Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

mouse & kb VS console controller for FPS games

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-03, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mouse & kb VS console controller for FPS games

i had a huge (friendly ) argument with 2 friends about this tonight. we were talking about halo because we had just finished playing it. i was telling them about quake 1, 2, & 3 and saying how mouse and kb were far superior for precision control. they felt that console controller was far superior for them. maybe it was because i had been playing quake for so long that i couldn't get used to the joystick controls on the xbox. anyhow, i strongly feel that the best console controller player wouldn't have a chance against someone who was even halfway decent with a mouse/kb.

so i was wondering if anyone knows if splinter cell will be able to be played across platforms once when it comes out for the PC as well? i am interested because we're going to conduct a little test about my theory if it's going to be possible.

to me, i didn't think there was any question. i thought that anyone who had used a mouse/kb and mastered it, would NEVER ever prefer a console controller. is there anyone else who has tried both and prefers the console controllers for FPS games???
Old 03-24-03, 08:55 AM

I think it depends on what you grew up playing with. I love the controllers but hate using the keyboard and mouse. I have also had the same disagreement with a few of my friends but only the other way around. I don't think there really is a better way or quicker way to play. Its what your comfortable with.
Old 03-24-03, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I play like a n00b on console's when playing FPS's with the controller but with the PC Keyboard/Mouse combo online I get called a "cheater" I play so well.
Old 03-24-03, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the KB/M combo is the best for FPS, but Splinter Cell is 3rd Person and better suited to console controllers IMHO.
Old 03-24-03, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the same disagreement with a friend of mine. I am strictly a console player and he is a PC player. After putting some time into a keyboard/mouse, I started to see how it was easier to control the shooting but not so much the moving of my character. I still like console playing more as I am used to it.
Old 03-24-03, 01:26 PM
Cool New Member

I think its a no brainer that KB/M is far more accurate and easier then controller.
HALO is one of the only console FPS I've played that works well on controller. The worst was Quake 3 on DC.
Old 03-24-03, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

so does anyone know if splinter cell will work online across platforms? PC vs Xbox?
Old 03-24-03, 03:23 PM
Banned

KB/M is the most precise way to play a FPS, especially when speed is key. It takes a lot longer, in terms of real time speed, to aim the crosshairs with a controller than with a mouse. As I understand it, in Halo, the enemies actions are slowed down in order to give you time to aim. I don't like the idea of retarded enemies. With a mouse and keyboard, you just aim, and shoot as quick as you could do in the real situation.
Old 03-24-03, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Coming from a PC background, the mouse and keyboard combo is the only way to play FPS's. I had the hardest time controlling Halo with the XBox controller.

That said, Metroid Prime had the best controls of any FPS on a console I've played so far.
Old 03-25-03, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Most FPS were designed to be played with a keyboard and mouse. Controllers not only limit your aiming speed but there are never enough buttons. On a PC for instance to load the map I hit M. With a controller its hit the open inventory button, scroll through items, select map and exit inventory and forget about selecting a specific weapon quickly.
Old 03-25-03, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
For me it depends on the game. For pure shooters like UT, Q3 or SOF it's mouse+kb. But for hybrid or 3rd person shooters, like Jedi Knight 2, Max Payne or Heretic II (where is the sequel to this damn fine, and IMO best 3rd person game ever???).

With straight shooters you can't beat the accuracy of mouse+kb. But in saber mode for JK2 I much prefered the control of a dual analog set-up. It's easier, IMO, to do all thos backflips and crazy jumps with a pad.

I did love beating up on all those contoller using Q3A players with my mouse+kb on the Dreamcast!!
Old 03-25-03, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,032 Posts
There is no way that a joystick could be as fast as a mouse.

Maybe you can control it better. That varies from person to person. But the control is completely different.

Just think about it. In a PC FPS, moving the mouse to the left and stopping makes your character turn to the left and stop. One smooth motion. With a joystick, you have to move the joystick to the left, stop, and then move it back to center to get the character to stop. An extra motion.

Granted, I'm talking fractions of a second here, but it makes all the difference in the world when speed is key.
Old 03-25-03, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by hahn
so does anyone know if splinter cell will work online across platforms? PC vs Xbox?
What do you mean? Splinter Cell is a single player game.
Old 03-25-03, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by karnblack
What do you mean? Splinter Cell is a single player game.
Yeah, I just found that out. I'd like to know if there are any multiplayer FPS games that will come out across platforms that will be able to be played across platforms.
Old 03-25-03, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Yeah, I just found that out. I'd like to know if there are any multiplayer FPS games that will come out across platforms that will be able to be played across platforms.
Various companies have "promised" that for a number of years. I think there are still too many limitations.
Old 03-25-03, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
most likely not. There won't be. Only possible thing I can see is maybe some mmorpg type of game, but still not likely. Not this generation at least.

Mouse/Keyboard is the best way to control FPS games. The best console/controller player versus the best KB/Mouse player would always go to the KB/Mouse guy I think... However, I'm pretty damn good with a KB/Mouse at FPS games, but I think if I played against the best console players I'd lose. The gap between them isn't as large as one might think. The Mouse owns for aiming over the analog stick, but the analog stick is better for character movement. Other functions such as jumping, crouching and opening doors are a toss-up. Switching weapons is heaps easier with a mousewheel. KB/Mouse has a definite edge (not to mention that FPS games are just better on PC with better graphics, higher resolutions, and better level design (look at Unreal Tournament 2 vs Unreal Championship)) over console/controller... the Xbox controller is definitely a FPSer's best friend though.
Old 03-25-03, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Draven

Just think about it. In a PC FPS, moving the mouse to the left and stopping makes your character turn to the left and stop. One smooth motion. With a joystick, you have to move the joystick to the left, stop, and then move it back to center to get the character to stop. An extra motion.
You're getting there, but the real advantage is precision aiming. If you're moving the crosshairs left, and go to far, you need only reverse direction on the mouse. On the joystick, you have to move the joystick through the center to go right. It's slower.
Old 03-25-03, 06:34 PM

the best is actually a mouse and another device such as the claw or nostromo n50 speedpad. Mine broke after a yera of playing waiting for it to go down in price
Old 03-25-03, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's a question of speed and control to me which is why I much prefer the mouse. My left mouse shoots, right alternates, the 2 side buttons lean and the middle is the use key. Even so, I use the keyboard for movement and I prefer it.

Controller is slow and bulky, you can't move the cursor exactly where you want which is why a lot of console games have 'auto-aim'.

Ideally, it's mouse and if the term is correct, speedpad (I'm thinking the thing with only 8 to 12 buttons that your hand fits over, kind of like the portable keypads that you can get for laptops.)
Old 03-26-03, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Draven
Various companies have "promised" that for a number of years. I think there are still too many limitations.
I don't see where the limitations would be. If you have the same maps and graphics engine, all you're really doing is sending coordinates and weapons fire events. If the game design is the same, these shouldn't even need to be "translated". I would think this would be ESPECIALLY true with XBox and PC games since, let's face it, the Xbox is essentially a PC dressed as a console.

Anyone know anything more specifically about what problems there might be?
Old 03-26-03, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by drexel
the best is actually a mouse and another device such as the claw or nostromo n50 speedpad. Mine broke after a yera of playing waiting for it to go down in price
I was wondering about this. I got the Microsoft Strategic Commander controller last year when they were offering it for free at CompUSA (AR). I STILL haven't opened the packaging (hey, it was free!), but was wondering if I could customize the buttons and controllers to be used in FPS games. Anyone tried it?