Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Bio movies you want to see

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-30-03, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There have been some awesome bio movies in the past, and Auto Focus, Man on the Moon, and Confessions of a Dangerous Mind are recent additions to the genre that I found really good.

There are some actors I who I think would be interesting as a bio movie. Jack Nance is one especially I think would make for an interesting movie. I just saw the I Don't Know Jack documentary and feel that his life would make for one of the most interesting bio movies if done right.

Who would you like to see in a bio movie?
Old 03-30-03, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roscoe 'Fatty' Arbuckle
From the imdb:
Roscoe, one of nine children, was the baby of the family who weighed a reported 16 pounds at birth. Born in Smith Center, Kansas, his family moved to California when he was a year old. At 8, he would appear on the stage. His first part was that of a picaninny kid with the Webster-Brown Stock Company. From then until 1913, Roscoe was on the stage performing everything from acrobatic acts, to clown, to singer. His first real professional engagement was in 1904, singing illustrated songs for Sid Grauman at the Unique theater, San Jose, at $17.50 a week. He would later work in the Morosco Burbank stock company and travel through China and Japan with Ferris Hartman. His last appearance on the stage was with Hartman in Yokahama in 1913 where Roscoe played the Mikado. Back in California, Roscoe went to work at Mack Sennett's studio. He was hired at $40 a week to work at Keystone. For the next three and one half years, he would never be starred or even featured, but he would appear in hundreds of one reel comedies. He would play mostly policeman, usually with the Keystone Cops, but he also played different parts. He would work with Mabel Normand, Fred Sterling, Charlie Chaplin and learn about the process of making movies from Director Henry Lehrman, who directed all but two of his pictures. Roscoe was a gentle and genteel man off screen and always believed that Sennett never thought that he was funny. Roscoe never used his weight to get a laugh. He would never be found stuck in a chair or doorway. He was remarkably agile for his size and used that agility to find humor in situations. By 1914, Roscoe also directed some of his one reelers. By 1915, he would move up to two reelers which would mean that he would need to sustain the comedy to be successful, which he was. He appeared in films such as 'Fatty Again (1914)', 'Mabel, Fatty and the Law (1915)', 'Mabel and Fatty's Wash Day (1915)', 'Mabel and Fatty Viewing the World's Fair at San Francisco (1915)', 'Fatty's Reckless Fling (1915)' and so on. For 'Mabel and Fatty Viewing the World's Fair at San Francisco', Keystone took the actors and crew to the real World's Fair to use it as the background for the movie so that the cost to them was small, while the background was expensive. By 1917, Roscoe formed a partnership with Joseph M. Schenck who was the husband of Norma Talmadge. The company was Comique and the films that Roscoe made were released through the Famous Players on a percentage basis. With his own company, Roscoe had complete creative control over his productions. He also hired a young performer that he met in New York by the name of Buster Keaton. Buster Keaton's film career would start with Roscoe in Butcher Boy, The (1917). Roscoe wrote his own stories first, try them out and then devise funny little twists to generate the laughs. Roscoe's comedy star was second only to Charlie Chaplin. With the success of Comique, Paramount would ask Roscoe to move from the two reel films to feature films in 1919. Roscoe' first full length feature was 'The Roundup (1920)' and it was successful. It would soon be followed by other features such as 'Brewster's Millions (1920)' and 'Gasoline Gus (1921)'. But tragedy would strike on Labor Day, 1921 with the arrest and trial of Roscoe on manslaughter charges. Roscoe had thrown a party which was crashed by a disreputable starlet named Virginia Rappe who fell seriously ill and died a few days later. The papers, led by the Hearst group, would make this incident Hollywood's first truly major scandal. On the day fellow Paramount Director 'William Desmond Taylor' was murdered, Roscoe was notified as he sat at the counsel table awaiting the verdict of the jury in his second manslaughter trial. Roscoe, who had known Taylor since they were both directors at Paramount, was visibly affected. Although eventually acquitted after a third trial in 1923, Roscoe's career was finished as the papers printed unfounded story after story about his supposed guilt, causing a public outcry of moral outrage. Unable to return to the screen, Roscoe later found work as a comedy director for Al St. John, Buster Keaton and others under a pseudonym William Goodrich. In 1932, Sam Sax signed Roscoe to appear in comic shorts for Warner Brothers starting with 'Hey, Pop (1932)'. Roscoe would complete six shorts and show the magic and youthful spirit that he had a decade before. With the success of the shorts, Warner Brothers signed Roscoe to a feature film contract, but he would die in his sleep, at 46, the night after he signed the contract.

