Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Celine in LV....

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-03, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Celine in LV....

Just caught the end of Drove All Night and (What a ) Wonderful World.

Hope she doesn't think that's gonna put a$$es in the seats......

Last edited by Jobronie; 03-26-03 at 06:14 AM.
Old 03-25-03, 09:01 PM
Banned

I thought the show was amazing and Ill sure go see it live next time Im in Vegas.
Old 03-25-03, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

yeah I'm not a Celine fan, however I was interested in seeing what this show was about due to the fact it's from the Cirque director.

Was really disappointed, especially with the hype it is bringing and comparisons to other great LV shows.

After seeing what they put into it, and the dressing room they gave her (basically replicated her LV HOUSE!!! inside Caesar's), I think it'll be a bust compared to what they were expecting for the next 3 years at those ticket prices.
Old 03-26-03, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
Thanks CBS, now I won't have to spend an ungodly amount of money to see her sing. It was alright but only because it was free.
Old 03-26-03, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree. This is the poorest special/concert Celine has put on. And the show is Celine meets Vegas meets Cirque de Soleil. Where was the band, if it even existed? The music may be prerecorded. Too many freakin' dancers and too big of a distraction. Too gimmicky with Celine floating in the air. And to top it off, Celine's covers were not anywhere as good as the originals. Roberta Flack's "First Time Ever I Saw Your Face", Louis Armstrong's "It's a Wonderful World", a Stevie Wonder cover, and of course, Cyndi Lauper's "I Drove All Night." Bad hair cut/color, Celine. All this coming from someone who likes her music, in general.

It's expensive? How much are tickets?
Old 03-26-03, 07:52 AM

Originally posted by big whoppa
I agree. This is the poorest special/concert Celine has put on. And the show is Celine meets Vegas meets Cirque de Soleil. Where was the band, if it even existed? The music may be prerecorded. Too many freakin' dancers and too big of a distraction. Too gimmicky with Celine floating in the air. And to top it off, Celine's covers were not anywhere as good as the originals. Roberta Flack's "First Time Ever I Saw Your Face", Louis Armstrong's "It's a Wonderful World", a Stevie Wonder cover, and of course, Cyndi Lauper's "I Drove All Night." Bad hair cut/color, Celine. All this coming from someone who likes her music, in general.

It's expensive? How much are tickets?
Yeah, the tickets are expensive in my mind anyway.
They run $88 - $200.
So it's $88 for the CHEAP seats in the rear corner second balcony.
Anywhere "close" is $200 and $150.
I'd rather see "O" for $110 anyday over that.

I also thought her covers were weak.

And they were billing that "even the furthest seat from the stage was only 120 ft away" in the second balcony last row.
However from one "preview" review I read in the LV journal and from the few camera shots from there last night I have a different view. She looked like an ANT from up there with that HUGE STAGE.
The stage is just too big, and goes too far back.
Even if you are front row center a lot of times the action looks like it's still 50ft away.

Only way I'm going is if I get free tickets from Caesar's (I'm on their mailing list and get room/money/vouchers, so if ticket sales ever do become slow we'll see).
Old 03-26-03, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by briank
Yeah, the tickets are expensive in my mind anyway.
They run $88 - $200.
So it's $88 for the CHEAP seats in the rear corner second balcony.
Anywhere "close" is $200 and $150.
I'd rather see "O" for $110 anyday over that.

I also thought her covers were weak.

And they were billing that "even the furthest seat from the stage was only 120 ft away" in the second balcony last row.
However from one "preview" review I read in the LV journal and from the few camera shots from there last night I have a different view. She looked like an ANT from up there with that HUGE STAGE.
The stage is just too big, and goes too far back.
Even if you are front row center a lot of times the action looks like it's still 50ft away.

Only way I'm going is if I get free tickets from Caesar's (I'm on their mailing list and get room/money/vouchers, so if ticket sales ever do become slow we'll see).
Yeah, I consider that expensive. Anything above $50 is rather expensive in my book. I thought Vegas shows were supposed to be inexpensive. Celine's making money hand over fist.

I definitely wouldn't go. The only decent song last night was Celine's own "Love Can Move Mountains." I do like that she went more uptempo in the first couple of songs from her new album.

Last edited by big whoppa; 03-26-03 at 08:44 AM.
Old 03-26-03, 09:08 AM

Originally posted by big whoppa
Yeah, I consider that expensive. Anything above $50 is rather expensive in my book. I thought Vegas shows were supposed to be inexpensive. Celine's making money hand over fist.

I definitely wouldn't go. The only decent song last night was Celine's own "Love Can Move Mountains." I do like that she went more uptempo in the first couple of songs from her new album.
There are a few quality inexpensive Las Vegas shows, but most good ones are expensive:
"O" : $110
Mystere: $85
Danny Gans: $90
Seigfried and Roy: $100
etc etc

But Celine is the top ticket price now that I know of.
And after seeing her dressing room there I know where the money is going! She has her own parking garage there, and at her house she has a butler AND a house manager and a chef.
Now she leaves for Caesars from her house, which is probably about 20 minutes away. AND GUESS WHAT..........
yup, the butler and chef etc race over there to Caesars to beat her there so they are there to great her.
You walk into her "dressing room", and guess what,
you basically see her EXACT HOUSE replicated, same dining room (she has TWO in the dressing room!?) exactly setup like her house, same living room furniture, everything.
Her reason: "She wants her kid and husband to 'feel at home'".

I know some stars get great treatment from venues they are performing at. However, I was just suprised at the length Caesars went to to satisfy her.
Old 03-26-03, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
This sounds like a losing proposition for Caesars. People who are willing to drop top dollar for such tickets are not the type who gamble in Caesars, especially with Bellagio right next door and Mirage and Venetian just up the Strip. I just can't see them either going to restaurant in Caesars before a show nor gambling in Caesars after a show.
Old 03-26-03, 09:24 AM

Thank God she is out of Canada.
Old 03-26-03, 10:07 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I must have dozed off during the special, jeez those commercials really ruined the rhythm of the show.
Old 03-26-03, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This show was the funniest thing I'd seen in AGES. I couldn't stop laughing. I find her so hilarious. Best thing I've watched in weeks (not kidding!)