Reload this Page >

(X-Box) Any Tao Feng reviews?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 03-29-03, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not 100% sure I spelled the name correctly, but I think so.

Has anyone played this game yet? I really enjoy fighting games, and this one looked pretty good. The problem is my local Blockbuster only has 1 copy for rent, so it's never available, and I hate to go spend $50 to buy a game and have it turn out to be a POS.
Old 03-29-03, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

IT is terrible, bad control scheme, and silly characters...
Old 03-29-03, 02:13 AM

I second that. I bought it but returned it. I really wanted to like it....
Old 03-29-03, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/22506.asp
Old 03-29-03, 02:15 AM

EGM gave it pretty mediocre reviews... poor midway, it keeps plugging away at those fighting games trying to produce another hit like mortal kombat was.
Old 03-29-03, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Looks like Gamespy is the only site that gave it a really poor review - the rest seem to basically like it. I had high hopes for this one... kinda sucks to hear people thinking it's crappy. :/
Old 03-29-03, 05:13 AM

its very mediocre. its very hard to block or counterattack while somebody is unleashing a combo on you, so its basically lame. good graphics though.
Old 03-29-03, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Currently this game has a disappointing 70% at GameRankings.com. Here are the main reasons why:

Gamers.com:
As the third of Microsoft's most recent attempts to stake its claim in the notoriously intimidating fighting genre (see Kakuto Chojin and Kung Fu Chaos for failed attempts one and two, respectively), Tao Feng serves as the Xbox equivalent of a third Olsen twin...Tao Feng represents yet another colossal misstep in Microsoft's first-party lineup. Not only does the game lack in both artistic and interactive credibility, but oftentimes manages to unintentionally parody itself in the process.

score: 3/10
GameSpot.com:
Tao Feng looks and sounds just fine, but it doesn't have a strong enough fighting system to make it a viable option for fans of the genre. Players looking for a solid fighting game on the Xbox would be better off sticking with the reigning champions, Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance and Capcom vs. SNK 2 EO.

score: 6.4/10
GameSpy.com:
I can't think of a reason that you should purchase Tao Feng, except that the cover can be used as a halloween mask...Tao Feng represents everything that's wrong with non-hardcore fighting games. It has no depth, looks like crap in motion, and has little to occupy a lone player. With a superior game widely available (in the form of MK: DA), there is little reason to waste time with Tao Feng.

score: 38/100
Old 03-29-03, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the opinions folks. I'd read some of the reviews, but like movie reviews, I prefer hearing the opinions of "real" people as opposed to professional reviewers.

Kind of a bummer, I was hoping for a good game, I like the concept of broken, and therefore useless, limbs. I guess I'll wait until I can actually manage to catch it in stock at Blockbuster and give it a rent instead of going out to buy it though.
Old 03-29-03, 11:30 AM
Kyo
Cool New Member

Damn, Mk:DA is supposed to be superior to Tao Feng!? I really hate MK:DA!
Dead or Alive 3 and Soul Calibur 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> MK:DA

Poor Tao Feng.