Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Commentaries and great extras...On newer or older films?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-03, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Myself, I prefer extras on older films - films that have grown on me over time. I wonder what it was like to have made those films and everything else behind the scenes along with the advertising used to sell the picture. I like this on catalog titles, but I COULD CARE LESS for these features on newer films like HOW TO LOSE A GUY, ROLLERBALL, JACKASS (of course, there are exceptions: LORD OF THE RINGS, MATRIX, ect) and many other latest releases.
Meanwhile, some possible choice extras on catalog titles get completely dissed: PRETTY IN PINK, SOME KIND OF WONDERFUL, POLTERGEIST...the list goes on and on.
Obviously, the choice by the studios is money on the new product - in that respect, I feel as a consumer I'm really missing out on some quality product. But by simply releasing bare-bones past films with at least SOME popular following, the studios are missing out on higher sales.
Anyone else?
Old 04-08-03, 07:00 PM

There are some newer films that, I think, have great extras: Magnolia, Star Wars TPM, Moulin Rouge, Bring It On, Pixar movies and I enjoy the few Sundance Anatomy of a Scene segments I have seen.

I do agree that some of the catalogue titles are severely lacking. While not every film can have the special edition treatment given to Lawrence of Arabia, American Graffiti or Rear Window extras would be appreciated.

It would be nice if studios included at the very least the trailer and a commentary. These are not very expensive to do and I certainly appreciate them.

There are movies in my collection I bought because I don't think the studios will come back and redo, but if they did I would buy them again in a second.
Old 04-08-03, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like this on catalog titles, but I COULD CARE LESS for these features on newer films like HOW TO LOSE A GUY, ROLLERBALL, JACKASS (of course, there are exceptions: LORD OF THE RINGS, MATRIX, ect) and many other latest releases.
Here's what I see in your post: you're wishing the studios would put extras on discs (rather than leave them bare-bones), but then you're saying you don't want them on certain titles (which are presumably titles you aren't interested in anyway). The age of the film doesn't seem to matter. Besides, perhaps in ten years you WILL wish there was a commentary for JACKASS. (I can't wait to listen to the commentary on GLITTER, myself!)

Personally, I think all DVDs should have as many extras as possible and be in the OAR. I mean, my movie turd is someone else's movie gold - why should I begrudge their enjoyment?

The phrase, by the way, is "couldN'T care less". If you "could care less," it means you do care a certain amount...
Old 04-08-03, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Or are you trying to say that studios should pay as much attention to catalog titles as new releases? If that's the case, I of course agree with you. But naturally in many cases for old films it's a lot harder to come by supplementary materials.
Old 04-09-03, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by shill66
.... But naturally in many cases for old films it's a lot harder to come by supplementary materials.
Check out the new Universal release of Fahrenheit 451, a film I have watched and enjoyed many times. The great extras that have been included for this 37-year old film are fantastic, filled with information and insights that amazed me. Even though the specs say "commentary with Julie Christie", the commentary also features the producer, film editor, and several others including Ray Bradbury. There's a 45 minute "making of" feature, as well as a piece with Ray Bradbury and another about the Bernard Herrmann score.
All this for a MSRP of $14.95, which means you can get it for under $10 at places like deepdiscountdvd.com - if a studio is willing to put in the time and money, they can deliver a GREAT dvd for an older movie and still have a friendly price on it - thank you, Universal!