DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Best DVD Purchasing Story

RyoHazuki
04-03-03, 09:18 PM
Whats the best dvd story you've got?

Goat3001
04-03-03, 09:21 PM
Heres a crazy/unlikely story:

I went to Best Buy a few months ago. Went right to the DVD section, picked up what I wanted and checked out. All in 10 minutes and best buy DIDN"T HASSLE ME -eek-

TomOpus
04-03-03, 09:35 PM
A month or so after "Criterion Tati Gone OOP" panic swept the country, I walked into a Wherehouse and there were 2 of 'em still sitting in the bin waiting for me.

reubs82
04-03-03, 10:45 PM
I never get harassed at Best Buy unless I pick up a strategy guide to look through it. Then it's BAM! Someone's bummin' off of our merchandise! As for best DVD experience...the other day at CC when I wandered aimlessly looking for WSS, and a sales rep politely helped me and completely understood when I told her I was broke. CC her in town is great. Best Buy is awful.

gutwrencher
04-03-03, 10:54 PM
won a friends meager collection of 58 dvds on a poker bet. a grown man sobbing like a twist is pathetic.http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/whinging.gif

SCHMEGGA
04-04-03, 12:39 AM
I walked inot the grand re-opening of my local used/new place in February and on the shelf in the kids section were Lady and the Tramp, Mulan, 101 Dalmations, Little Mermaid, and Pinnochio all in great condition. Got them for a steal.

Tscott
04-04-03, 01:45 AM
I once sat down at my computer, found a dvd I wanted, clicked on it and waited. Two days later it arrived on my doorstep. Incredible!

SlangNRocks
04-04-03, 02:18 AM
Going to the store and buying the oop little shop of horrors. Thanks to the people who posted that it was showing up along with the reissued one at some stores.

DeadLamb
04-04-03, 03:44 AM
1. Any time I find an OOP disk I want to own at the local used place for cheap. I don't resell disks so I am just happy to get the film. For example Demon KNight or Dawn of the Dead... for $12 each.

2. The Toy's R Us sale of StarWars Attack of the Clones for $9.99. Not for the deal but because I walked in and I'm looking around or a wide screen version and they have one left. Then the person who walked in 20 sec behind me gets told "He got the last one"

A fav story being I was the lucky guy getting the last disk and not my normal "DOH they are all out!?!!? damn" thing that happens for most super sale items. :)

Gunshy
04-04-03, 05:22 AM
Whelp, mine would have to be picking up a brand new still sealed copy of the Godfather Trilogy in a used bin at a record store for $44.99. I have no idea why it was in the used bin as it's perfect, widescreen, still got the original sticker. And I'm one of the .01% of the population that has never seen these films so the purchase was pre-ordained. I think I will sit down and watch them all on my upcoming vacation :)

-Gunshy

Michael Corvin
04-04-03, 07:46 AM
My best story is getting the first season of the X-files for around $7 new, "back in the day" on the forum. Kinda fuzzy on all the details but it was around $110 pre-order on cdnow. Used a 30% off coupon to drop it to $77. Used a $50 test drive gift card(got for free), drops to $27. Used brandsforless to get another $25 back along with ****** for another $5 or so. So what it ended up being was around $3 + shipping.

ahh, the good old days.

Season 2: around $30
Season 3: around $45
Season 4 and up: around $70 :down:

PalmerJoss
04-04-03, 11:16 AM
Mine would probably be either picking up the Brotherhood of The Wolf Canadian edition for $19.99 at my local Newbury Comics, or getting UHF, Kingpin, and Princess Bride all for $20 at Best Buy.

myrdh
04-04-03, 11:19 AM
price matched LOTR EE for $24.99 at Best Buy (was $29.99) with a Target Ad. Guy at customer service made a copy of the ad and gave the ad back to me. So I walk over to a guy who was purchasing the same and gave him the ad to price match. I am just too nice!

mrhan
04-04-03, 11:52 AM
I was browsing Amazon's UK site and picked up the Battle Royale SE 2 disc set for $18(11pounds) and some change shipped. They shot me an e-mail that said that the price was incorrect and it should of been something like $43(25pounds) but they will honor the price mistake.

Tha Freak
04-04-03, 12:09 PM
Me, having a CH Canada account with 3 commitments left (took the 1st one on the enrolment)...then ordering two 19,95 titles as commitments (Jacob's Ladder and Hamburger Hill)...

...calling them to know if it was shipped and to check if they set them as commitmnet (instead of sale) and asking if I still just have one commitment left...

..and the CSR told me "No, that order compleated your commitments, you can now benefit of the *dollars!"

cool...Inow can cancell that one...and get some more for cheap...

