Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The JULIA ROBERTS Defense Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-03, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't understand all you Julia Roberts bashers who say she was unworthy of the Oscar in 2000 for her dynamic role as "Erin Brockovich." First of all, even if you eliminate her past work and pretend "Erin Brockovich" was Roberts' first film, it was an excellent performance. She portrayed fiestiness, bravado, sensitivity, aggressiveness, and vulnerability. She deserved that Oscar hands-down. It was not due to her popularity, nor was it due to a make-up or a cumulative Oscar. It was because she was the best actress of 2000.

Now, I'm a realist, and I realize that she's been in some heavy flops since her role as the prostitute in 1990's "Pretty Woman." Of course, we all have our own way of determining a flop from a "cult hit," and there are people who enjoy movies that flop and do not measure the worth of a film in box office dollars (I am among that count). But for the argument of box office dollars, the following films have not grossed all that well - and are therefore considered "failures" or flops.

1990 - "Flatliners"
1991 - "Sleeping With The Enemy"
(possible exception)
1991 - "Hook"
1991 - "Dying Young"
1992 - "The Player"
1993 - "The Pelican Brief"
1994 - "Ready To Wear"
1994 - "I Love Trouble"
1995 - "Something To Talk About"
1996 - "Michael Collins"
1996 - "Mary Reilly"
1996 - "Everyone Says I Love You"
1997 - "Conspiracy Theory"

Then, later in 1997, she bounced back with the hit "My Best Friend's Wedding," (which I hate, by the way). From there, she started earning her box office potential back with such films as:

1998 - "Stepmom"
1999 - "Runaway Bride"
(yes, it earned over 100 million)
1999 - "Notting Hill"

Then, "Erin Brockovich" and the Academy Award.

Unfortunately, she followed up her Oscar win with

2001 - "Ocean's Eleven"
2001 - "The Mexican"
(which was okay, not great)
2001 - "America's Sweethearts"
Old 03-28-03, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The JULIA ROBERTS Defense Thread

Originally posted by Buttmunker
I don't understand all you Julia Roberts bashers who say she was unworthy of the Oscar in 2000 for her dynamic role as "Erin Brockovich." First of all, even if you eliminate her past work and pretend "Erin Brockovich" was Roberts' first film, it was an excellent performance. She portrayed fiestiness, bravado, sensitivity, aggressiveness, and vulnerability. She deserved that Oscar hands-down. It was not due to her popularity, nor was it due to a make-up or a cumulative Oscar. It was because she was the best actress of 2000.
I agree she was excellent in Erin Brockovich. I loved the film because of her and Albert Finney. And I am happy she got the recognition. I, too, don't know why a lot of people "dislike" her. I would like reasons really.

Now, I'm a realist, and I realize that she's been in some heavy flops since her role as the prostitute in 1990's "Pretty Woman." Of course, we all have our own way of determining a flop from a "cult hit," and there are people who enjoy movies that flop and do not measure the worth of a film in box office dollars (I am among that count). But for the argument of box office dollars, the following films have not grossed all that well - and are therefore considered "failures" or flops.

Even though these films were considered "failures" or "flops" they are still excellent films. BTW, I wouldn't call The Player a film starring Julia Roberts. She is only in the end. I hope that didn't spoil anything for anyone. And I loved Conspiracy Theory!

1990 - "Flatliners"
1991 - "Sleeping With The Enemy"
1991 - "Hook"
1992 - "The Player"
1995 - "Something To Talk About"

----------

1998 - "Stepmom"
I wasn't too keen on this film, but it was a hit...

1999 - "Runaway Bride"
Pretty good.

1999 - "Notting Hill"
This was a good film.

2001 - "Ocean's Eleven"
2001 - "The Mexican"
(which was okay, not great)
2001 - "America's Sweethearts"
I don't know about you but I loved Ocean's Eleven and The Mexican. They were both great films. Even though The Mexican didn't go over 100 million, I would put that against it.

