Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Any thoughts on Dynasty Warriors 4 yet?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-03, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any thoughts on Dynasty Warriors 4 yet?

My local Target was sold out. Is this game worth picking up? I really liked the earlier versions, but is there enough of a differance to justify buying the newest version?
Old 03-30-03, 10:47 PM

I bought it 3 days ago ...
did have much to play alot but
so far... good but I am kinda disappointed...

reason 1 - STILL!! during the game play, frame dips welllllllllll below 30 and pop ups!!. I find that very frustrating, but overall game is smooth and little better then DW3 ( graphic-wise )

reason 2 - character's were not changed alot ... pretty much same compare to DW3 ... but again didnt play much so I didnt get to equip the higer level weapons and orb .. etc..
but basic moves are pretty much same....

reason 3 - dont count on editing mode ... very weak ... you only get very limited body parts ... no matter what you do ... its pretty much same.. and you dont get new ones...

good stuffs ...

reason 1 - mush better AI.... they actually chase you ...and they are tough to beat

reason 2 - maps are huge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E.X hu lao gate is about 3 -4 times bigger then DW2&3... very interesting levels too !!

reason 3 - fast loading ... no more waiting ...

reason 4 - every character comes with 6(?) customes... very cool to see your generals with differnet clothes...

overall ..... i am still glad i got it becuase I am a hardcore ROTK fan ... but some of you might be better with DW3 ...

BUT!! i only played 3-4 hours ... my opinion might change when I get more stuff orb, items and such !!

thats all i can say so far ...

any questions ... leave me a replie ...i'll be glad to answer questions ...
Old 03-30-03, 10:52 PM
Banned

Isn't this just a buttom masher? My friends kept on trying to show me how this game involves any skill at all, but I just never saw it. I'm not trying to thread crap, I would just like someone to explain to me what kind of skill is needed for this game.
Old 03-30-03, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by nowt101

reason 1 - STILL!! during the game play, frame dips welllllllllll below 30 and pop ups!!. I find that very frustrating, but overall game is smooth and little better then DW3 ( graphic-wise )

reason 2 - character's were not changed alot ... pretty much same compare to DW3 ... but again didnt play much so I didnt get to equip the higer level weapons and orb .. etc..

reason 3 - dont count on editing mode ... very weak ... you only get very limited body parts ... no matter what you do ... its pretty much same.. and you dont get new ones...

good stuffs ...

reason 1 - mush better AI.... they actually chase you ...and they are tough to beat

reason 2 - maps are huge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E.X hu lao gate is about 3 -4 times bigger then DW2&3... very interesting levels too !!

reason 3 - fast loading ... no more waiting ...

reason 4 - every character comes with 6(?) customes... very cool to see your generals with differnet clothes...

overall ..... i am still glad i got it becuase I am a hardcore ROTK fan ... but some of you might be better with DW3 ...

BUT!! i only played 3-4 hours ... my opinion might change when I get more stuff orb, items and such !!

thats all i can say so far ...

any questions ... leave me a replie ...i'll be glad to answer questions ...
Have you had to deal with the supposed siege weapons in the game yet?
Old 03-30-03, 11:37 PM

siege weapon??? I've saw siege weapon in the gameplay but it belong to ally so ... i didnt have to deal with it ...

altho in the beginning stage, there is a hugh fan that you need to destory .... but i dont consider that as a siege weapon ........ so maybe tomorrow ....^^

skill...???

well compare to last DW, it requires more skills... because in DW4, your weapon is based on exp. you have to pull combos to gain more exp on your weapon, if you do basic moves whole through the game, then you will not go far. Your attack depends heavily on you weapon.

and there are some stratagy involved.... you have to decide on your route, or else top general might die and just end the game (this happened to me few times already ... be sure to save the game between ^^)

but to do a combo ... and catch on the good combo system ... you really need skills.... but again ... if you are not playing DW4, like your friend, you'll never understand and think that DW is a button mashing game
Old 03-31-03, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

People can argue that there is skill involved, and even in DW3, there was some skill and some strategy involved. Executing different attacks and deciding where to attack was kind of important. There are a few times when it is important to assist a weak general so you don't get swamped by enemy forces later on. However, at the heart of the game, it is a button masher. That in mind, if you love playing with a friend or a sibling, it is one of the best two player cooperative games available. I loved DW3, and I strongly suspect DW4 will be very enjoyable as well. Just don't go into the game expecting too much.
Old 03-31-03, 02:34 AM

Originally posted by joshd2012
Isn't this just a buttom masher? My friends kept on trying to show me how this game involves any skill at all, but I just never saw it. I'm not trying to thread crap, I would just like someone to explain to me what kind of skill is needed for this game.
Play it in hard mode, then see if you still have to ask that question .

Horrible horrible thing about DW4, it is english dubbed and the voices and acting are crap.

I actually found it to be a lot easier than DW3. I played one of the stages with the hardest rating, on Hard mode and I passed it first try no problems.
Old 03-31-03, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 190 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally posted by joshd2012
For a good challenge, try playing as Zhuge Liang at Wu Zhang Plains on hard. When all your generals will die within 10 minutes and enemy AI at highest difficulty, you will find out real soon that you do need skills to survive this one... It will take more than button mashing to defeat simultaneous attacks from 3-4 generals with no backups at all.
Old 03-31-03, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by menaz
Horrible horrible thing about DW4, it is english dubbed and the voices and acting are crap.
Nooooooooooo

DW3's dubbing sucked ass, but at least you have the ability to switch over to Japanese with subtitles. So are you stuck with the dubs in DW4 with no options to change it?
Old 03-31-03, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by nowt101

Since you only played for 3-4 hours, the editing mode will be useless. You will only get new parts and new weapons AFTER you unlock the generals that uses them and finish Mosou mode with them. In other words, you will not get full utilization of the edit mode until you have unlocked every single characters, finish Mosou with each one, and pick up all the available weapons...

PAL
Old 03-31-03, 11:19 AM

IMHO, DW4 is worth picking up especially if you like the previous DW series.

The game's not perfect:
* there's some slow-down
*The edit mode is quite limitied (I've only finished guan yu though so there're lots of unlocking to be done)
*no Fu Xi or Nu Wa...though they can be created in the edit mode.
*the characters seems smaller on 2p mode (anyone notice this?)
*almost forgot...the dubbing SUCKS

BUT:
*the AI's are smarter
*You have to gain weapon exp. through combo to upgrade your weapon (not that easy when you're surrounded by aggresive enemies and on hard).
*more maps than DW3 & larger too. There're secret areas (events?) but I haven't figured out how to get them yet.
*Duel mode. Enemy general can challange you 1-on-1. (anyone know how to challange enemy's generals?)
*more variety on the challange mode (knock enemy off of the bridge, demolition, etc).

I haven't encounter any siege engine so can't say anything about that.

for me, it's definately worth it.
target has it for $37.xx this week
here

Last edited by kuyax; 03-31-03 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-31-03, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by ~~ PAL ~~
Nooooooooooo

DW3's dubbing sucked ass, but at least you have the ability to switch over to Japanese with subtitles. So are you stuck with the dubs in DW4 with no options to change it?
Nope, no way to switch to Japanese. Youre stuck with english dub.