Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Nintendo Sales Strong (Zelda, Pokemon, GBA SP)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-03, 10:42 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those that care about sales.

Nintendo Claims Top Sales Spots

By: D. F. Smith April 4, 2003 11:35 AM PST

In its latest press release touting its North American sales success, Nintendo claims the best-selling console game, the best-selling portable game, and the best-selling game console in North America for the month of March. Nintendo's announcement offers no hard sales figures, and quietly omits mention of the publisher's nigh-empty release slate for the rest of 2003, but it's inarguable that Nintendo is having a fine spring on the strength of The Legend of Zelda and the Game Boy Advance SP.
The Wind Waker initially shipped 1.1 million copies to the US market, and Nintendo states that retailers "are quickly burning through" that supply, although no sales figures are offered to back that up. Nintendo also claims a 20% jump in Gamecube hardware sales on the strength of the new title's arrival. Meanwhile, Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire have shipped 2.2 million units in the United States, supported by the shipment of 800,000 Game Boy Advance SPs to retail.

"At what is traditionally a slow time of the year for video games, Nintendo has seized the sales initiative," says Toys R Us game buyer Richard Simone. "With their blockbuster products Game Boy Advance SP, The Legend of Zelda and Pokemon, they're a big part of why video games are one of the truly bright spots at retail."
Old 04-05-03, 10:53 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
What's the source of this article?
Old 04-05-03, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts
The SP has pulled me back into gaming like a team of coke-crazed wild horses. They swung for the fences and they hit the parking lot IMHO with the SP.

If they want even more software numbers, they can keep porting old SNES games, and maybe throw in some NES game compilations for the Advance while they're at it. I'd love to have the original Zelda in portable form.
Old 04-05-03, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
The free game with console probably helped console sales as much as anything.

Nice to see them having a good Spring, but I have to agree they will have to get through the rest of the year without a clear killer ap coming out. Though F-Zero, Soul Calibur 2, and Mario Golf may do well.
Old 04-06-03, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts
I am amazed that they released three of their biggest products in the span of two weeks: Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire, GBA SP, and Zelda Wind Waker. Plus, it's at a time when traditionally not a lot of product is coming out, as it's neither summer nor Christmas.

Plus, the war can't be helping sales... but if they're doing well, I'm glad. I know they got my money for all three.
Old 04-06-03, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it's weird that the writer of the article was compelled to write "Nintendo's announcement ... quietly omits mention of the publisher's nigh-empty release slate for the rest of 2003" in the second sentence. Not only does that statement have little relevance to the point of the arctice but it's also not entirely true. While games like F-Zero, Wario World, 1080, Mario Golf/Tennis, Mario Kart, Pikmin 2, Animal Crossing 2, etc. might not be system sellers they will all most likely sell very well, if not superbly.
Old 04-06-03, 02:49 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Kellehair
I think it's weird that the writer of the article was compelled to write "Nintendo's announcement ... quietly omits mention of the publisher's nigh-empty release slate for the rest of 2003" in the second sentence.
Which is why I asked the source of the article, which was curiously omitted. It seems the writer has a bias against the company...and is doing his best to spin this into bad news.
Old 04-06-03, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

supposedly Nintendo is going to reveal everything at E3 - including a new Mario game
Old 04-06-03, 06:09 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Groucho
What's the source of this article?
http://www.gamers.com/news/1347568

I just omitted it because I was lazy and had seen the same story on a couple of sites.

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 04-06-03 at 06:12 PM.
Old 04-07-03, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's always good to hear when companies are doing better.
Old 04-07-03, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 956 Likes on 663 Posts
I agree with all the criticism of the article. Perhaps they do not have any real system sellers coming out. but I don't see either of the other two coming out with any of those either (isn't Halo 2 pushed back to 2004). With Animal Crossing 2, Pikmin 2, Soul Caliber 2, F-Zero, Star Fox, Mario golf, mario tennis, mario kart and wario world coming out (granted not sure if all of them will make it by the end of the year) I would hardly call their release slate "nigh-empty". This doesn't include those that are announced but much further in the future.

I am still somewhat surprised at the good sales figure for pokemon'. It really was not a big departure from the original (did anyone catch the comparison photos in EGM) Even my brother who is a big pokemon fanatic who reserved the games a month ahead admits that it is a little disappointing. If Nintendo is not careful they may lose a lot of fans.
Old 04-07-03, 02:40 PM

Nintendo drops aim for GameCube sales

By David Becker
Staff Writer, CNET News.com
April 7, 2003, 9:58 AM PT

Japanese game giant Nintendo says that sales of its GameCube console are coming in well below forecasts.
The company announced in a statement Monday that it expects to report sales of 5.6 million GameCube units for the company's fiscal year, which ended March 31. That compares with lowered sales forecasts, provided late last year, that called for sales of 10 million to 12 million units.

Nintendo has been locked in a contest with Microsoft to claim second place in the lucrative video game market, behind market leader Sony, whose PlayStation 2 console surpassed the 50 million-unit mark early this year.

Recent signs show Microsoft pulling ahead in the race, with the company saying it expects to have sold 9 million units of its Xbox console by the end of the company's fiscal year, June 30.

Several major third-party game publishers have said recently that they intend to scale back the number of GameCube titles they will offer, and major European retailers have said they may drop sales of the console.

Nintendo said in the statement that sales of its Game Boy Advance handheld player were doing better than expected, however. The company expects to report sales of 15.7 million Game Boy units for the fiscal year, slightly ahead of its target of 15 million.

The GameCube news prompted Nintendo to lower its financial outlook for the recently concluded fiscal year. The company now expects earnings of $550 million (66 billion yen) for the year, down from previous forecasts for $666 million in profit and from the $886 million it made a year ago.
CNET News.com Article

Nintendo owns the handheld market but it looks like they're going to come out last in the console race. Still, it's pretty shocking that they only sold half what they thought they would. The article doesn't mention whether the figures are for worldwide or US sales, but it's probably worldwide.
Old 04-07-03, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

from cube.ign's mailbag....

Matt responds: Yes, actually. The numbers I have suggest that Wind Waker has sold through 650,000 units -- a far cry from the 1.1 million mark, which refers to the numbers of units Nintendo has actually shipped to retailers. The funny thing about the 650,000 figure, if true -- and I'm fairly certain it is -- is that it means only 50,000 or so people have bought the game in addition to pre-orders. A lot of pre-orders, yes. But will the sales rate drop off significantly now that the hardcore audience has swooped the game up? Guess we'll have to wait for TRST data to see how this one unfolds. It's going to be interesting.
Old 04-07-03, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts
"The company now expects earnings of $550 million (66 billion yen) for the year, down from previous forecasts for $666 million in profit and from the $886 million it made a year ago."

They were projecting 666 million dollars, but now have brought that down to 66 billion Yen? Is this the sign of the apocalypse?
Old 04-07-03, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 190 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally posted by fujishig
"The company now expects earnings of $550 million (66 billion yen) for the year, down from previous forecasts for $666 million in profit and from the $886 million it made a year ago."

They were projecting 666 million dollars, but now have brought that down to 66 billion Yen? Is this the sign of the apocalypse?
The end is coming!