Bottom line, she is a great actress who deserves all she has gotten. She seems so down to earth and funny.

Only thing: She should shave her underarms everyday...

Last edited by conscience; 03-28-03 at 09:32 AM.
Old 03-28-03, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Loved Notting Hill. Great soundtrack and all around story.

All in all I believe she deserved the Oscar for Erin Brokovich. Very good film IMHO.

Great thread idea.
Old 03-28-03, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was particularly moved in "Erin Brockovich" when Albert Finney's character accuses her of not getting personally involved with the case. Her response to him is what I believed earned her that Oscar.
Old 03-28-03, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not a vocal fan of Robert’s work. Despite her reportedly high IQ, she seems to struggle in roles that demand an intelligent, self-confident persona. I simply do not find her screen presence believable as an attorney, scientist, or other professional (unless one counts the oldest profession ;-) ).

That said, I do think she was amazing in EB and that she deserved the Oscar. And I have enjoyed her in other roles as well—Pretty Woman and The Player for example. But I also think she lacks range and often chooses roles (or perhaps it’s a mismatch with the director) that exceed her abilities or require a presence she can not deliver. I see her more as a movie star, rather than an actress. I don’t hate her; but I would not see a movie simply because she is in it.
Old 03-28-03, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've always liked her. Especially in Pretty Woman, EB and Ocean's 11.
Old 03-28-03, 10:50 AM
Banned

"The Mexican" (which was okay, not great)
One of the most unwatchable piles of dump I've ever seen. Just awful.

I liked Erin B. a lot, but it wasn't the best performance of that year.
Old 03-28-03, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

2001 - "Ocean's Eleven""
There's nothing unfortunate about that. It's been her best movie, IMO.
Old 03-28-03, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Let me sum up the argument against Ms. Roberts.

The woman has only two facial expressions:

Nostrils flared and nostrils at rest.
Old 03-28-03, 12:58 PM

i've actually never seen eb, not really hurting to either. but she is one of my favorite actresses. notting hill is easily one of my favorite if not the favorite romantic comedy. and she was excellent in 011, though i'm sure anyone could have filled the roll with such an amazing cast. on a side note i was thinking about her the other day and she has to be one of the most beautiful women in hollywood. i'm talking beauty, not sexiness or hotness. her smile goes on for miles, i know, but i don't know she has the look of the old time ladies (bergman, hepburn, wood).
Old 03-28-03, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

It's not that I think she's a terrible actress or anything - I never really thought about it actually. I never really liked her because she's got a big mouth... but I have liked her in a few things. There's lots of movies missing from the list you posted, but I get why you posted what you did. Still - it just happens to be a list of films which mostly suck (IMO) which makes me wonder why she's so popular.

1990 - "Flatliners" - decent/mediocre
1991 - "Sleeping With The Enemy" - suck
1991 - "Hook" - suck (was she even in it? oh yeah, tinkerbell)
1991 - "Dying Young" - depressing suck
1992 - "The Player" - decent
1993 - "The Pelican Brief" - decent
1994 - "Ready To Wear" - ubersuck
1994 - "I Love Trouble" - decent
1995 - "Something To Talk About" - suck
1996 - "Michael Collins" - suck
1996 - "Mary Reilly" - suck
1996 - "Everyone Says I Love You" - suck
1997 - "Conspiracy Theory" - decent/good
1997 - "My Best Friend's Wedding" - suck
1998 - "Stepmom" - suck
1999 - "Runaway Bride" - suck
1999 - "Notting Hill" - suck

"Erin Brockovich" - Lifetime movie of the week... yawn...

2001 - "Ocean's Eleven" - decent/suck
2001 - "The Mexican" - Great (don't know why, but I loved this flick)
2001 - "America's Sweethearts" - suck
Old 03-28-03, 01:49 PM
bcd

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts
Re: Re: The JULIA ROBERTS Defense Thread

Originally posted by Trigger
It's not that I think she's a terrible actress or anything - I never really thought about it actually. I never really liked her because she's got a big mouth...

