DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best DVD Purchasing Story

Whats the best dvd story you've got?
Old 04-03-03, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Heres a crazy/unlikely story:

I went to Best Buy a few months ago. Went right to the DVD section, picked up what I wanted and checked out. All in 10 minutes and best buy DIDN"T HASSLE ME
Old 04-03-03, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
A month or so after "Criterion Tati Gone OOP" panic swept the country, I walked into a Wherehouse and there were 2 of 'em still sitting in the bin waiting for me.
Old 04-03-03, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I never get harassed at Best Buy unless I pick up a strategy guide to look through it. Then it's BAM! Someone's bummin' off of our merchandise! As for best DVD experience...the other day at CC when I wandered aimlessly looking for WSS, and a sales rep politely helped me and completely understood when I told her I was broke. CC her in town is great. Best Buy is awful.
Old 04-03-03, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

won a friends meager collection of 58 dvds on a poker bet. a grown man sobbing like a twist is pathetic.
Old 04-04-03, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I walked inot the grand re-opening of my local used/new place in February and on the shelf in the kids section were Lady and the Tramp, Mulan, 101 Dalmations, Little Mermaid, and Pinnochio all in great condition. Got them for a steal.
Old 04-04-03, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I once sat down at my computer, found a dvd I wanted, clicked on it and waited. Two days later it arrived on my doorstep. Incredible!
Old 04-04-03, 02:18 AM

Going to the store and buying the oop little shop of horrors. Thanks to the people who posted that it was showing up along with the reissued one at some stores.
Old 04-04-03, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1. Any time I find an OOP disk I want to own at the local used place for cheap. I don't resell disks so I am just happy to get the film. For example Demon KNight or Dawn of the Dead... for $12 each.

2. The Toy's R Us sale of StarWars Attack of the Clones for $9.99. Not for the deal but because I walked in and I'm looking around or a wide screen version and they have one left. Then the person who walked in 20 sec behind me gets told "He got the last one"

A fav story being I was the lucky guy getting the last disk and not my normal "DOH they are all out!?!!? damn" thing that happens for most super sale items.
Old 04-04-03, 05:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Whelp, mine would have to be picking up a brand new still sealed copy of the Godfather Trilogy in a used bin at a record store for $44.99. I have no idea why it was in the used bin as it's perfect, widescreen, still got the original sticker. And I'm one of the .01% of the population that has never seen these films so the purchase was pre-ordained. I think I will sit down and watch them all on my upcoming vacation

-Gunshy
Old 04-04-03, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
My best story is getting the first season of the X-files for around $7 new, "back in the day" on the forum. Kinda fuzzy on all the details but it was around $110 pre-order on cdnow. Used a 30% off coupon to drop it to $77. Used a $50 test drive gift card(got for free), drops to $27. Used brandsforless to get another $25 back along with ****** for another $5 or so. So what it ended up being was around $3 + shipping.

ahh, the good old days.

Season 2: around $30
Season 3: around $45
Season 4 and up: around $70
Old 04-04-03, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Mine would probably be either picking up the Brotherhood of The Wolf Canadian edition for $19.99 at my local Newbury Comics, or getting UHF, Kingpin, and Princess Bride all for $20 at Best Buy.
Old 04-04-03, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

price matched LOTR EE for $24.99 at Best Buy (was $29.99) with a Target Ad. Guy at customer service made a copy of the ad and gave the ad back to me. So I walk over to a guy who was purchasing the same and gave him the ad to price match. I am just too nice!
Old 04-04-03, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I was browsing Amazon's UK site and picked up the Battle Royale SE 2 disc set for $18(11pounds) and some change shipped. They shot me an e-mail that said that the price was incorrect and it should of been something like $43(25pounds) but they will honor the price mistake.

Last edited by mrhan; 04-04-03 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-04-03, 12:09 PM

Me, having a CH Canada account with 3 commitments left (took the 1st one on the enrolment)...then ordering two 19,95 titles as commitments (Jacob's Ladder and Hamburger Hill)...

...calling them to know if it was shipped and to check if they set them as commitmnet (instead of sale) and asking if I still just have one commitment left...

