Reload this Page >

This Show Is Still On???

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

This Show Is Still On???

Old 04-07-03, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This Show Is Still On???

You ever look over your TV Guide and find yourself surprised that a show is still airing? I remember being shocked to discover that Facts of Life was still on the air, and I think that Dallas was on the tube for years beyond when it should have been.

Looking over the network shows... did you know that The Drew Carey Show is still being shown? It's being held for a "summer relaunch". And on NBC, we've still got new episodes of Just Shoot Me to savor. What is CBS doing still airing episodes of Touched by an Angel? Didn't this show first air during the Reagan administration?

What shows are still (surprisingly) on the schedule? And what classic shows aired years beyond their prime?
Old 04-07-03, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,357 Likes on 922 Posts
Drew Carey is still a good show. It just got screwed this year b/c ABC moved it around alot. It got moved to Monday nights and wasn't show almost the entire football season. Then it got moved to Friday nights.
Old 04-07-03, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looking over some of the cancelled shows this season, I was surprised as well to see Touched By an Angel still on. As well as Just Shoot Me. Not to mention Friends. I still recall having that feeling for the last two years X Files was on.
Old 04-07-03, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm still suprised that 7th Heaven is on. I have no clue as to why it is so damn pupular, the few episodes I've sat through seem to be bursting with preachy goody-two shoe messages, and yet the WB's most successful show.

And it debut in the begining too...shouldn't that mean Ruthie is learning to drive already?
Old 04-07-03, 11:19 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
THE.....PRICE......IS.........RIGHT.........
Old 04-07-03, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by SuperJim88

What else do people ages 70-100 have to watch in the morning?
Old 04-07-03, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by freedexter
I'm still suprised that 7th Heaven is on. I have no clue as to why it is so damn pupular.

How dare you disgrace the show that brought us Jessica Biel!

Old 04-07-03, 11:35 PM

Originally posted by Deftones
Drew Carey is still a good show. It just got screwed this year b/c ABC moved it around alot. It got moved to Monday nights and wasn't show almost the entire football season. Then it got moved to Friday nights.

A network exec moving a popular, albeit aging show to place a crappy new show in it's time slot. Well we certainly never seen that before...
Old 04-07-03, 11:46 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Mopower
How dare you disgrace the show that brought us Jessica Biel!

Can I just say yummy? Jessica's @#$%ing hot man! So I was flipping channels the other day and found Little House on the Prairie's still on. Man, one of them daughters was hot...
Old 04-08-03, 12:17 AM
Cool New Member

Wheel of Fortune

Judge Judy
Old 04-08-03, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by SuperJim88
That is not a bad thing! Given how day time TV has been taken over by Povich, Springer, and countless court shows, thank God there is still at least ONE network game show on the air! I am all for a game show revival for week day mornings! It is JERRY SPRINGER I can't believe is still on the air. And Povich. And anyother tabloid TV host.
Old 04-08-03, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
Re: This Show Is Still On???

Originally posted by ncmojo
Looking over the network shows... did you know that The Drew Carey Show is still being shown? It's being held for a "summer relaunch". And on NBC, we've still got new episodes of Just Shoot Me to savor. What is CBS doing still airing episodes of Touched by an Angel? Didn't this show first air during the Reagan administration?

What shows are still (surprisingly) on the schedule? And what classic shows aired years beyond their prime?
I believe ABC gave the Drew Carey show a 3 year renewal either last year or two years ago. That means they have to run the show or pay Drew a lot of money. That is why it is now on Friday.
An analogous example is the show The Simpsons. If, in the unlikely event that the ratings tank this year for the Simpsons, Fox would still be contractually obligated to run the show for another 2 years regardless.

I believe that the other two shows (Just Shoot me and Touched by an Angel) are going to be cancelled. They were preempted during Sweeps and are going to be burned off until May.
In some instances a show is kept on the air (i.e. Just Shoot Me) to increase its syndication value as more episodes generally will net a higher fee.

By the way, I love the Price is Right. The ratings are strong for what is it and it did relatively well as CBS stunted the show during Feb. Sweeps.
Old 04-08-03, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Who wants to be a Millionaire. Is the Weakest Link still on too?

Gameshows and soap operas take the cake for longest running shows...

I'm surprised they still have family fued on, even after the whole scandal with Louie Anderson and replacement by that guy from Home Improvement. But I'm really surprised that the awful Hollywood Squares is still on.
Old 04-08-03, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Craig Kilborn.
Old 04-08-03, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Enterprise

Old 04-08-03, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think this is the last season of Touched by an Angel.
Old 04-08-03, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by fujishig
Who wants to be a Millionaire. Is the Weakest Link still on too?

Gameshows and soap operas take the cake for longest running shows...

