Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Moore’s Next project Fahrenheit 911 (war related)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-28-03, 08:01 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.wral.com/entertainment/2071617/detail.html
While he caused a big furor at the Oscars Sunday with his controversial remarks about President George W. Bush, documentary filmmaker is hardly finished with taking the commander in chief to task.
According to Variety online, the filmmaker is putting together a deal with actor Mel Gibson's production company to finance "Fahrenheit 911," a documentary that will trace the roots of terrorism against the United States.
But perhaps most shockingly, Moore will also spell out alleged dealings between two generations of the Bush and bin Laden clans, according to Variety.

"The primary thrust of the new film is what has happened to the country since Sept. 11, and how the Bush administration used this tragic event to push its agenda," Moore said in the Variety report.

Moore said the film "certainly does deal with the Bush and bin Laden ties," and "asks a number of questions that I don't have the answers to yet, but which I intend to find out." The trade paper said Moore has done research for the film for a year.
Described as a "circumstantial" tie, the Variety report said that the business relationship began with former President George Bush and Saudi construction magnate Mohammed bin Laden, the father of Osama -- a relationship that endured.
"The senior Bush kept his ties with the bin Laden family up until two months after Sept. 11," Moore said.

Moore plans to release "Fahrenheit 911" in time for France's Cannes Film Festival in 2004 -- a release timed before the presidential election that fall.
The filmmaker received a standing ovation as he marched toward the podium for his Best Documentary win for his film about America's gun culture "Bowling For Columbine" Sunday night in Hollywood, Calif.
However, the mood changed as Moore's defiant acceptance speech progressed.
Moore, who invited his fellow documentary nominees onstage in a show of "solidarity," said, "We like nonfiction and we live in fictitious times. We live in a time when we have fictitious election results that elect fictitious presidents."
The crowd half-cheered and half-jeered with his remarks, but the sounds turned to mostly boos as he went on: "We live in a time where we have a man sending us to war for fictitious reasons, whether it's the fiction of duct tape, or the fiction of orange alerts -- we are against this war Mr. Bush. Shame on you Mr. Bush, shame on you."
The jeers drowned out the remainder of Moore's speech, as he said, "Any time you have the pope and the Dixie Chicks against you, your time is up!"
Go get him Mike!
Old 03-28-03, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With these few comment alone, you can already tell that his next project will be less based in reality than the last and be an appeal to stupidity and prejudice.

We went through all of this already. All the facts have already come to the table. All that is left is for Moore to turn known events into fiction, to tell everyone that all Middle Easterners share the same beliefs and that every one supports terrorism, and basically inspire hatred in the population.
Old 03-28-03, 08:17 PM

Already posted.
Old 03-28-03, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jlbkwrm
Already posted.
Moore's arse covers two zip codes. Why not two threads to cover his equally huge ego?
Old 03-28-03, 08:48 PM
X
Administrator

Received 153 Likes on 123 Posts
I think this is different enough from the other thread although I'm wondering if it belongs in the Movie Forum.
Old 03-28-03, 09:00 PM
Mod Emeritus

Yeah Movie Forum sounds good.
Old 03-28-03, 09:01 PM
Banned

Location: John "57 Varieties" Kerry represents me in the US Senate.
Bah! What I want to see is a documentary on Americans who are *so* extremely partisan that they couldn't even put their prejudices aside in the days following 9/11.

For instance, there's this one left-wing assclown who had this to say: "If someone did this to get back at Bush, then they did so by killing thousands of people who DID NOT VOTE for him! Boston, New York, DC, and the planes' destination of California — these were places that voted AGAINST Bush!
Why kill them?"

Linky: http://www.nationalreview.com/ponnur...ru091401.shtml
Old 03-28-03, 09:58 PM
Banned

Originally posted by BigPete
With these few comment alone, you can already tell that his next project will be less based in reality than the last and be an appeal to stupidity and prejudice.

We went through all of this already. All the facts have already come to the table. All that is left is for Moore to turn known events into fiction, to tell everyone that all Middle Easterners share the same beliefs and that every one supports terrorism, and basically inspire hatred in the population.
Agreed. I really can't see how anyone could take him seriously anymore. And Mel what were you thinking?
Old 03-28-03, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take him seriously........he's going to continue to get plenty of work because he's "hot" right now.

He made a great documentary that was extremely well-liked
and Hollywood generally seems to like him.
Old 03-28-03, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Well finally, a nuetral party will take a look at this.

What an absolute joke. Just more crap from the country's angriest mockumentary maker.
Old 03-29-03, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Rod Thorn
Moore's arse covers two zip codes. Why not two threads to cover his equally huge ego?
Nice comment and right on the subject too. I love it when somebody runs out of things to dispute about Moore, they take the low shot and make fun of his weight. Like something out of middle school.
Old 03-29-03, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Didn't Moore used to do work that actually helped people? I guess he could say that he's helping people now by pushing his agenda, but it seems to me that Moore is starting to lose sight of the personal points by flinging himself so violently at "the big picture."
Old 03-29-03, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally posted by badger1997
Nice comment and right on the subject too. I love it when somebody runs out of things to dispute about Moore, they take the low shot and make fun of his weight. Like something out of middle school.
it's a common tactic among liberals, or so Rush says.
Old 03-29-03, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,876 Posts
Originally posted by inVectiVe
[B]Bah! What I want to see is a documentary on Americans who are *so* extremely partisan that they couldn't even put their prejudices aside in the days following 9/11.

