Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Trying again Terminator 2 first release DVD quality.

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-03, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

I tried to resurrect an older thread but it got zapped into the twilight zone. Can someone pop in the old T2 barebones disc and let me know how the picture quality has held up? Doesn't have to be perfect, just 16x9 and reasonably good.

thanks
Old 03-21-03, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Artisan Entertainment (formerly known as Live Entertainment) brings us T2 in it's original aspect ratio of 2.35:1 (and anamorphic as well). This isn't the director's cut of the film, which would have been ideal, but I don't find it too hard to look past that. The quality of the video transfer is definitely impressive. Is it top notch. Well, not exactly, there is a slight amount of grain to be found, and the sharpness is not exactly up to the standard of what I would like to see. Nevertheless, the blacks are deep and dark, and the color is right on the money. Considering the fact that this one of the earlier DVD's produced, in fact it was the first commercial dual-layered RSDL disc, it really does impress me. Now studios have become more skilled at authoring these beautiful transfers, but this transfer holds up extremely well in comparison. Basically, I was extremely pleased overall with the transfer.
Old 03-22-03, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thank you. Just what I wanted to hear.

And first base ain't always bad. I've been married for about 7 years, and I've come to appreciate a bit of lingering on first base.
Old 03-23-03, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Milo, just curious, why would you want the original DVD?
Old 03-27-03, 01:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would want the original for the DVS track. Not that many dvds have a DVS track on them.
Old 03-27-03, 04:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...very likely a dumb question: what does "DVS" stand for...?...

. . .
Old 03-27-03, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think that DVS is a movie for the visually impaired track. My friend showed me his T2 Barebones before, and with a special audio track, a narrator would describe all of the action going on. Pretty funny and wild stuff actually.
Old 03-27-03, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...ahh... I see... I have a couple of those on (UK) R2 DVDs, including "House Of Mirth" and "The War Zone"- actually, it's done very nicely, sort of like a radio play (anyone remember those!?!), with a narrator describing/relating what's happening on-screen, while the original soundtrack comes in whenever there's dialog...

. . .
Old 03-27-03, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Believe it or not, the original Basic Instinct DVD has a DVS track. That must be quite a listen!
Old 03-27-03, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The first and second T2 release had essentially the same transfer, right?
Old 03-29-03, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The DVS track is one reason. The other would be the bizarro collector mentality I have. I've never picked up any of the T2 DVDs so far, but the news of a Cameron commentary has me very interested. But it would only be the Director's cut. The first T2 release has the theatrical cut, and the DVS. The Ultimate Edition would have two of the cuts, but I've heard of problems with the DTS track and edge enhancement issues. So I get the first and third editions and I'm set.

So mostly the bizarro collector mentality.

And the DVS track on Basic Instinct is a hoot. I got that DVD as one of my five free back in the day, and I found the icepick case unrated version cheap, so I kept both.
Old 03-29-03, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by milo bloom
The Ultimate Edition would have two of the cuts, but I've heard of problems with the DTS track and edge enhancement issues.
I'm pretty sure the original DVD has similar edge enhancement issues to the UE. So far, every video copy of the movie I've ever seen has been plagued by edge enhancement. I am trying to remain cautiously optimistic about the "Extreme Edition".
Old 03-30-03, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Plus the Ultimate Edition has the hidden third edition of the film with an extended cut of the movie and alternate ending.
Old 03-31-03, 01:52 AM

if you are concerned about the commentary for the blind. why are you concerned about the video quality?
Old 04-03-03, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by xroq1x
if you are concerned about the commentary for the blind. why are you concerned about the video quality?

I'm not vision impaired, it's the bizarro collector mentality I mentioned before