Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What Does an Original Academy Screener Look LIke?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-26-03, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry if this is the worng place for this post...

What does an original case and DVD look like sent out by the Academy? Does it have a menu, features, subtitles? DTS sound? How does one tell it from a copy? Just curious....

Thanks
Ron Boster

PS: Any specifics for "Two Towers" one could tell a screener from a copy? Does it have a DTS banner on top?
Old 03-26-03, 04:25 PM

i believe they are movie only.
Old 03-26-03, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
They are sent out by the individual studios, not by the academy so what the cases look like and what is on the discs vary. Most are movie only(I don't really think any contain supplements) with no menus and no chapter stops. Most have great transfers and sound.

Most also have messages that pop up during the movie that state that it is an academy screener and is not to be sold blah blah blah.

The cases are usually very plain. All the ones I have seen are in keepcases, including Warner titles. The Two Towers specifically was just a plain black cover with the title of the film centered. Usually the back covers will also list all of the people who made the film for each potential oscar category.

Not worth paying for if in my opinion. Especially because of the annoying messages that pop up.

Last edited by sherm42; 03-26-03 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-26-03, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the respones!!! All the ebay I've been seeing it crap copies.
Old 03-26-03, 08:12 PM

the ebay ones are sometimes bootlegs and vcds be wary about them. once the screeners come out bootlegers often buy them and copy from their for a better picture. be very very careful if yer buying these things off ebay this late after they were sent out.
Old 03-26-03, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ebay is not allowed to have the screening copies for sale. they are still considered property of the academy even if they are in the hands of the voters and are not allowed to be sold.

Want to see some covers?

they are pretty much just the movie alone, no extra's and choice of audio set up on most of them.
Old 03-27-03, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Again, that's what I was looking for! Special thanks to JackS for the scan.

Ron
Old 03-27-03, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by sherm42
They are sent out by the individual studios, not by the academy so what the cases look like and what is on the discs vary. Most are movie only(I don't really think any contain supplements) with no menus and no chapter stops. Most have great transfers and sound.

Most also have messages that pop up during the movie that state that it is an academy screener and is not to be sold blah blah blah.

The cases are usually very plain. All the ones I have seen are in keepcases, including Warner titles. The Two Towers specifically was just a plain black cover with the title of the film centered. Usually the back covers will also list all of the people who made the film for each potential oscar category.

Not worth paying for if in my opinion. Especially because of the annoying messages that pop up.
That's exactly what they're like. A friend loaned me an academy screener for Chicago and it's like sherm described: no chapter stops, no menu, no extras...thank God we could fast forward through the musical numbers. And you do get that annoying message "For Academy Consideration Only" over and over again. I wouldn't buy them.
Old 03-27-03, 01:46 PM

I guess I will beat a dead horse too....

same as above its just the movie, no chapter, no extras. I have 2. I have FAR AND AWAY and I have an international screener of CATCH ME IF YOU CAN. Both the same...

no extras, just the film and for your consideration everywhere..and the not for sale warning. Not good to buy but if you get one for free or can borrow its cool.
Old 03-28-03, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got a Two Towers screener really cheap off Ebay and it did have chapter stops, and only For Your Consideration pops up once in a awhile, and it doesnt affect the movie, especially having a clear, perfect letterbox DVD, enough to hold me til August and get the official release- and then the Extended Edition.
Old 03-29-03, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by devilpants
That's exactly what they're like. A friend loaned me an academy screener for Chicago and it's like sherm described: no chapter stops, no menu, no extras...thank God we could fast forward through the musical numbers. And you do get that annoying message "For Academy Consideration Only" over and over again. I wouldn't buy them.

So what's the point of watching it, then?
Old 04-22-03, 02:06 PM

Jack, did you have cover art you took down? I'm curious to see what they look like. =)
Old 04-22-03, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I didn't take them down, the site hosting them went down. I'll upload them again
Old 04-22-03, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 04-22-03 at 03:26 PM.
Old 04-22-03, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

We should all be so lucky.
Old 04-22-03, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by shaun3000

I'm guessing he meant "fast-forward to the musical numbers."
Old 04-25-03, 12:52 PM

I have great copys on svcd of lotr 2 towers and die another day they are widescreen and every few minutes the words say
"For your consideration" at bottom of screen
Old 04-25-03, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by shaun3000

Ahaha, my wife does wardrobe for the movies (go see Underworld and The Last Samurai plugplug) so we wanted to see the clothes. It is a great looking film, I just can't deal with Richard Gere tap dancing, sorry.