I mention that all the time when I see her on TV. Those chompers could be dangerous!

bcd

Last edited by bcd; 03-28-03 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-28-03, 05:49 PM
Banned

Location: John "57 Varieties" Kerry represents me in the US Senate.
conscience asked for specific reasons why those of us who don't like Jules feel the way we do, so I don't think I'm threadcrapping here.

For me - and this is quite petty, but hey, you *did* ask - part of the problem has to do with this:
Originally posted by WiccanPagan
on a side note i was thinking about her the other day and she has to be one of the most beautiful women in hollywood. i'm talking beauty, not sexiness or hotness. her smile goes on for miles, i know, but i don't know she has the look of the old time ladies (bergman, hepburn, wood).
I have a tendency (and this goes well beyond movies) to excessively backlash against things I deem "overrated." And, considering all my knowledge of pop culture, I'd be hard pressed to name anything I consider more overpraised than Julia Roberts' alleged "beauty." I won't go into too much gory detail, but briefly, the ONLY thing I find even remotely attractive about her is her hair - and even that "doesn't really count," as I'm convinced anyone can have great hair when you've got a highly skilled team of $500 an hour technicians tending to your 'do.

By the standards of a Hollywood actress, I don't think JR even comes close to rising above the mediocre / average range. If I saw a woman who looked like her walking down the street, I wouldn't even hold my gaze for more than a nanosecond.

OK, so it's not entirely her fault, but I get annoyed all the same when every major media constantly tells me how gorgeous she is; I call it The Jennifer Lopez Effect. Still, in an effort to make myself appear slightly less shallow, I will say that in the few movies I've seen her in (which, admittedly, excludes her Oscar winner), I found exactly nothing appealing about her. At all. "Conspiracy Theory" seemed like a relatively safe bet for me - I like Gibson, and was in the mood for a fun movie when I saw it - but for whatever reason, I effing HATED that movie.

Finally, I've seen some quotes attributed to her in which she "personally attacks" people like me........because we don't share her "enlightened, sophisticated" political ideology. I've commented on "actors' politics" in enough threads that I think this time, I'll just leave it at that.

In summary, we have a woman who's held up as the ideal of female physical perfection, while I consider her average at best; who's made many $100+ million grossers, while I've never liked her in anything I've seen her do; and who hates (not simply "disagrees with" - hates) me because of my politics.

That, my friends, is why I don't like Julia Roberts.
Old 03-28-03, 05:52 PM
Banned

Julia Roberts = NOT HOT
Old 03-28-03, 05:54 PM
Banned

Location: John "57 Varieties" Kerry represents me in the US Senate.
Actually, if you haven't read my previous post, don't bother; Pants just summarized the whole thing beautifully.

Edit: I guess I owe it to y'all to provide a link and an example of what JR has said that catapulted her RHQ (Republican Hater Quotient) to Streisandian levels:
Speaking at a Gore/Lieberman fundraiser last September the glossy autodidact revealed, "Republican comes in the dictionary just after reptile and just above repugnant."
Linky: http://www.nationalreview.com/weeken...rd032401.shtml

This is hate speech, plain and simple. Which absolutely falls under "free speech," but just as surely as JR has the right to say it, I have the right to consider her a conformity-obsessed shallow little Sarandon knockoff. [And Sarandon is more attractive despite being several decades older.]

OK. Gotta go find a rock to lie on, so I can let the sun regulate the temperature of my reptilian body. You warm-blooded mammals have NO idea how easy you have it...

Last edited by inVectiVe; 03-28-03 at 08:20 PM.
Old 03-28-03, 06:36 PM

She is at best just an average actress. She will never be confused for Meryl Streep, Jodie Foster, women who can act .
Old 03-28-03, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I like Julia Roberts. She was good in Erin Brockovich but I can't see how she deserved the award. If anything, Albert Finney was more deserving of the one he didn't get.