I'm surprised they still have family fued on, even after the whole scandal with Louie Anderson and replacement by that guy from Home Improvement. But I'm really surprised that the awful Hollywood Squares is still on.
I think Richard Karn and Henry Winkler are far better for their respective game shows than the previous people responsible for them, and Family Feud is one of the great American game shows. I would have to question living in a world where that can't be on!

As for Star Trek Enterprise, that is one I forgot. Considering each Trek series is for 7 years, if Enterprise goes for 7 years, that will push Trek up to 28 years on the air since Next Generation premiered (take a couple, due to overlaps for DS9 and Voyager). Not only does that make me feel freaking OLD, but wow, this show has overstayed it's welcome on TV! I am all for Trek and all, but this series is running on more fumes than the Simpsons.
Old 04-08-03, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

About court shows:

Only one I like is Texas Justice. You guys should definitely watch this one.

I can't believe Just Shoot Me is still on. Thank God it might not be coming back next year. Should have been gone since the second season. I can't believe Good Morning Miami still has legs. Awful show.
Old 04-08-03, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Originally posted by xnlt
Judge Judy
Have you seen the numbers on her last contract???

Back in January, she was renewed for FOUR more years at, get this, $25 Million PER YEAR.

I mean, those are A-Rod numbers.......
Old 04-08-03, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Henry Winkler is hosting Hollywood Squares? Or some other gameshow? cool... haven't seen him around much since his role in Waterboy (though he does have a relatively minor role in the upcoming kids movie"Holes")

I dunno... I used to like Family Fued, but it's just not the same. I can't quite place what it is, though...

I can't believe that Becker is still on. It's on Sundays, right? I haven't seen a single post on that show here.
Old 04-08-03, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by fujishig
Henry Winkler is hosting Hollywood Squares? Or some other gameshow? cool... haven't seen him around much since his role in Waterboy (though he does have a relatively minor role in the upcoming kids movie"Holes")

I dunno... I used to like Family Fued, but it's just not the same. I can't quite place what it is, though...

I can't believe that Becker is still on. It's on Sundays, right? I haven't seen a single post on that show here.
Henry Winkler took over Whoppi Goldberg's job at Hollywood Squares (without having to do the center square, obviously). He may actually do more, as far as producing and such go, but he's really turned the show around since Goldberg's days.

I really like Richard Karn as the host of the new Family Feud. I never really got used to Louie Anderson, and only tolerated him. I do think the show feels too fast, tho. I know they probably have to give more time for commercials since it is in syndication, but the show feels so rushed at times, but I still like it. Dawson was the best, but it's good still.
Old 04-08-03, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally posted by calhoun07
I really like Richard Karn as the host of the new Family Feud. I never really got used to Louie Anderson, and only tolerated him. I do think the show feels too fast, tho. I know they probably have to give more time for commercials since it is in syndication, but the show feels so rushed at times, but I still like it. Dawson was the best, but it's good still.
This is off topic and a minirant. I like Family Feud. I like the lightning round at the end. I hate the "triple the points round" with the one strike. I think it is GROSSLY unfair.
95% of the time, the previous rounds are made irrelevant by the triple points round. I have seen teams that have won each round lose to a team with zero points because the zero points team got the win with usually a steal.

I think they should revert to three strikes on the last round or play until one team reaches 300 points. To fit the show within the 22 minutes timeframe, just edit out all the flubs, mispoken words, stutters, and lame jokes by Louie Anderson. You would have PLENTY of time then to play the feud.
Old 04-08-03, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by chowderhead
This is off topic and a minirant. I like Family Feud. I like the lightning round at the end. I hate the "triple the points round" with the one strike. I think it is GROSSLY unfair.
95% of the time, the previous rounds are made irrelevant by the triple points round. I have seen teams that have won each round lose to a team with zero points because the zero points team got the win with usually a steal.

I think they should revert to three strikes on the last round or play until one team reaches 300 points. To fit the show within the 22 minutes timeframe, just edit out all the flubs, mispoken words, stutters, and lame jokes by Louie Anderson. You would have PLENTY of time then to play the feud.

Continuing the off topic territory: The triple point question is a clear example of how making this show seem more rushed hurts it. Of course, most triple score questions are so freaking easy, sometimes the family deserves just one strike, but I totally get what you are saying. I've seen families win with just ONE answer in a steal and the enitre game they gave stupid answer after stupid answer and deserved to lose. Come to think of it, that part of the game is the only thing I really don't care for in the new version.

Keeping things on topic, I am surprised nobody has mentioned Meet the Press. Not that it's a bad thing it's still on, but it has been on for over 60 years!
Old 04-09-03, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
I think that someone should put Will & Grace out of it's misery. It used to be a great show, but this season has been absolutely horrible. Harry Connick Jr. was the death rattle, hopefully.
Old 04-09-03, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am still stunned that FOX is dragging Futurama's death rattle out, please hand over the remaining episodes to Cartoon Network already.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.