Reload this Page >

Shows That Make The Best Use Of Music

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 04-04-03, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many shows use music just as a background, or even to push new artists, but some shows actually use music that matches (or even futhers) the shows plot, or to seemingly let you inside to what a character is feeling (I am referring to songs that are already released, and not just musical tracks). There are a couple of shows that consistently do this, and here is my list of those that do it best:

Without A Trace & Alias - These two shows are definitely the best at using music for plot purposes. Often occuring at the end of an episode, they consistently pick songs that reflect what the characters are going through (Sidney from Alias, Jack from Without A Trace), and make you feel their pain.

Scrubs - Although usually not as emotional as the above shows (it is a comedy after all), when Scrubs does use music, it tends to be the right song at the right time (Colin Hay's Overkill, the episode that ended with the cast singing after the death of a patient - can't remember the name of the episode, etc).

The Shield - This show never really jumped out to me in this category before, but after the finale of Season Two, there is no way that I could not mention it. The use of Live's "Overcome" added the perfect touch to an already excellent episode.

Any other shows jump out to others?
Old 04-04-03, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Twin Peaks always struck me as one with musical importance.
Old 04-04-03, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts
Fastlane
Old 04-04-03, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 193 Likes on 158 Posts
movieking - When I read the thread title the first two shows I thought of were Scrubs and Alias. I would also like to throw in E.R. - the producers of that show do an excellent job w/ the music, when they choose to use it.
Old 04-04-03, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I would have probably thrown in ER as well, if I still watched it (I found that the storylines are pretty weak now, and I prefer Without A Trace now). An excellent example of ER in this category is "Sand & Water" by Beth Nielsen Chapman...
Old 04-04-03, 10:05 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I was also going to mention The Shield. They not only use great music to enhance the mood, they often highlight up and coming artists rather than only sticking with the popular stuff.
Old 04-04-03, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Scrubs! Last night was one of many great examples with 99 Luft Balloons. They also use a lot of more obscure music.

I'll also agree with The Shield. The Season 1 finale using that Coldplay song was gut wrenching.

Freaks and Geeks and Undeclared made great use of music. One of my favorite moments from Undeclared was when the guys were playing "Big Pimpin'"

Of course, Miami Vice is an all timer.

Worst use of music? I'll say American Idol. But I haven't seen the new Star Search
Old 04-04-03, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Sopranos makes some of the best use of source music of any show on TV. Homicide: Life on the Street did as well and earlier in its run, Buffy the Vampire Slayer used music to great effect.
Old 04-04-03, 12:31 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
The Sopranos and Six Feet Under are both way ahead of other shows in their ability to integrate music into the narrative of each episode. The source music they use is better, too.
Old 04-04-03, 12:42 PM
Admin Emeritus

Alias is the one show I can think of.
Old 04-04-03, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 917 Likes on 640 Posts
I agree with W/Out a trace and scrubs. the others I don't watch.

Smallville has good music that fits well. It is a bit self promoting though. which isn't necessarily bad.
Old 04-04-03, 01:25 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love the use of music in tv and movies, but this season has been a bad year in general for tv and for music in tv. I loved the music in season 1 of Smallville, Alias, and the Shield, but this season the music has been absolutely horrible in those shows. Alias's use of Walk On by U2 was the worst use of music I've ever seen in tv or movies.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple shows that did an amazing job with music, but the best one I can remember is Roswell. They introduced to me to a couple of great songs, specifically Everything by Lifehouse and Trouble by Coldplay before everybody else started using Coldplay. Also, I didn't like Walk On by U2 until they used it amazingly well in their season 2 finale. Alias has since tarnished the song for me again.

Scrubs has also really impressed me with their music since a lot of it I don't like by itself, but they do a great job of using it.
Old 04-04-03, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Alias as well. "back in black" for the now famous bra and panties entrence, and "god put a smile on your face" from Coldplay when all the "magic" happened for Sydney and Vaughn
Old 04-07-03, 12:09 AM

Bernie Mac uses the best soul music soundtrack ever on tv. It compliments the narrative and really brings back memories for those of us over 40.
Old 04-07-03, 12:46 AM

Due South had some great music in it. made for some great tv
Old 04-07-03, 01:01 AM

Originally posted by Red Dog
Fastlane
I concur.
Old 04-07-03, 02:40 PM

american dreams and new york undercover. both have music artists and ambient really intertwined with the shows.
Old 04-07-03, 02:59 PM
Banned

The first two shows I thought of:

Six Feet Under
The Sheild

I think HBO in general has done a great job integrated music to enhance their dramas. Yet another reason why I'm addicted.
Old 04-07-03, 06:00 PM

Miami Vice
Old 04-07-03, 06:15 PM

Originally posted by Nathan Gervais
The Sopranos makes some of the best use of source music of any show on TV. Homicide: Life on the Street did as well and earlier in its run, Buffy the Vampire Slayer used music to great effect.
Early Buffy definitely deserves a mention. Setting aside all the stuff at the Bronze, which usually fit well within the episodes, the Buffy & Angel theme ("Close Your Eyes", I believe) is the only piece of background music that I can instantly recognize, and the final scenes of season two, with "Full of Grace" playing, are absolutely perfect.

My So-Called Life also had some great musical moments, and I'm glad the music is intact on the DVD release.
Old 04-07-03, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts
As soon as I saw this title, only two shows came to mind.

The Shield and Robbery Homicide Division.

The Shield always uses alot of newer rock stuff that seems to fit the scene and mood of the show.

Robbery Homicide Division (RIP ) always has really cool trance and techno music going on. They've played some more mainstream stuff too. The first time I saw the show, that is what I noticed first, the music.

Other notable mentions would be CSI and CSI: Miami. I think that is b/c Graeme Revell does the music for the shows.

Last edited by Deftones, Esq; 04-07-03 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-07-03, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Sopranos
Six Feet Under
Wonder Years
Shield
Cowboy Bebop
Old 04-07-03, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 407 Likes on 352 Posts
Past shows:

Highlander The Series
M.A.S.H.

Current shows:

Enterprise
Boston Public (at times a little cheesy, but overall I like it).
Old 04-08-03, 12:28 PM

Originally posted by flabio
I concur.
I also agree with Fastlane, Alias and Scrubs but the best of all is American Dreams.

Fastlane is just a fun show but the other 3 are probably my three favorite shows on the air.
Old 04-08-03, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Shows with big music budgets make the best use of music...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.