Heat
04-04-03, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by gutwrencher
won a friends meager collection of 58 dvds on a poker bet. a grown man sobbing like a twist is pathetic.http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/whinging.gif Out of curiosity, what did you have on the table?

pagos77
04-04-03, 12:30 PM
My best purchase story would probably have to be buying Brazil:CC from DDD and not liking it then selling it on Ebay for a profit!

lesterlong
04-04-03, 02:42 PM
Ordering Disney's Beauty & the Beast for $0.00 at Amazon and then getting it a year later.

jough
04-04-03, 04:03 PM
I ordered a boxed set a couple of years ago from an etailer after someone posted a misprice on it here on DVD Talk. The company sent me an e-mail saying that the price was a mistake and would I like to still order it at the full price or cancel my order. I replied "Cancel my order" and thought "Oh well, it was worth a shot."

A week later, the boxed set shows up. I was not charged for it at all. Being the good citizen that I am, before I opened it I called the company to find out what happened (just in case I would be charged for it and it just hadn't hit my Visa statement yet) and the CSR said that I was not charged, and since the order was cancelled she had no way to send me an RMA to return the box, so I may as well just keep it.

Apparently they cancelled the order but forgot to not ship it - it was a computer problem on their end.

Free discs, and a clear conscience.

Also please note that I've ordered many discs from this company since then, and while they've never SNAFUed any of my other orders, I've thought fondly of them since that transaction and give them much business.

-- Jough

majorjoe23
04-04-03, 04:42 PM
I was one of the nerds who went to get Episode II at midnight at Wal-Mart. I mostly did it because I wanted to mak sure I could price match the $9.99 Toys R Us ad. After I matched, the guy behind me said "Can I have that." I handed it to him, and I'm sure it was just passed back through the line, costing Wal-Mart five bucks off each purchase.

Aphex Twin
04-04-03, 05:13 PM
CH 5 for $24.95

ghlbtsk
04-04-03, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Gunshy
Whelp, mine would have to be picking up a brand new still sealed copy of the Godfather Trilogy in a used bin at a record store for $44.99. I have no idea why it was in the used bin as it's perfect, widescreen, still got the original sticker. And I'm one of the .01% of the population that has never seen these films so the purchase was pre-ordained. I think I will sit down and watch them all on my upcoming vacation :)

I usually don't succumb to one-upmanship, but here it is:

I get a lot of my stuff from:
a) a local insurance salvage shop that buys up a lot of Costco returns, and
b) a local cd shop that recently started selling used DVDs. They're banished to a back corner, so most people aren't aware of them.

Anywho, the insurance salvage place tells me they just got in Band of Brothers on DVD, but they need to watch it to be sure it's not defective (all sales are final). I go in every day for two weeks asking if it has come back (they won't hold anything) and eventually I'm told "oh, sorry, it was VHS". Grrrrr! So I go over to the DVD cabinet and there is the Godfather set, still in its Costco plastic, for $35. No kidding.

On the same day i go to the aforementioned CD shop and there on the shelf in all its glory is a sealed Band of Brothers set for $42.

One of the greatest days of my life....

FuzzyBallz
04-04-03, 05:29 PM
Went to block buster. checking out the PS1 played/new section, spotted a brand new FFX copy w/ $14.99 price tag. Check out, cashier ringed up $49.99, its original price, I bitched to the manager. Manager got pissed at the cashier and gave evil glare to all the employees, then told the cashier to ring up the $14.99. Sweet. Then I got a parking ticket the next day which cost me $35. @#$% karma.

DVD Polizei
04-04-03, 05:42 PM
FuzzyBallz,

LOL. You should have given Karma a run for her money by writing to the Court, a nice explanatory note. I do. saves me $$$ every year. :D

Mickey
04-04-03, 06:23 PM
Mine would have to be, going to Best Buy making them price match the South Park Season One boxed set for $9.99, getting 3 of them then passing it down the line to 3 of my buddies who were also getting 3 a piece for christmas gifts.

gutwrencher
04-04-03, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Heat
Out of curiosity, what did you have on the table?

sorry for the delay....just done with work. a simple full house beat his nothing. he just got a little smashed and demanded to play though his mind was fogged and got spanked. a personal bet within a running game.....what a maroon. I had a sealed Evil Dead 2 Tin and a bag of northern emerald triangle skunk in my offer. figure I had to make it fair-wink-.http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/smokin.gif

Electric2k
04-04-03, 09:05 PM
I had better ones back in the wonderful days of plentiful coupons, but my current story is this.

I bought 'The Last Temptation of Christ' Criterion at Best Buy for $17.99 Sunday. They had TWO copies marked at this price, but it rang up at the low low price of $37.99.

Quake1028
04-04-03, 09:31 PM
Gut-You didn't really keep the poor guy's dvd's, did you?

milo bloom
04-04-03, 10:56 PM
Just earlier this evening I was checking the local pawn shop for discs, and picked out Romeo+Juliet for $9.99. I had the clerk set it by the register while I shopped some more. When I went to check out, it was a different clerk and he asked if it was from the 9.99 section or the 5.99 section as they weren't marked. I thought for a second cause I had actually forgotten, and briefly considered lying, but the Jedi Knight in me won out and I said "I think it was 9.99." He goes, "cool, for being honest I'll give it to you for 5.99" And he did. I paid and said "Bless you sir"

It feels good to tell the truth, thank you Sesame Street and Mr Rogers; RIP.

gutwrencher
04-05-03, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Quake1028
Gut-You didn't really keep the poor guy's dvd's, did you?

hell no...I'm not that big of a jerk. but he ended up giving me 6 that I didnt have. he's not a big dvd/film freak like we here on the boards but at least he was sober when he gave them to me-wink-. turns out he hasnt had a desire to drink since those 3 years ago which is a big plus.

