Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Official Midnight Club 2 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-03, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Official Midnight Club 2 Thread

Anyone see reviews for this yet? I have only seen this one so far and it looks like the developer knocked it out of the park. Post some other reviews if you've seen 'em. I'm picking up the PS2 version tomorrow. Let the games (or races) begin....
Old 04-08-03, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts
This one's online, right? I wasn't going to pick it up, but with the disappointment that is Auto Modellista, and the (hopefully) impending TRU sale, I'm thinking hard about it.
Old 04-08-03, 06:41 PM

I'm definately picking this one up tomorrow morning. I'll be tempted to play online but I think I'll unlock some cars before I do that.
Old 04-08-03, 07:43 PM

I'll be picking this up as soon as CompUSA gets it in stock...anyone know how they are with release dates?
Old 04-08-03, 09:36 PM

anyone have an official release date on the x-box version? if it really isn't coming out til june, i may just get the ps2 version.
Old 04-08-03, 10:27 PM

I'd like to know if this game runs at a solid 60fps... the game sure looks fantastic, but if it's locked to 30fps then I'll pass. Anything less than 60fps these days (especially for a racing game) is unacceptable.
Old 04-09-03, 01:09 AM

Originally posted by fujishig
This one's online, right?
Yeah I know it's online for PS2(Broadband only) and XBOX Live

Originally posted by warcp
anyone have an official release date on the x-box version?
This isnt official, but per EBgames.com: the XBOX release date is stated for 06/03/2003 http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categorie...p?pf_id=232906
Old 04-09-03, 01:26 AM

Originally posted by Dean Walsh
I'd like to know if this game runs at a solid 60fps... the game sure looks fantastic, but if it's locked to 30fps then I'll pass. Anything less than 60fps these days (especially for a racing game) is unacceptable.
Offline i'm assuming it would stay a steady 60fps, but when you're dealing with multiplayer online it's another story. To pass up a great game because it get's 30fps sounds foolish to me, but to each his own I guess.
Old 04-09-03, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Dean Walsh
So, a game like Halo is unacceptable?
Old 04-09-03, 08:54 AM

I'm picking it up in a couple of hours. I would have preferred the xbox version because of the ability to use custom soundtracks, but I'm impatient and can't wait for it to drop in June.
Old 04-09-03, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by mrglass
I'm picking it up in a couple of hours. I would have preferred the xbox version because of the ability to use custom soundtracks, but I'm impatient and can't wait for it to drop in June.
Yeah, I bet that's what Sony wants you think.

Jeremy
Old 04-09-03, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just picked mine up from Gamestop. Gonna be hooking up for some PS2 online racing this evening! Will feedback tomorrow with my impressions. Most of the reviews have been great for the PS2 version. Haven't seen any XBOX reviews yet. This should tide me over until Gran Turismo this winter.
Old 04-09-03, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
The reviews all say that it's a steady 30fps.

I'm waiting for the X-Box version - my guess is that it'll have more framespersecond and I like the X-Box cotroller better for racing games - analog triggers are the way to go for acceleration and breaks.
Old 04-09-03, 05:03 PM

Waiting for X-Box version also..........
Old 04-10-03, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does this game support the Logitech Wheel for PS2? If it does, I'll be getting the PS2 version. There is no better controller for driving games than the Logitech Wheel. Otherwise I'll get the Xbox version. Of course, ideally there would be a Logitech Wheel for Xbox, and I could get the Xbox version, but... oh well.
Old 04-10-03, 09:57 AM

I don't have the manual with me, but I thought I saw a page with a control scheme for the Logitech wheel as I glanced through it last night.

After playing for about 2 hours last night, the only complaint that I have is the music. The selection of tracks chosen for the game just flat out sucks.

Everything else is great...I suck at racing games, but I'm having a lot of fun. The races so far have been somewhat challenging, but not anything that would make me want to tear my hair out. The race right before you get the bike was kind of annoying, but once I learned to turn properly, it wasn't that bad.
Old 04-10-03, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Played last night (PS2) and here is my one phrase review: Most fun racing game ever!!

Seriously though the actual game is a blast to play with solid graphics, a great framerate (dunno if it's 30 or 60 but I could care less because it doesn't stutter), great sound, and really fun city layout (critical in street racing games).