However, there's something about the film I can't stomach:

The Dark Side of Erin Brockovich by Michael Fumento

And why has no one mentioned Mystic Pizza??
Old 03-28-03, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
I think JR BLOWS big greasy chunks and is FUGLY
Why Hollywood still gives her a chance I'll never understand. Tons of actresses with more

However, I did like here in:

Runaway Bride...it seemed to be about her real life.

America's Sweethearts...although I admit when gorgeous Cathi Zeta Jones was onscreen with her, JR looked even uglier than normal. I will admit I thought JR looked attractive in the flashback scenes where she waas fat.

Notting Hill...she IS a bitch and played a bitch

Steel Magnolias...because she
Spoiler:
DIED
Old 03-28-03, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Giantrobo:

---------

When I look to actors or actresses, I pass on anything they have to say about politics. **** 'em. I just like the actors and actresses I like because they can act, not because they are demo or repub.

That is why I never read about a celebrity talkin' politics.

If they want to speak politics...be a ****ing politician.

And that is why I never bring up celebs and politics.
Old 03-28-03, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think you disproved your case for julia just by listing her credits, buttmunker. A whole lot of crap spanning 13 years time.

She hasn't taken one serious risk in her career (other than lopping her hair off and going into hiding for a year or so after bailing out on her impending wedding to kiefer sutherland)

I believe her career peaked pretty early with her cinderella turn in pretty woman. I really liked her in that picture, she got her oscar nod. It's been downsville for me with her since. I attribute it to the movie star syndrome.

Brockovich was her chance to show off that she could talk tough and dress down. And in the end of that film she got her cake and ate it, too.

In other words, she's no julianne moore. Poor julianne, she'll never win an oscar. Not with movie stars like julia taking the lemons and making lemonade instead of sucking the limes after the tequila.
Old 06-12-03, 11:13 PM

Check in.

I'm a fans of Julia Roberts. I am here to defend her
Old 06-12-03, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I agree Julia Roberts is a very good actress. She also has an incredible smile. I don't know why people don't like her.
Old 06-13-03, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My wife and I have always loved her movies:

Mystic Pizza
Pretty Woman
1990 - "Flatliners"
1991 - "Dying Young"
1997 - "My Best Friend's Wedding"
1998 - "Stepmom"
1999 - "Runaway Bride"
1999 - "Notting Hill"
"Erin Brockovich"
2001 - "Ocean's Eleven"

Not bad set of movies. How many of us can say we been abart of movies that have earned around 2 billion dollors????

Pretty Successful if you ask me.

I really believe some people just don't like her kind of movies, but there are others that are just jealous of her success.
Old 06-13-03, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i like 75% of her movies...

nitting hill is the best so far.... asides from pretty woman

the rest are so-so

she's ok in my book... just ok
Old 06-13-03, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think she's ok. But honestly she hasn't been in very many "quality" movies in my opinion. Does she deserve all the money she makes? Absolutely. Any actor who can pull in massive amounts of money for movies that, without that actor, would be considered mediocre drivel, is worth a lot of money. So there's no denying her popularity and worth. But does that a good actress make? She's ok, but really has very little range. She plays every role as if Julia Roberts were a...prostitute, a lawyer, a single mom, a best friend...so on. It's just her...in different situations. Which can be fine, especially for the light hearted stuff she does, but no way do I think she deserved that oscar. What she had was a well made movie about a fairly bland story and a performance that she played against that was, imo, Oscar worthy. I thought Albert Finney was excellent in that movie, and while she did a more than servicable job, it was in no way something that was particularly noteworthy. Seriously, she won mostly because of who she and the fact she did a serious, well received role. her performance was solid, but in no way did I think it remarkable. That is my opinion, but her popularity did more for her win than her performance...IMO. Lots of Oscars are won this way...though often times they are more deserving actors. Denzel for Training Day? Please...how bout "we want Denzel to win so this will do." And that's my opinion.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.