Machinegunrap
04-05-03, 04:02 PM
My favorite story has to be when I got Rushmore: Criterion for $13. I got a pre-viewed copy from Hollywood video that was marked for $15. Then, one of my friends got me a discount because he worked there. Beautiful.

docF94
04-05-03, 07:21 PM
Perhaps not the best, but the most recent -

I went into a couple used/new record stores down the street from me last night and in the second, after I'd basically resigned myself to not finding much (though considered going back to the first store to pay too much for Koyanisqatsi), my eyes fell onto a used copy of Criterion's Time Bandits for $11 and change.

I've been waiting on Time Bandits for a long time, watching prices online, which was wonderful, particularly since I really hadn't expected to find anything.

Poka.

Londo
04-05-03, 08:24 PM
just today... made my semi-weekly Pawn Shop run..

Picked up ST:TNG sets 1,2,3,4,5,6 AND 7...

for $20 each.

Deckard-10
04-05-03, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Londo
just today... made my semi-weekly Pawn Shop run..

Picked up ST:TNG sets 1,2,3,4,5,6 AND 7...

for $20 each.
:eek: The entire series for the price of one season! Wow!

STEVEIGNORANT
04-06-03, 01:15 AM
My best was tonight. Picked up:

2 sealed copies of SOTL Criterion for 16.99 each
2 sealed copies of Fargo 16.99 each
Live And Let Die Sealed 24.99
101 Dalmations Limited Issue Sealed 24.99

Yaaaaay!

bcd
04-06-03, 01:33 AM
Six feet Under for $25 was pretty good, Directors Edition Red Dragon $14.99 b&m, not too bad either.

Teknomaagi
04-06-03, 01:46 AM
Buying 3x Clint Eastwood Collection DVD's (Sealed) for 3/each due double discount. They were normally some 9 before the sale and ment to be sold for 6 but they accidentally cut the price two times so, paid 3 for those :)

Thought to run back the store and pick some other DVD's as well but i was feeling lazy that day (nothing so exciting were on sale afterall).

aam
04-06-03, 10:22 AM
I went to Blockbuster and found the Robocop trilogy for 6.99. It was as new as no one would rent all 3 when they were available separately. I was concerned about the branching as it isn't seamless on the 1st film. Turns out it only happens twice and it's like the layer change, which the criterion probably has.

And I got two free beermats!

smegger2000
04-06-03, 01:52 PM
Finding 4 copies of the Giant DVD that was only released in Canada for a short period for $20 Cdn each.

Finding 6 copies of Tomorrow Never Dies with Silver Packaging for $16.00 Cdn each

Finding a 1st printing of Devil's Advocate at a Pawn Shop for $16.00 Cdn.

DumDum
04-06-03, 06:45 PM
The Insider at Amazon for shipping costs.
Brazil:CC at Borders.com for around 20.00
Gotta love those pricing errors :D

The best luck I ever had was when I found a used copy of Salo at an out of town pawn shop for 25.00. Then going back about 2 months later and finding a copy of The Killer for the same price.

insanecollector
04-06-03, 09:04 PM
Oh, I also got 400 Blows, Killer, and This is Spinal Tap Criterion editions for $33 dollars total after they were out of print at a used dvd shop in A,Tx.

jk4w
04-07-03, 01:51 AM
I bought The History of Beavis & Buthead at Best Buy for $19.99 & sold it on Ebay for $250.

malkmuz
04-07-03, 09:45 AM
this is spinal tap: cc and scarface at a used cd shop for $17 a pop. i haven't found anything recently though, perhaps beginners luck?

bshassel
04-07-03, 12:25 PM
Couple good memories.....
Anyone remember Freeride? Boy I miss those coupons...
Anyway,
I bought the OOP Marx Brothers Image box set for $24 and sold it for $100.
Bought OOP Secret Life of Walter Mitty for $20 and sold it for $100.
But my favorite memory was when the Criterion Tati's went OOP and I still didn't have Playtime, I was able to find it a month later at Borders as well as an extra copy of M. Hulot's Holiday. Bought for $20 each. Kept Playtime but sold my extra copy of Hulot's Holiday for $165! Not too bad.

Hiro11
04-07-03, 03:37 PM
It's not particularly interesting or difficult to replicate like some of the stories here, but I love Costco. They always have great deals. For example:

Futurama Volume 1 for 24.99
LOTR:FOTR EE for 19.99
The Complete Monty Python Flying Circus Boxed Set for 99.00
Hundreds of new movies for 9.99-11.99

I love the place.

Gdrlv
04-07-03, 04:35 PM
I found South Park Volumes 1 through 3 and 4 through 6 at Best Buy for $14.99 each on the day I bought my player. The store accidentally priced the three packs as single DVDs.