Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

GameCube memory card advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-03, 11:35 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
GameCube memory card advice

So I have bought Super Mario Sunshine twice in the last week. Once at Target for 45.00 (10% off new credit card) with the free 251 memory card, and once at Blockbuster new for 24.99.

I was going to return the Target one, as I already have 3 memory cards, 1 of them a 251.

So my question is this, how many memory cards do you think I'll need? I'm pretty new to the GameCube, but already have almost 10 titles. All except Animal Crossing seem to be fairly small in the memory card size requirement. I'm quite the collector and bargain hunter, so I'll probably have 25 titles by the end of the year.
Old 04-04-03, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have about 15 games & have used less than half of my 251
Old 04-04-03, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you play sports games, then get at least one 251 just for those. another 251 is adequate for all other games.
Old 04-04-03, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts
It depends on what you play. One of the major reasons why I don't like sports games is because they take up so much freakin' memory. I find the 59 cards to be of little use except to back up data (I really do not want to lose My super smash bros data) or start more games since the big N doesn't want you saving more than three save files per card.

So if you return the Target one that means you have to return the 251 as well. I suggest you have at least one of those but you can pick one up at Best Buy for $15 with $5 coupon. sooo....up to you.
Old 04-04-03, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got around eleven games (none of them sports), and still have 160 blocks remaining on my 251.

That oughta hold me for a while. Any sports games (save Mario Golf or Tennis) I'll get on the XBox. I don't plan on having to get a new card for another two years or so (and that may be conservative).

Always, and as usual, YMMV. . .
Old 04-04-03, 04:37 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
Thanks for all the input all!

I think I'll return the Target one, since my 3 memory cards should be enough, especially since I get my sports games on my Xbox.
Old 04-04-03, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts
If you have Animal Crossing, that'll use a full 59 card... though it does come with one. But yeah, the only real memory hogs are all the sports games (especially season modes), the rest seem really economical in how they store their data.
Old 04-05-03, 10:56 AM

I've always been a little leery of third party memory cards ever since the Dreamcast, but I bought a Nyko 64mb card from best buy with over 1000 blocks for $19.99 and with 8 games including 2 sports games, I still have 900 blocks free and haven't had a single problem. Should be the only memory card I ever need. It doesn't fit in the gamecase's memory card slot, but it has it's own case.
Old 04-05-03, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by valvenis
I've always been a little leery of third party memory cards ever since the Dreamcast, but I bought a Nyko 64mb card from best buy with over 1000 blocks for $19.99 and with 8 games including 2 sports games, I still have 900 blocks free and haven't had a single problem. Should be the only memory card I ever need. It doesn't fit in the gamecase's memory card slot, but it has it's own case.
I did this too, and couldnt' be happier. Have multiple full season sports games on it, and have plenty of space left. I do worry time to time (mainly when I take the card with me) that I will lose everything, but so far so good.
Old 04-05-03, 06:00 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Don't use a third party memory card unless you won't mind suddenly losing all of your saves. Not that this will happen to everybody, but I've read way too many horror stories on this forum and others to touch those things.
Old 04-06-03, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

the only good 3rd party storage devices are the ones that allow you to transfer the data to your computer's hard drive - which incidentally allows you to download saves from the internet. I had one for DC and it was probably the best peripheral i ever used. Even when the card does get corrupted data, you always have the backup on your comp.
Old 04-07-03, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally posted by Superboy
the only good 3rd party storage devices are the ones that allow you to transfer the data to your computer's hard drive - which incidentally allows you to download saves from the internet. I had one for DC and it was probably the best peripheral i ever used. Even when the card does get corrupted data, you always have the backup on your comp.
Is there any word on this peripheral for the GCN? I would love one of these.
Old 07-24-03, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I know this is an old thread, but I remember people liking the Nyco card... I just picked one up at Best Buy, after not seeing it for a long time. has anyone had any other problems with this 3rd party gamecube card yet?

Do they make a sharkport/xport for Gamecube? How did the DC one work (since it didn't have USB slots, did it?)
Old 07-24-03, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The DC card i used had an I/O port, not a USB hub. Not much memory to transfer anyways.

So far, haven't heard anything about a similar device for Gamecube.

One last thing to all Gamecube owners: if you play an import game, when you start up the game it will format your memory card!
Old 07-24-03, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ah, the old dex drives... I forgot about those. I was expecting the sharkport/xport to be a similar peripheral, but it's just a usb cable adapter... I guess they don't put the picture on the box because it doesn't look worth it (though it definitely is!)

I'm considering returning the Nyko and getting the Action Replay with 16 x memory card instead... anyone have one of those? Can I save other things to the card (I can't imagine filling that card up with just cheat codes)? It's made by Datel...

Import games will automatically format your memory card? it won't even prompt you? Since the AR works as a freeloader, any games (besides SC2) worth importing? I'm thinking Japanese specific ones, like Gundam or Super Robot games...
Old 07-24-03, 03:38 PM

I'm frustrated with the new NCAA 2004 for GC. Somehow EA found a way to further increase the number of blocks used. It's now ABOVE 251. SO I can save my dynasty season and profiles and all, but with the new EA BIO feature, it sends the blocks over the edge and I have to switch cards everytime now. I wish either they could find a way to decrease memory size when saving or Nintendo would come out with yet another new Mem Card.
Old 07-24-03, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I can't believe they would actually make it over 251. That is crazy. Is that with or without a saved roster or second profile? Even for the PS2, I had to xport most of my saves to the computer to make room for the dynasty mode, etc.

Weren't they looking at some new kind of compression for the season modes in sports games? Or is this what the GC will always have to face? The only non sports game I own that takes more than a couple of blocks is animal crossing...
Old 07-24-03, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
The SD apaptor is suppose to be released at some point and they should give pretty much unlimited storage space.

That is if Nintendo ever decides to release the darn thing.
Old 07-24-03, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The SD adaptor is already out in Japan. The game Animal Crossing e+ uses it for different kinds of things you can do in the game, I haven't really looked into it that much though.

Animal Crossing comes with its own memory card here so it isn't such a big deal for that.

I've had my 251 since it came out and so far it hasn't filled up and I've rented a lot of games! Most only take up just a few blocks. I don't play sports games either.
Old 07-24-03, 09:38 PM

The only bad thing about the 251 (I believe, correct me if I'm wrong) is that it only has room for 16 individual saves. There was a time when I had about 130 blocks free, but the card was almost full because of this. I think. Could be wrong.
Old 07-24-03, 10:36 PM

Originally posted by fujishig
I can't believe they would actually make it over 251. That is crazy. Is that with or without a saved roster or second profile? Even for the PS2, I had to xport most of my saves to the computer to make room for the dynasty mode, etc.

Weren't they looking at some new kind of compression for the season modes in sports games? Or is this what the GC will always have to face? The only non sports game I own that takes more than a couple of blocks is animal crossing...
Basically here's what I did. Completely free 251 Mem. Card. No Saves on it. Started NCAA from the beginning and began a Dynasty. So my Card has a Roster, Profile, Dynasty, Settings and then there are I believe 17 blocks still free. With the new EA BIO system, which I guess tracks all the EA games you play to unlock features in other titles, takes 28 blocks, so I'm over by just 11 blocks, which makes me use a nice little 59 block card. It's really annoying on bootup that I am always prompted about not having enough free space on my card, despite that I have a Dynasty, settings, profile roster etc...
Old 07-24-03, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Tigger
It's really annoying on bootup that I am always prompted about not having enough free space on my card, despite that I have a Dynasty, settings, profile roster etc...

That pisses me off too. And then, after games, it asks you if you want to save your EA sports Bio.