Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

The fun got in the way...

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-03, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm concerned. It appears that today the Other Forum was fun.

Here we are, at the beginning of a war, and Other was overwhelmed with jocularity, mundanity, and just plain outright guffawing.

I'm sure that tomorrow, given the war just began, that we will be back to bickering, debating, and politicizing our viewpoints and beliefs and trying to inflict them on others, so at least this is short term.

But, shouldn't we be concerned that the fun might return to Other once again? What can we do about this?
Old 03-19-03, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too am concerned about this. It has caused me to consider coming around more often.
Old 03-19-03, 10:59 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Not that it wasn't fun, but I'd call the subject of this thread fairly disingenuous given that the "fun" was essentially a self-indulgent coordinated assault by a particular group of people.

Those people could have been here posting all along.
Old 03-19-03, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by X
Not that it wasn't fun, but I'd call the subject of this thread fairly disingenuous given that the "fun" was essentially a self-indulgent coordinated assault by a particular group of people.

What is this "assault" you speak of?

-k
###
Old 03-19-03, 11:07 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh, come on, X... why the resistance?
Old 03-19-03, 11:27 PM
X
Administrator

Originally posted by Static Cling
Oh, come on, X... why the resistance?
That's what I was wondering. Seems the resistance could have always been there.
Old 03-19-03, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is this the ebb and flow thing in action? You mean people actually cause it?
Old 03-20-03, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
You mean you guys are all real?

I thought I was just interacting with some botts.

sheesh.

-k
###
Old 03-20-03, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by X

Those people could have been here posting all along.
It was what one might call a "surgical strike."
Old 03-20-03, 08:48 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
We are here every day, but it took a "self-indulgent coordinated assault" to push back the self-indulgent political bickering, temporarily. It shouldn't take such effort, but hopefully people will once again see that the forum doesn't have to be rife with snide comments and backbiting. I'm sure with the war now on that political threads will take center stage again, but hopefully it will ebb, or flo as the case may be, to a more balanced ratio of serious/political to lighter threads.

BTW - is there anything about Other that isn't self-indulgent?
Old 03-20-03, 09:07 AM
X
Administrator

Being here and posting are two different things.

Now what was different about yesterday...

That more people posted about non-political subjects
or
the political posters decided for just that one day to not do their "bickering"?
Old 03-20-03, 09:29 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
I hear you, X. It was the former.

And I know the forum is what we make of it.

It's hard being responsible for bringing the fun, but I can handle it.
Old 03-20-03, 09:59 AM
X
Administrator

Thank you!

You've made me much more optimistic about the future quality of Other.
Old 03-20-03, 11:11 AM
Arse Member

Originally posted by Bandoman
It's hard being responsible for bringing the fun, but I can handle it.
We're doomed
Old 03-20-03, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Damn_you people and your self indulgent posts and threads. I am not entertained!
Old 03-20-03, 11:32 AM
X
Administrator

I didn't think the posts and threads were self-indulgent. Just that the coordinated assault was.

I just wish people could post more fun stuff without having to coordinate it. Because it won't take long for the coordination to grow tiresome and things will go back to the way they were.
Old 03-20-03, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
A few comments --

The fun was back yesterday, sure. But it wasn't easy. It took a *lot* of posting by several users -- more than usual -- just to keep the fun threads on the main page and keep them from dropping off the radar within an hour.

This can't be a regular occurance, given that we all have other daytime responsibilities to take care of, you know.. so we can pay bills and stuff. And because it took an extra-special effort in the first place just to keep the "fun" on the page, "fun" is not something that will regularly occur if we just normally posted.

Perhaps the community aspect of Other died when Mohammad Atta and his jackass buddies decide to fly some planes a year and a half ago. Ever since then the political tension has done nothing short of shooting through the roof and sadly, the community feel that the Other forum had is slowly turning into a memory.

Is this the moderators' and administrators' fault. Not entirely. Certainly the world in general is more politically-aware than it was two years ago. However, the continued allowance of a few members' posting privileges in these political threads in combination with the fact that the moderators allow half the forum to be focused on one central topic has resulted in nothing but a negative vibe on this forum as an onslaught of personal attacks thinly veiled as political arguments continues to go untouched. Meanwhile, the people that were here for the fun (and there's really more than you think -- there are only a few who choose to sound their voices about it) have either traveled to other lands or are currently building a life raft to try to find a remote island on the internet.
Old 03-20-03, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by El Scorcho
A few comments --

The fun was back yesterday, sure. But it wasn't easy. It took a *lot* of posting by several users -- more than usual -- just to keep the fun threads on the main page and keep them from dropping off the radar within an hour.

