Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Phone Booth-what's the buzz?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-03, 06:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen the trailer and commercials for this flick,and it LOOKS pretty good. I mean,it has an interesting
premise,the cast is top-notch,etc. But, it has one big drawback:it was directed by that hack who made Batman & Robin,which is easily one of the worst movies ever made.
So, I'm wondering what the early buzz is on this movie,and is it really possibly a suspenseful movie can be made where most of the movie (I assume) takes place at and around a phonebooth??
Old 04-03-03, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just saw a preview last night and loved it. The premise is great and the performances are superb. I see some might be put off by the static location, everything staying in one place and all, but the movie does move along at a breakneck pace and is right under 90 minutes, the appropriate lenght for a movie of this type. Also, remember that Schumacher has done good films before the horrible Batman and Robin and this is one of his best, a lean thriller that had everyone in the audience involved right from the beginning(although everyone snickered at the thought of one phone booth in the city-but it is explained).
Although the ending might throw some off the performances from Farrell to Sutherland are great, especially Sutherland who throws himself fully into the role of the sniper.
Old 04-03-03, 08:07 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
This one has me hooked - I'll be seeing this one for sure.
Old 04-03-03, 08:59 AM

This looks like an interesting movie, it looks like it's going to be entertaining.
Old 04-03-03, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by Geofferson
This one has me hooked - I'll be seeing this one for sure.
My thoughts exactly. I have been wanting to see since I heard about it last year, but it was delayed due to the D.C. sniper shootings. I like Colin Farrell a lot, and the rest of the cast looks superb, too - Kiefer Sutherland, Forest Whitaker, Katie Holmes. Schumacher isn't that bad, he's just hit-and-miss like so many other directors.
Old 04-03-03, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
When I first saw the trailer last summer (when they still were planning on a fall opening) it was just about the only trailer that intrigued me .... and I saw reference to the location - apparently it takes place about a block from my apartment!

Can't wait!
Old 04-03-03, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Phone Booth-what's the buzz?

Originally posted by keith71
But, it has one big drawback:it was directed by that hack who made Batman & Robin,which is easily one of the worst movies ever made.
You have to keep in mind Joel Schumacher has made some decent movies. Tigerland, Falling Down, The Client, Lost Boys etc. I'd hardly call him a hack.
Old 04-03-03, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you count all the misses some directors have compared to their hits, everyone would be a hack. Movie takes place on 53rd and 8th Marty, although it looks like an LA street.
Old 04-03-03, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by harosa
Movie takes place on 53rd and 8th Marty, although it looks like an LA street.

....and I LIVE at 53rd & 8th ....
Old 04-03-03, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll be seeing this, I havn't seen Tigerland, but I can't say I'm fond of any of the Schumacher films that I have seen. But this one looks superb.
Old 04-03-03, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
well, tigerland was schumacher + farrell... and it was good.

i've been waiting for this movie since i saw the preview MONTHS ago, before they delayed it (and of course, the delay made perfect sense, in light of the events at that time).
Old 04-03-03, 02:43 PM

Gonna leave work early to see this tomorrow. Have been waiting since long before the initial 11/17 release date.
Old 04-03-03, 05:00 PM

BTW, just wanted to let you guys know this movie is getting great reviews. http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/PhoneBooth-1110953/
Old 04-03-03, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i wanted to see this the first time i saw the preview. after reading those reviews i AM DEFINTELY GONNA SEE THIS ASAP!

cant wait!
Old 04-04-03, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been waiting to see this movie for almost two years now. I cannot wait!
Old 04-04-03, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No reason there can't be a packed DVD of this! It's short! Lots of space to fill!

DTS... the original short film... ooh, possibilities. Let the DVD rumours BEGIN!
Old 04-04-03, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Liberty Stands Still- Wesley Snipes & Linda Fiorentino.

similar premise. I like Colin and would like to see what they do with their "phone booth" version of this sleeper flick.
Old 04-04-03, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I loved Colin Farrell's comments on Conan:

When talking about Michael Bay at one point being interesting in the project "He wanted to know how long it would be before he could get the guy out of the phone booth."
Old 04-04-03, 10:32 PM

Originally posted by clemente
I loved Colin Farrell's comments on Conan:

When talking about Michael Bay at one point being interesting in the project "He wanted to know how long it would be before he could get the guy out of the phone booth."
Actually I think he said that one The Daily Show, but whatever.

I got back from seeing this a while ago and I really liked it. I agree with everything said in the positive reviews. It was intense, smart, and they did a great job of keeping it logical. Just when a question would come to mind, they would explain it. A few reviews mentioned some plot holes, but I have yet to think of them. This is definately one I will be buying on DVD.
Old 04-05-03, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I loved this movie. I think it was very taut, well written and superbly acted. Keifer Sutherland is really great and Colin Farrell is amazing as usual. I had reservations about this movie, based on Schumachers track record, but I had a feeling he was heading back to basics with this flick and he really delivered. He has restored my faith in him.

I will certainly be buying this movie and I'll be seeing it again as soon as possible... GO SEE IT!!!!

MATT
Old 04-05-03, 12:47 AM
Banned

I saw this, I really liked it, I don't think it met what all the hype was about, but the acting is excellent, the camerawork is good, and overall it's very entertaining.

A couple facts:

This movie has been shelved actually for about 2 years. It was made right after Tigerland (2000), shelved cause they knew Farrell was hot and rising so they could release it later for more money, then shelved again for a few months after last fall's sniper shootings.

The movie was shot on digital film in 9 days (likely due to location restraints)

The movie is only 1:15 running time (timed it cause I knew by the premise it had to be relatively short)...

I think even with that short running time it kind of seemed long (it makes sense, if 85% of the movie takes place in the booth, it can drag)...don't get me wrong, it's a great movie, but I think the middle dragged a bit and with some work it could have even been even better....I think the movie makes a better short film concept than a feature film, but I still applaud its effort...it's the execution I'm not so sure about....still a B+/A-

Definitely go see it. The acting is superb.

And if you thought Kiefer Sutherland was a sick mofo in this one, you HAVE to see "Freeway" with him and a rising star back then, Reese Weatherspoon. This movie can be bought at most Walmart's for 5.88...GET IT.

Last edited by UKingdom; 04-05-03 at 12:49 AM.
Old 04-05-03, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i just saw it - very good!

i had HUGE EXPECTATIONS so it didnt meet those but i still enjoyed it.

im not surprised it was so short but hey, its in a phone booth...how long can it last? (it doesnt seem that short though...)

very smart and suspensful movie. great ending...
Old 04-05-03, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

just saw it as well. i didn't really like the ending as it got a bit melodramatic but the movie was fun and had some nice moments. colin farrell was very good and kiefer's voice is the perfect choice. the people i saw it with all HATED the movie and thought it sucked. i was the only one out of a group of 6 that enjoyed it.
Old 04-05-03, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I kinda want to see it, but I'm put off a bit by Keifer Sutherland's voice as the sniper. I can't really take him seriously.
Old 04-05-03, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could someone spoil this for me? I was just wondering if he has a cellphone in his pocket, why would he need to go to a phone booth?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.