Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Got Order of the Phoenix on eBooks [???]

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Got Order of the Phoenix on eBooks [???]

Old 04-06-03, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got Order of the Phoenix on eBooks. WTF???

I just wanted to know if this is real, because someone sent me an email containing Harry Potter eBooks. I know it's kinda illegal, but I'm just surprised with what I get. Here's the quote of the first two paragraph:

Chapter 1- The Trip

It was the most wonderful feeling Harry ever experienced. He was flying through the air, feeling the wind blow by and through his entire body. The warm sun was glowing all over him and some birds were flying by, singing merrily. He raced them, not knowing where to, just knowing he was having the best time of his life. As Harry was shooting ahead, he looked forward, and saw a thin line on the ground.
Harry threw his hands back, getting a sudden burst of speed. He was going far faster than the birds now, he could hear their voices trailing behind him, getting farther and farther behind him. The thin line was getting closer as Harry sped up. As he got nearer to it, the Sun’s warmth became slightly colder, and the wind was blowing much harder. Despite this, he continued on, having a huge desire to see what the line was dividing.
I got 32 chapters of them. Kinda freaks me out. I can't wait to read the 5th book, but I think I'm going to buy the hardcopy instead.

So... the question is... is this really Rowling who wrote this? If it is, how the copy can get into my hand, given it is not released yet?

Last edited by eedoon; 04-07-03 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-07-03, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I seem to recall them printing the first few sentences of the book back when they announced the release of the book and it involved a scene of a boy lying down on the ground enjoying the summer heat. Nothing at all like what you just posted. But what do I know?
Old 04-07-03, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't think that's Rowling at all...

We all know how the book starts out. Rowling also manages to put in quite a bit of unnecessary expository info before throwing Harry into too much action. This just doesn't look right at all.

Comma splices give me headaches. Looks like you've got some fan fiction of some kind. Maybe this is the fake one that was a bestseller in Asia... I forget what it was called.
Old 04-07-03, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks. I just had to make sure that it wasn't Rowling. Anyone know anything about this fake?
Old 04-08-03, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was thinking it could be this one http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/tv...00/2092610.stm

It is entitled "Harry Potter and Leopard Walk Up to Dragon"
Old 04-08-03, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This may allegedly be by Rowling, but it doesn't sound like her style at all.

And where are the muggles? She always starts out with them.
Old 04-08-03, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The muggles are showing up later in the first chapter.

“HARRY!”, yelled the voice. Now Harry knew who was making it, his Aunt Petunia. His door exploded open and his she blasted through.
“Harry get down here this- oh!”, she saw Harry while he was changing his pants and all he had on was his underwear. She quickly backed out of the room and yelled, just as loudly as before, “Get downstairs now! It’s Dudley’s birthday, and you’re late! We need you to make breakfast!”
So there is definitely a fake. But in the link Cornfed gave:
Harry Potter and Leopard Walk Up to Dragon begins: "Harry doesn't know how long it will take to wash the sticky cream cake off his face."
That is quite different than the version I get, isn't? Is there's another fake version?