Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Opinion wanted -- Hunted: The Reckoning vs. Gauntlet Legacy

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-03, 08:00 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinion wanted -- Hunted: The Reckoning vs. Gauntlet Legacy

These games look someone similar. Has anyone played both and have an opinion on which is better? Game reviewers give Hunted a somewhat better score. Gauntlet is pretty panned. I'm looking for a four-player co-op game, so the quality of four-player mode is important.
Old 04-02-03, 08:16 PM

I never played Hunter but I really enjoyed Gauntlet. For me it offered pretty decent replay value and seemed like a great multiplayer game, even though I've only played it in 2-player.
Old 04-02-03, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought Hunter was pretty "blah", while Gauntlet was awesome. I spent weeks playing through Gauntlet with three friends, and we had a blast. Tried Hunter for a while, but it was no fun, and the camera was absolutely horrible. Not to mention our fingers fell off from having to shoot so much.......
Old 04-02-03, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I played both with multiple people at a friends house on the X-Box. I preferred Gauntlet. Hunter was pretty plain and boring.
Old 04-02-03, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Haven't played Gauntlet. Haven't played Hunter multiplayer, but single player is pretty fun at least the first time through. Second time through, the first few levels are a little monotonous. It gets better once you get into the prison again.
Old 04-02-03, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance is better than those two combined.
Old 04-02-03, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by MrKen
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance is better than those two combined.
I agree, but don't think you can play 4 player, like the original poster stated he wanted.

Baldur's Gate was cool and I only got to play it through in single player.
Old 04-02-03, 10:40 PM

Hunter blows big time. Terrible op upand control. Camera is annoying. Veyr little variety and terribly planned mission objectives. Repetitive.

Gauntlet was much more fun, non repetitive and I thought the graphics and variety was much more impressive.
Old 04-03-03, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
My opinion - Hunter was okay - it was fun to play multiplayer and kinda brought back the feeling that I missed from playing the old Gauntlet arcade games...

Gauntlet Legends was total crap IMO.

Not that this helps... as I'm just noticing that Tigger felt the complete opposite.
Old 04-03-03, 01:14 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
I have Gauntlet, found it for 19.99 at a Sam Goody, but haven't opened it yet. I was planning on returning it (I have way too many games and not enough time), but maybe I'll keep it for the rare times that I have more than 2 people over to game. The website reviews are pretty bad for it if I recall.

I have Hunter for the GCN, and really enjoy it in multiplayer mode. Yes, the camera can be annoying, and it takes way too many hits to kill most monsters, but it was still fun.

And I have absolutely fallen in love with Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance. I finished it on easy the other day, and am now getting close to finishing on medium. Might have to play it a third time on hard with the Dwarf character, which I haven't tried yet. I tried to play this multiplayer once, and got a weird bug. The screen would go totally blank, except for text. We could still move around and all our buttons worked, but a blank screen.....

Are there any games similar to BGA on the Xbox or GCN?
Old 04-03-03, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Keep a lookout for a game coming up called Dungeons and Dragons: Heroes. It's coming out for all three systems and looks very similar to BG: DA, with 4-player coop play. It also looks to be more closely based on the third edition D&D rules.

I am very much looking forward to this one, as I am a huge fan of BG: DA

To be more on topic, I have not played Hunter or Gauntlet.

stoolie
Old 04-03-03, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There's also a sequel to Dark Alliance on the way too.
Old 04-03-03, 08:58 AM
Banned

Thanks for all the replies. Maybe I should consider passing on both.

Does anyone know anything about Deathrow? I know it's nothing like the other two games, but it is multi-player and most reviews have been rather high.
Old 04-03-03, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts
I played the demo of Deathrow and while it was interesting, it was not something I would want to buy.

I never played Gauntlet but I did own Hunter. I had 3 other friends come over to play one day. They all (including me) hated it. It was just too repetitive and dull. I traded it without even wanting to finish the game (even by myself). Once again betrayed by reviews.
Old 04-03-03, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I play Gauntlet maybe once or twice a month. Five hour sessions at least. I love it. Such a great game. Although, some might say repetitive, some of unfolding levels are jaw-dropping on how creative they are.

Multiplayer definitely. It's definitely one of my favorites.
Old 04-03-03, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 189 Likes on 162 Posts
I'm still more partial to Gauntlet: DL, especially with 4 players. But, the difficulty level has been toned way down from the arcade version, I wish there would've been a more diffcult setting than "Hard".
Old 04-03-03, 01:20 PM

Trigger, lets just say that I have a different perspective from my own experience with Hunter, than almost everyone else. Not Synical, just have some really big issues with the title. It's
way below expectations in my book. Gauntlet, well Gauntlet is Gauntlet, even in poor shape it still gives me enjoyment much more then Hunter.
Old 04-03-03, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Gromit
There's also a sequel to Dark Alliance on the way too.
Can you give me a link or a source for this information?

Thanks!

stoolie
Old 04-14-03, 12:04 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
I finally opened up my Xbox Gauntlet last night.

Awesome multiplayer game! My friend and I played for like 8 hours straight, and feel like we're just starting to get the full flavor of the game. I definitely prefer this over Hunter, although I'm still glad I bought both (considering the prices of $20 and $10). I'd have that say that Gauntlet would be worth the purchase even if it was full price (which I have never paid).