This can't be a regular occurance, given that we all have other daytime responsibilities to take care of, you know.. so we can pay bills and stuff. And because it took an extra-special effort in the first place just to keep the "fun" on the page, "fun" is not something that will regularly occur if we just normally posted.

Perhaps the community aspect of Other died when Mohammad Atta and his jackass buddies decide to fly some planes a year and a half ago. Ever since then the political tension has done nothing short of shooting through the roof and sadly, the community feel that the Other forum had is slowly turning into a memory.

Is this the moderators' and administrators' fault. Not entirely. Certainly the world in general is more politically-aware than it was two years ago. However, the continued allowance of a few members' posting privileges in these political threads in combination with the fact that the moderators allow half the forum to be focused on one central topic has resulted in nothing but a negative vibe on this forum as an onslaught of personal attacks thinly veiled as political arguments continues to go untouched. Meanwhile, the people that were here for the fun (and there's really more than you think -- there are only a few who choose to sound their voices about it) have either traveled to other lands or are currently building a life raft to try to find a remote island on the internet.

Perfectly put.
Nice Job, ES.
Old 03-20-03, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

A few responses...

Anyone that knows me, knows that I like the humor in other. It's why I hung around. I hate the political threads. I dislike the debates. I tend to never read those threads.

But Other does not exist for one type of user and not another. We have had times in the past where the level of political threads have increased (no surprise, before and around the presidential election). We have had times when the number of threads that were silly or fun seemed to overtake the forum...and we have had users complain that the forum has become too banal.

Now is the tide moving towards political lately? Of course. But shouldn't that be expected at this moment in time? Even other forums I am on, seem to have a lot more threads about the war. Is this a permament change? No. Should we create a temporary subforum? Maybe.

However, the continued allowance of a few members' posting privileges in these political threads in combination with the fact that the moderators allow half the forum to be focused on one central topic has resulted in nothing but a negative vibe on this forum as an onslaught of personal attacks thinly veiled as political arguments continues to go untouched.
You know, it's funny how the smallest thing the mods do will get analyzed to death and people will bring up how there was no specific written rules, etc. Because some people dislike debates or political threads, you would have the mods ban or suspend people? Do certain people skirt the rules by making snide remarks and such? Of course. These are not dumb people. They have an idea where the rules lie and they post inside those rules. But because you dislike their threads, we should take action? We do indeed warn people. We have closed threads. We have deleted posts. Most of the time, you will not even be aware that action was taken.

And we do combine threads, but most of the threads are not about the same thing. I can see someone that likes the political debate demanding the mods combine all the silly, poll, banal,, shaggy threads into one. It's not going to happen.
Old 03-20-03, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 578 Likes on 417 Posts
Originally posted by El Scorcho
A few comments --

ES being all serious and ****. Wow, SEE WHAT YOU MADE HIM DO!!! Oh the humanity!

But seriously , as Bando pointed out, we are here every day, and we do post. But Other becomes overwhelming in its current form, and as ES pointed out, it took an overwhelming amount of effort to make it fun.

I always liked political threads here, but to say they haven't changed or that it's ebb and flow is a little absurd, IMO. I rarely participate now because they get so ugly, and people are so mean. No, it's not that my skin is too thin, or that I get upset. It just has ceased to be fun because of it. And it's infecting a lot of members who I used to be able to have fun with, regardless of our differences of opinion.

And it takes too much damn_work to bring the fun all the time.

Besides, that's Bando's job!
Old 03-20-03, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Am I Hot or Not: Cartoon edition! ( 1 2 3 ) minifigg 66 711 03-20-03 10:12 AM
by Simpson Purist

I think I got to first base tonight! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ) Rypro 525 102 1945 03-20-03 10:12 AM
by El Scorcho

[The one and only Peace thread] ( 1 2 3 ) wz42 62 594 03-20-03 10:11 AM
by minifigg

"No Blood For Oil!" B5Erik 15 165 03-20-03 10:11 AM
by Goblincat

Spin-off thread - What board games do you have in your closet? Billy Madison 7 28 03-20-03 10:10 AM
by Liver&Onions

Breaking News: The "President" Just Spoke ( 1 2 ) AndyCapps 26 378 03-20-03 10:10 AM
by Thor Simpson

Did the WAR just start? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last page ) heimerSWT 285 4289 03-20-03 10:10 AM
by OldDude

You can handle things here without me for a while, can't you? Bandoman 10 78 03-20-03 10:09 AM
by minifigg

I found out I'm pregnant ( 1 2 ) Dave99 26 411 03-20-03 10:09 AM
by thejammy

Sen. Byrd: "Arrogance of Power" ( 1 2 3 ) DarkElf 52 524 03-20-03 10:07 AM
by Duran