..and the CSR told me "No, that order compleated your commitments, you can now benefit of the *dollars!"

cool...Inow can cancell that one...and get some more for cheap...
Old 04-04-03, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by gutwrencher
won a friends meager collection of 58 dvds on a poker bet. a grown man sobbing like a twist is pathetic.
Out of curiosity, what did you have on the table?
Old 04-04-03, 12:30 PM

My best purchase story would probably have to be buying Brazil:CC from DDD and not liking it then selling it on Ebay for a profit!
Old 04-04-03, 02:42 PM
Banned

Ordering Disney's Beauty & the Beast for $0.00 at Amazon and then getting it a year later.
Old 04-04-03, 04:03 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
I ordered a boxed set a couple of years ago from an etailer after someone posted a misprice on it here on DVD Talk. The company sent me an e-mail saying that the price was a mistake and would I like to still order it at the full price or cancel my order. I replied "Cancel my order" and thought "Oh well, it was worth a shot."

A week later, the boxed set shows up. I was not charged for it at all. Being the good citizen that I am, before I opened it I called the company to find out what happened (just in case I would be charged for it and it just hadn't hit my Visa statement yet) and the CSR said that I was not charged, and since the order was cancelled she had no way to send me an RMA to return the box, so I may as well just keep it.

Apparently they cancelled the order but forgot to not ship it - it was a computer problem on their end.

Free discs, and a clear conscience.

Also please note that I've ordered many discs from this company since then, and while they've never SNAFUed any of my other orders, I've thought fondly of them since that transaction and give them much business.

-- Jough
Old 04-04-03, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
I was one of the nerds who went to get Episode II at midnight at Wal-Mart. I mostly did it because I wanted to mak sure I could price match the $9.99 Toys R Us ad. After I matched, the guy behind me said "Can I have that." I handed it to him, and I'm sure it was just passed back through the line, costing Wal-Mart five bucks off each purchase.
Old 04-04-03, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

CH 5 for $24.95
Old 04-04-03, 05:25 PM

Originally posted by Gunshy
Whelp, mine would have to be picking up a brand new still sealed copy of the Godfather Trilogy in a used bin at a record store for $44.99. I have no idea why it was in the used bin as it's perfect, widescreen, still got the original sticker. And I'm one of the .01% of the population that has never seen these films so the purchase was pre-ordained. I think I will sit down and watch them all on my upcoming vacation
I usually don't succumb to one-upmanship, but here it is:

I get a lot of my stuff from:
a) a local insurance salvage shop that buys up a lot of Costco returns, and
b) a local cd shop that recently started selling used DVDs. They're banished to a back corner, so most people aren't aware of them.

Anywho, the insurance salvage place tells me they just got in Band of Brothers on DVD, but they need to watch it to be sure it's not defective (all sales are final). I go in every day for two weeks asking if it has come back (they won't hold anything) and eventually I'm told "oh, sorry, it was VHS". Grrrrr! So I go over to the DVD cabinet and there is the Godfather set, still in its Costco plastic, for $35. No kidding.

On the same day i go to the aforementioned CD shop and there on the shelf in all its glory is a sealed Band of Brothers set for $42.

One of the greatest days of my life....
Old 04-04-03, 05:29 PM
Suspended

Went to block buster. checking out the PS1 played/new section, spotted a brand new FFX copy w/ $14.99 price tag. Check out, cashier ringed up $49.99, its original price, I bitched to the manager. Manager got pissed at the cashier and gave evil glare to all the employees, then told the cashier to ring up the $14.99. Sweet. Then I got a parking ticket the next day which cost me $35. @#$% karma.
Old 04-04-03, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
FuzzyBallz,

LOL. You should have given Karma a run for her money by writing to the Court, a nice explanatory note. I do. saves me $$$ every year.
Old 04-04-03, 06:23 PM

Mine would have to be, going to Best Buy making them price match the South Park Season One boxed set for $9.99, getting 3 of them then passing it down the line to 3 of my buddies who were also getting 3 a piece for christmas gifts.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.