DVD Talk
Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars 30th anniv reissue reviews? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars 30th anniv reissue reviews?

Lamont
03-26-03, 12:19 PM
If anyone knows of any reviews for this please post them...for those who dont know, this is being re-released on 4/1.
I know the video wont be much of improvement (saw it on AMC last year), but I'm interested in hearing about the 5.1 mix.
Thanks

Lamont
04-02-03, 12:40 AM
In case anyone is interested (doesnt seem like it from the lack of response here when I posed this), I thought I'd do a very mini review since I got the disc today.
Video is still grainy and there are time where there is massive film artifacts, which was odd because some scenes are incredibly clean, others painfully not so, but I'm assuming that had to do with the budget DA had for the 30th anniv. But, it is still the best I've ever seen this film, and I've seen it many many times. Colors are more vibrant than before. It has its weak spots where you wonder why they couldnt have cleaned it up, but overall they really did a great job. As long as you know the limitations going in and dont expect way too much you'll be pleased. 1.33:1 by the way which I believe is OAR.
The audio is pretty amazing. Full with lots of bass, it really has to be heard. My only beef is with the 5.1 mix is that it seems like there is seperation just for the sake of it. For example, the backing vocals are mainly heard through the rear speakers, with brings them out too much in the mix rather than blending them in. Its also odd because the backgroud singer(s) are off stage, so when you have a long shot of the DB, Mick, Trevor, and Woody on stage that are featured, you hear the backing vocals, but dont see who singing...which when you bring it to the forefront like they did in this mix, to me it was a bit strange. This was absolutely meant to be played loud. Very clean and not at all muddy. Also includes a PCM stereo track.
The only other thing on this disc is a commentary with DA and Tony Visconti witch is seriously one of the best commentaries I have ever heard. Its of fthe cuff and very very informative and engaging throughout.
The packaging for those who care is ok, has a clear slipcover like Criterion's Fear and Loathing, which has the just title and the 30th anniv etc, the cardboard case slips out and is only black with just the pictures on the cover and back. Couldve been better, but its nice.
I dont know why I thought this was going to be a double disc set, its not.
Overall its too expensive for the casual fan (retail is $35+, you can find it on sale this week for $26ish at Tower, Amazon), but really highly recommended for the true Bowie fan. Like you needed me to tell you that.

T. Bickle
04-02-03, 06:52 AM
DeepDiscountdvd.com has it for $23.

redio
04-02-03, 09:40 AM
Lamont - thanks for posting your review.

TB - thanks for the price check.

dom56
04-02-03, 10:08 AM
Nice review, Lamont.

I order it on online, since none of my local B&M stores carry a single copy. Can't wait.

jonnyrocks
04-02-03, 10:29 AM
I remember hearing speculation about some scenes from the original release being missing in this rerelease...can you confirm this, Lamont?

I'm looking to pick up this new version, but just wondering if it's worth hanging on to my old copy of the DVD if scenes are missing.

Thanks!

Lamont
04-02-03, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by jonnyrocks
I remember hearing speculation about some scenes from the original release being missing in this rerelease...can you confirm this, Lamont?

I'm looking to pick up this new version, but just wondering if it's worth hanging on to my old copy of the DVD if scenes are missing.

Thanks!

Jonny,
If you can give me specific scenes I'll check for you.
I personally didnt notice anything missing.
I'm guessing maybe when they showed it AMC last year they might have edited it for time, which may have given the impression some stuff was taken out of the cleaned up edition, but I dont think they edited the DVD release.
The original dvd is crap, you'll really appreciate the difference with this one.
John

AtlDVD
04-07-03, 11:59 PM
Yes - its missing the Jeff Beck "Jean Genie" -

However I dont think it was on any of the previous VHS or DVDs-- apparently they cant get rights to it..

which is stupid - having this out could only help Jeff Beck... not hurt ....

Lawyers always seem to ruin a good thing....

Lamont
04-09-03, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by AtlDVD
Yes - its missing the Jeff Beck "Jean Genie" -

However I dont think it was on any of the previous VHS or DVDs-- apparently they cant get rights to it..

which is stupid - having this out could only help Jeff Beck... not hurt ....

Lawyers always seem to ruin a good thing....

Tony Visconti covers this in the commentary. It was actually Jeff Beck who wanted his 2 songs out of the movie, album, etc. He thought his playing was really bad that night. They even went back into the studio to re-record so they could overdub. After the re-recording he again decided he didnt want it in. Plus he thought visually he didnt fit into the show...he thought he was dressed too normal compared to the others and thought he stood out in a bad way...something like that. No laywers involved here, Jeff's decision.
Listen to the commentary, its great.

El Kabong
04-10-03, 09:40 PM
Jeff Beck seems to have some performance issues. He also backed out of touring with Roger Waters for the Amused To Death tour when he played on the whole album. Apparently he's even more of a perfectionist than Waters. He's alright, but no Gilmour & definitely doesn't deserve to act like a baby. How can you call yourself a guitar god if you can't play live?