Embedded reporters ChiTownAbs 2 33 03-20-03 10:06 AM
by Billy Madison

I will let it go.... kvrdave 10 175 03-20-03 10:02 AM
by weargle

So who plans to stay up all night to watch war coverage? ( 1 2 ) Phil L. 25 272 03-20-03 10:00 AM
by D.Pham00

Shuttle's data recorder found intact thejammy 4 78 03-20-03 09:58 AM
by Foole

Why USA thinks they can do anything? ( 1 2 ) DVD_fan 28 320 03-20-03 09:57 AM
by Daytripper

Poll: Was the man who addressed the Iraqi people Saddam or a double? kvrdave 15 195 03-20-03 09:55 AM
by Brian Shannon

The Cat Thread! How many/what kind of cats do you wear? ( 1 2 ) Bandoman 47 354 03-20-03 09:54 AM
by woofman

So I sent my oldest son to bfrank's for the weekend... kvrdave 8 96 03-20-03 09:49 AM
by bfrank

Did We Kill Saddam ? ( 1 2 3 ) Struz 60 1007 03-20-03 09:48 AM
by X

Can I get a wha wha? ( 1 2 ) jaDaisyDuke 31 240 03-20-03 09:48 AM
by RoQuEr

My Hot Water Heater JasonFliegel 0 13 03-20-03 09:48 AM
by JasonFliegel

Post your favorite street signs here! ( 1 2 ) goofee girl 31 286 03-20-03 09:46 AM
by tanman

War Updates: Ground War Beginning chanster 2 86 03-20-03 09:41 AM
by nemein

No Love for the U.N. Ginsu 4 90 03-20-03 09:40 AM
by Tuan Jim

Flight Attendant Allegedly Spikes Kid's Juice To Stop Crying ( 1 2 3 ) mrpayroll 60 793 03-20-03 09:40 AM
by Chrisedge

Do you prepare your own tax returns? Bandoman 23 113 03-20-03 09:37 AM
by Wizdar

What is your favorite dessert? ( 1 2 ) squidget 25 138 03-20-03 09:33 AM
by RoQuEr

Space pic: ***SPECIAL*** Pale Blue Dot Foole 5 102 03-20-03 09:33 AM
by Professor Frink

The Mullet Appreciation Thread ( 1 2 ) Boot 25 240 03-20-03 09:21 AM
by hgar78

Most Embarrassing Moments Buttmunker 5 80 03-20-03 09:14 AM
by Mole177

What's your favorite board game? ( 1 2 ) goofee girl 37 224 03-20-03 09:11 AM
by Billy Madison

What's your cure for mild malaise? sfsdfd 3 29 03-20-03 09:08 AM
by RandyC

Shiny Happy Critters (pics) mllefoo 14 168 03-20-03 09:03 AM
by Eeyore

Pictures of Tomahawk Missile attack over Iraq just coming in! [pics inside!!!!] ( 1 2 ) Keyser Soze 33 558 03-20-03 09:03 AM
by tanman
Old 03-20-03, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Those were the threads on the front page of Other right now. The red ones are the ones related to politics or the war. The other non-red ones are not political or war related. Some of these are hold overs from yesterday, but look at the names of who started the threads and it includes a lot of people not involved in a concerted effort.
Old 03-20-03, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Randy you forgot to highlight:

The Peace Thread
Embedded Reporters
I Will Let It Go...

And at least half of the threads are holdovers from yesterday, so it's impossible to really make a judgment on this until the forum stabilizes into its normal routine again. Take a look in the 100+ political forum thread on the feedback page. I posted several times how many threads were political at a given moment. The least was 13/36 and the most was 19/36. This was before war even began.

I do believe that the forum needs to be balanced. I don't want an all-banal forum either. But I think the thing that pisses the users off is that you have one topic dominating half the forum and will continue to do so throughout the war and we get thrown the ebb and flow excuse at us time and time again. Ebb and flow works in times like the presidential elections and the 9/11 attacks since they are major current events that are not long-term events. War is long-term. This war will not be over any time soon. Why not make a temporary political sub-forum?
Old 03-20-03, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I didn't forget. But some threads are more borderline or hijacked by the funny. I checked embedded reporters and it's not really political, it asks a question about reporters and then veered into small vietname men embedded in one's anus.

The "I will let it go" is not really a political thread. Most of it is joking about kvrdave.

I didn't think the peace thread was about war really. But it seems to have been deleted, so who knows?

I am not arguing against a subforum. I think one is a good idea. I am only explaining why the ebb and flow thing is still at work.

I think a true representation of recent weeks is that about 50% of the threads were war or political. Whether that is too much will depend on your perspective.
Old 03-20-03, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by RandyC

I think a true representation of recent weeks is that about 50% of the threads were war or political. Whether that is too much will depend on your perspective.
Did topics about books ever take up 50% of the forum back in the day?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.