Here's my IGN-style run-down:

Presentation: 8.5 Slick interface sometimes makes things a little tough to find. A TON of options to tweak the game to your liking. The race editor is an awesome feature that should have been done before. Getting online is a piece of cake but it's a shame they dont keep track of your wins or losses. Voice online would be nice, but I like the PS2 controller better than the XBOX's. Wish you could play across platforms for some console v. console team matches.

Graphics: 9.0 If you want cutting edge then this may not be your cup of tea. I will say that the graphics are really solid with NO framerate loss, no clipping, and everything is very clean and functional. Sense of speed is perhaps unparalleled in racing games. Play in first person mode, hit the nitrous and you'll understand. It's like "Fast and the Furious" on your console! Particle effects are really cool with great sparks and smoke etc. Major city landmarks are present and make the game like a caricature of real life.

Sound: 8.5 Nice selection of rap and techno in terms of the soundtrack. Plus you unlock songs as you go and can change tunes on the fly which is nice. If you turn the music off, the sound effects are great as well and will get your pulse racing. As you are filling your slip-stream turbo meter your pulse will race as you hit it and hear the exhaust and engine go nuts. Bikes and Cars also have nice engine noises. Pedestrians and cops talk a lot too and say funny stuff. DPL2 compatible.

Gameplay: 10.0 Fun from the word go. I honestly can't think of a way to make the game better short of being able to customize your cars. The off-line game is really fun with good. likeable characters with real personalities. Some get mad and then get even, some take the moral highroad. The city layout is great and the fact that you have a map, arrow (a la Crazy Taxi), and a massive beacon telling you where the next checkpoint is, you can choose your own best method of getting from point to point. Online racing is limitless fun. There are the dumbasses who host games and then quit when they're losing, but I just hosted my own games and got some really cool guys racing with me (Speed Demon or High Tymes: you guys on this forum?). By the way you can have analog acceleration/braking using the analog buttons, or the right joystick on PS2.

Lasting Appeal: 10.0 As I said above the game online is limitless amounts of fun. Having real human opponents who don't use perfect "lines" and do screw up and do attack you, is great fun. No lag online too even with 8 people. The game seems like it might not be that long off-line (I'm at 19% after one night of play) but it's getting a lot tougher as I go along. Haven't unlocked any of the other cities yet.

In short, if you like to race, play this game offline, then play it online. You'll need some practice and some cars to play well. Watch for me online with nickname "The Franchise". I live my life a quarter mile at a time....

Last edited by The Franchise; 04-10-03 at 10:04 AM.
Old 04-10-03, 10:49 AM

Am I the only one who wants to know where the DTS thats advertised on the back of the box (in big print) is in the game??? I cant find it anywhere!!! I was gonna hold off till the xbox version came out then I saw DTS so I picked it up and its not there anywhere!!!!
Old 04-10-03, 11:05 AM

>Am I the only one who wants to know where the DTS thats advertised on the back of the box (in big print) is in the game??? <

Nope, I was wondering the same thing. And the DPLogic 2 support was pretty weask IMHO. The music and lack of good sound was the only thing about this game that I felt was a let down. Might have to sell my copy and get the X-box version so I can get 5.1 and custom soundtracks (and X-Box live).
Old 04-10-03, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Was wondering about DTS myself. Not a massive letdown in my book, but still, if it's advertised on the box and isn't in the game then something's wrong.

By the way there are 14 music tracks for LA, another 14 for Paris, and another 12 for Tokyo.
Old 04-10-03, 03:39 PM

Yeah I am going to take mine back to gamestop (they still do one time returns i think... first thing I purchased from them in a couple years) and preorder the xbox version.
Old 04-10-03, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
How's it on difficulty? I remember playing the first one and it was great up until a handful of races that would be next to impossible. Therefore, I got too frustrated and never picked it up again.
Old 04-10-03, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pretty easy at first but there is a definite ramp in toughess. But it also gets more familiar as you get intimate with the car's or bike's handling and the layout of the city. Sometimes it's hard to get the best "line" through the city because the CPU opponents don't always follow the same path. Tricky suckers....
Old 04-10-03, 08:54 PM

Did anyone try this out online yet? I hope it is good because I am looking for another game to take online with the PS2.
Old 04-10-03, 10:18 PM

OUCH...7.3...on Gamespot....I swear...some of their reviews are pretty lowball if not most of them.....if MC2 continues to receive 9s and 10s everywhere else--how can anyone take Gamespot seriously?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.