Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Somewhere in Time - Any reviews?

SpringsGal
03-27-03, 11:57 AM
I saw this movie on sale and was wondering if the current version (Somewhere in Time - Special Edition) is worth purchasing? I love the movie but want to know if the current transfer is good. Is it anamorphic? Any chance a better version will be released in the near future? Thanks.

greatjedi
03-27-03, 06:54 PM
Unfortunately the transfer is not anamorphic. Also the the video quality isn't all that great if I remember right. I haven't heard anything about a rerelease, but with Universal it's very possible.

Sorry I can't be more descriptive about the video. It's been a couple years since I watched it, but I remember feeling extremely underwhelmed. :(

Panda Phil
03-30-03, 02:57 AM
The current version of the film is basically the same as the 1998 release. The print is pretty clean, i.e. no dirt on the print, but there's a fair amount of grain visible, especially during darker scenes. It's non-Anamorphic and sound is in 2.0 mono. It's a shame really. I was hoping they'd at least clean it up for the CE. I kinda doubt Universal plans on rereleasing it anytime soon though, what with 2 editions circulating. So if you like the film at all, this version is your best bet.

The included documentary is very well done. I won't say it's worth the price of the disk, but it definately sweetens the deal.

SpringsGal
03-31-03, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the replies. I saw the movie priced at $9.94 and ended up purchasing it. Now that I bought it, I am sure a better version is just round the corner :-)

Another movie that appears to be in need of a better quality release is Field of Dreams. The current version is not anamorphic and some of the reviews criticized the video quality.

Hopefully, we will have a new version in the near future.