It's not the greatest bio in the world but it would be interesting and not too many people know much about him.

Last edited by Samuel; 03-30-03 at 09:06 PM.
Old 03-30-03, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,878 Posts
John Whiteside "Jack" Parsons.

Never heard of him?

He was a rocket scientist, and perfected solid rocket fuel. Parsons was also one of the founders of the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, and has a crater on the dark side of the moon named after him.

Interested yet?

He was also a disciple of Aleister Crowley, a member of the Ordo Templi Orientis, and a self-styled Anti-Christ.

More here: http://www.illuminati-news.com/rocketman.htm

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 03-30-03 at 10:24 PM.
Old 03-30-03, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
50 Cent.. starring 50 cent. And call it 50 Mile.
Old 03-30-03, 10:48 PM
Banned

Old 03-31-03, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Steve McQueen.
Old 03-31-03, 03:31 AM

Originally posted by lesterlong
darn tootin'...i would love to see a cobain bio and also a david pelzer bio
Old 03-31-03, 11:13 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
I'd like to see a movie bio of Alexander Alekhine. He was the world chess champion for a period of time in the thirties, and led a fairly interesting life. He was an alcoholic (which caused him to lose a match in defence of his title), a megalomaniacal tyrant, and a "White Russian" Nazi sympathizer during WWII. He was also Dr. Alekhine, having been educated at the Sorbonne. He died of a heart attack during WWII. He was found dead, slumped over a chess board in his Paris hotel room. I think that would make a great final shot.
Old 03-31-03, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not so much a bio movie, but I'd like to see a film intertwining the stories of Damon Albarn and Noel Gallagher through the supposed "Blur/Oasis rift" of the mid-90's. Sorta like 61*, but with a better soundtrack.

When one thinks about it - there aren't really biographies anymore, are there? Anymore they'll sum up most of a person's life and concentrate on one particular episode...
Old 03-31-03, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Joseph Stalin

He starved millions of his own people, had dozens of his comrades assassinated, and the people of Russia still love him.
Old 03-31-03, 02:55 PM

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Not so much a bio movie, but I'd like to see a film intertwining the stories of Damon Albarn and Noel Gallagher through the supposed "Blur/Oasis rift" of the mid-90's. Sorta like 61*, but with a better soundtrack.
If such a film were to be made, I would really like for the Damon Albarn/Justine Frischmann/Gavin Rossdale love triangle to be featured.
Old 03-31-03, 02:55 PM

Originally posted by Robert
Joseph Stalin

He starved millions of his own people, had dozens of his comrades assassinated, and the people of Russia still love him.
There was a HBO biopic about Stalin a couple of years ago.
Old 03-31-03, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by wendersfan
If such a film were to be made, I would really like for the Damon Albarn/Justine Frischmann/Gavin Rossdale love triangle to be featured.
Gavin Rossdale?

I knew about she and Brett Anderson of Suede (That's "The London Suede" for the yanks), but I knew nothing of Rossdale's involvement. Ooh, it's practically a soap opera already. Why HASN'T this film been made!
Old 03-31-03, 03:29 PM

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Gavin Rossdale?

I knew about she and Brett Anderson of Suede (That's "The London Suede" for the yanks), but I knew nothing of Rossdale's involvement. Ooh, it's practically a soap opera already. Why HASN'T this film been made!
Maybe I'm confused... I thought she left Albarn for Rossdale, but maybe it was Anderson. Either way, the love triangle subplot should figure highly in this movie.
Old 03-31-03, 03:37 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I would love to see a bio of a young Howard Hughes. My dream casting (don't laugh) would be Leonardo DiCaprio for the part.
Old 03-31-03, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by Samuel
[B]Roscoe 'Fatty' Arbuckle
You took my choice!
These were three huge trials that destroyed Arbuckle's career and his life, despite the fact that he was completely innocent.

Honk!
Old 03-31-03, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Id love to see one about Kurt Cobain
Old 03-31-03, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Would like to see one about Vince McMahon.Might be good.