exclusive because GC get the gameboy connectivity.
Old 04-09-03, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally posted by Ghym
They were also saying the PS2 version was dumbed down too.
I believe they said it was dumbed down from PS2->Gamecube in addition to the changes from XBox->PS2. I could have misread it though.
Old 04-10-03, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I am positive both the PS2 and Gamecube versions have the same changes (dumbed down as it was mentioned) and no blood. I read a lot of reviews on multiple sites because I was deciding on which to get and they all mention the same changes for each version. In addition to that they have added story parts of some kind.

I believe some of the changes were due to technical issues like hardware, while others like making certain parts easier (such as the alarm changes) were added due to complaints from the pc and xbox versions being too difficult in some respects...the development team talked about it in an interview I read about the ports. But I think another reason they changed some things is so fans of Splinter Cell would also check out these versions as well.

Eitherway, apparently the 8th was the shipping date because I can't find it. Has anyone gotten it yet?
Old 04-10-03, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw it in at Target today, but not Best Buy, Circuit City, or Wal-Mart.
Old 04-10-03, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Gamecube. Hooking it up with your GBA is pretty cool.

BUT if you own an X-Box, go with the box.