For instance, there's this one left-wing assclown who had this to say: "If someone did this to get back at Bush, then they did so by killing thousands of people who DID NOT VOTE for him! Boston, New York, DC, and the planes' destination of California — these were places that voted AGAINST Bush!
Why kill them?"

Yes, and those notorious liberal pinkos Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell were laying the blame on feminists, the ACLU, and homosexuals the next ****ing day.

The nerve of them.

So if you're looking for assclowns, there are plenty of big round red buttplugs to go around.
Old 03-29-03, 01:46 PM
Banned

Ah! I knew somebody would bring up the Falwell / Robertson angle. Not to say, "You're soooooo predictable;" actually, it *is* a valid comparison. [And for the record, I'm as far right as they come and I found those remarks pretty stupid.]

The reason I mentioned Moore's assclownishness is to suggest that he is SO radically partisan that I wouldn't put it past him for a second to twist / distort / even invent facts & figures to support the conclusion he so desperately wants to draw: Bush = Bad.

Now, some people might say, "Not even MM would use 9/11 in such an exploitive, cynical fashion," but I think the quote I provided demonstrates that he certainly would.
Old 03-29-03, 03:41 PM

From Dictionary.com

doc·u·men·ta·ry ( P ) Pronunciation Key (dky-mnt-r)
adj.
1)Consisting of, concerning, or based on documents.
2)Presenting facts objectively without editorializing or inserting fictional matter, as in a book or film.

n. pl. doc·u·men·ta·ries
A work, such as a film or television program, presenting political, social, or historical subject matter in a factual and informative manner and often consisting of actual news films or interviews accompanied by narration.
So when does this propeganda roll out?

"When you have Bruce Willis and Wane Gretzky against you your days are numbered"
Old 03-29-03, 04:06 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Kaffe_02
"When you have Bruce Willis and Wane Gretzky against you your days are numbered"

Of all the jaw-droppingly idiotic things this assclown (I keep using that term because forum rules dictate that I can't write what I *really* think about him) has said, it's tough to beat the Pope / Dixie Chicks zinger for abject stupidity.

I'm going to start using that line (or something derived from it) as the Death Blow, that final nail in the coffin of an argument I've just disemboweled. Doesn't have to be limited to politics, either:

"The Pope and the Dixie Chicks agree: The Matrix Reloaded is even better than the original!"

Advance praise for Metallica's new album:

"It rockz!" - The Pope

"It rulez!" - The Dixie Chicks
Old 03-31-03, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh great. I can't wait!

Michael Moore is such a tard.
Old 03-31-03, 11:33 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Josh-da-man
Yes, and those notorious liberal pinkos Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell were laying the blame on feminists, the ACLU, and homosexuals the next ****ing day.

The nerve of them.

So if you're looking for assclowns, there are plenty of big round red buttplugs to go around.
This is a silly come back. Anyone who finds Moore's comments offensive will find Robertson and Falwell's offensive too. In a perfect world we'd put all three of them in an oven along w/ a lot of other people who make their money by pitting the public against each other like fighting dogs.
Old 03-31-03, 11:46 AM

Isn't Osama no longer on good terms with his family? I seem to remember something along those lines... So, a connection between Bush Sr. and the elder bin Laden might not be terribly relevant -- correct me if I'm wrong.

As for Moore inventing things, I don't think that's accurate. The complaint has been that he has shown things from different times where they might be taken as happening consecutively (Heston's speech in BfC), not that he altered the wording or anything. The facts are the facts, the ordering is one of the main beefs.

Anyway, this one seems a lot like a crusade. Hard to say how this one will come out, but still a while. Prejudging at this stage of the game equates to having just as much bias as you're accusing Moore of having.
Old 03-31-03, 04:10 PM
Banned

Great, I can't wait. This one is going to sink him for sure.
Old 03-31-03, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't wait to see this un-biased documentary.
Old 03-31-03, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 507 Likes on 351 Posts
@ inVectiVe's sig
Old 04-01-03, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by inVectiVe

Of all the jaw-droppingly idiotic things this assclown (I keep using that term because forum rules dictate that I can't write what I *really* think about him) has said, it's tough to beat the Pope / Dixie Chicks zinger for abject stupidity.

I'm going to start using that line (or something derived from it) as the Death Blow, that final nail in the coffin of an argument I've just disemboweled. Doesn't have to be limited to politics, either:

"The Pope and the Dixie Chicks agree: The Matrix Reloaded is even better than the original!"

Advance praise for Metallica's new album:

"It rockz!" - The Pope

"It rulez!" - The Dixie Chicks

Ummm.... idiotic things he says, huh..... okay. What did you just write?

Moore is creating all this hate, good. It proves his point. People rather sit there an hate other people, insult them, call them idiots, go to war and kill- Like we are doing abroad, like we are doing at home, like people are doing in theis thread. You dissagree. That doesn't mean you have to hate the man. This is the mutherf**kin' US of A. The man has the right to say what he wants. He has the right to make a documentary even if it doesn't follow the dictonary definition some internet geek posts on a message board. The man is making propaganda. Yes, he is. But what's so unique about him is that he's making it for the side that usually has no popaganda. And for that, like him or not, agree with his films or not, he should be respected for being as American as it gets- heck- he's even fat- and fat people are funny.
Old 04-01-03, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts
Great to see that he's working on another documentary, I just love when he stirs up all the conservatives (although that's pretty damn easy to do).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.