Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

I agree with Dustin Hoffman about "Moonlight Mile"

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-03, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Just saw the film on DVD, and I agree 100% with Dustin Hoffman. I don't think Disney gave this film the push it should have. Not that I think it would have been a huge box-office hit or anything, but it deserved so much more than it got. I thought this was great little film. And every performance was terrific. I hope if finds an audience on video. Thumbs up!

And no, I don't work for Disney, Dustin Hoffman or Blockbuster.
Old 03-19-03, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The film wasn't very good, but the performances were.

Hoffman should be yelling at brad siberling for making such a perfunctory movie.
Old 03-19-03, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I liked the movie, but I think his complaints are kind of bogus. Some movies are not big sellers and no matter how much you market it, they won't sell. It doesn't mean the movies are bad. The Pianist, The Hours, and Gangs of New York aren't exactly raking it in and they have big name stars (well two of them do) and have the benefit of the Ocsar Nominee label.

Many people ignore good movies for whatever reason and pooring huge amounts of money into was not worth it financially. it may have increased the box office a little bit, but it would not have be a good return on their investment. Sometimes movies, even good ones, don't make that much money at no fault of the studio.

And from the studio's point of view, it's risk reward kind of thing. Sure, every once in a while a small movie hits it big like My Big Fat Greek Wedding, but most of them do not hit it big. Hell, MBFGW didn't exactly have promotion behind it either and it did well. Maybe the movie will find a much larger audience on DVD/VHS. But I wouldn't hold my breath.
Old 03-20-03, 12:58 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I disagree w/ Hoffmans complaint on the simple grounds that I saw a S#%* load of commercials for this movie the week before it came out. I saw more commercials for Moonlight Mile than I did for Chicago or the Pianist before thier opening weekend
Old 03-20-03, 02:03 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally posted by Pants
I disagree w/ Hoffmans complaint on the simple grounds that I saw a S#%* load of commercials for this movie the week before it came out. I saw more commercials for Moonlight Mile than I did for Chicago or the Pianist before thier opening weekend
I don't know about Chicago, but it did have alot more commercials then the Pianist. I still remember seeing a lot of commercials for Moonlight Mile.
Old 03-20-03, 08:50 PM
Banned

Hey there.

I saw the film in the theatre and I wanted to like it more than I did.
Like someone else said, the performances were good but it was missing something. Maybe it wasnt as OPrdinary People as I wanted it to be. It didnt affect me as much as I had hoped.

Jakes great though.
Old 03-20-03, 09:13 PM
Banned

If the movie was good enough people would of saw it. Its that simple.
Old 03-20-03, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Considering that this movie doesn't have unianimous, loving support from critics and people around the world, I tend to think Dustin Hoffman is...well...wrong. Looking at the story of this movie and the setting, I can see that it just wouldn't be that big of a box office hit. And as someone said before, risk reward. While there is the potential it could hit big, when the chances of that happening regarding the subject matter are not that large, why risk it and sink your money into it? I mean, I saw a lot of commercials. What was Disney supposed to do? Put this in 4000 theaters with a 50 million dollar marketing push? That would be dumb. In this world, movie quality is not the only measure of how much money should be spent on a movie.
Old 03-20-03, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by lesterlong
There are three grammatical errors (four if you believe in the subjunctive) and one factual error in that statement.

Plenty of fine films are box office bombs.

Moonlight Mile (IMO) was not a great movie but it was very good and it had great performances that were totally overlooked because the movie was overlooked. I'll take this film over many recent overly praised films (IMO) such as The Hours, In the Bedroom, Adaptation and Monster's Ball.

Last edited by movielib; 03-21-03 at 05:27 PM.
Old 03-21-03, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by movielib
There are three grammatical errors (four if you believe in the subjunctive) and one factual error in that statement.

Plenty of fine films are box office bombs.

Mooklight Mile (IMO) was not a great movie but it was very good and it had great performances that were totally overlooked because the movie was overlooked. I'll take this film over many recent overly praised films (IMO) such as The Hours, In the Bedroom, Adaptation and Monster's Ball.
THANK YOU! Me too (taking this over the movies you mentioned). Perhaps when I rated this movie "great", I went a little overboard. I enjoyed every minute of it. And loved the performances. I'd give it a solid *** 1/2 out of ****.

And about this film be advertised more than "Chicago" and "The Pianist"? Not on my city. And I live in D.C. I saw one preview for "Mile" in the theatres, and one on television. "Chicago" and "The Pianist"? Several a day.
Old 03-21-03, 03:16 PM
Banned

I've never seen a commercial for The Pianist in my area, however, I did see a few for Moonlight Mile. Even if movies don't get the commercial buzz, they should still sell by word-of-mouth. And there wasn't any good word-of-mouth. An actor should never blame a studio for not promoting their movie, it was a released and not received well. That's it. Move on to another project.
Old 03-21-03, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've never seen a commercial for The Pianist in my area, however, I did see a few for Moonlight Mile. Even if movies don't get the commercial buzz, they should still sell by word-of-mouth. And there wasn't any good word-of-mouth. An actor should never blame a studio for not promoting their movie, it was a released and not received well. That's it. Move on to another project.
Why shouldn't an actor blame a studio for not pushing his or her movie? Recording artists do it all the time with their labels. And rightly so. Just ask Aimee Mann as one example. If I were an actor and I felt I turned in a decent performance, and the studio did nothing to support the film, I would be pissed off. Sure, it's not like Dustin Hoffman or Susan Sarrandon need the exposure or a hit with every single movie. I'm talking in general. Look what happened to "Donnie Darko". I **totally** blame it's studio for killing that movie's chances in the theatres. It was word of mouth that made that such a smash and instant cult classic when it hit video.
Old 03-21-03, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

loved the film. it's a shame it didn't find the audience it deserved at the theaters.
Old 03-21-03, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Daytripper
THANK YOU! Me too (taking this over the movies you mentioned). Perhaps when I rated this movie "great", I went a little overboard. I enjoyed every minute of it. And loved the performances. I'd give it a solid *** 1/2 out of ****.
I give it ***½ out of **** also.
Old 03-21-03, 05:51 PM
Banned

I disagree with Lester.
There are allot of movies that deserve to be bigger hits like Billy Elliott and You Can Count on me and the same can be said for all the really bad movies that make a 100 million dollars and dont deserve to make more than 5 million.
Old 04-12-03, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I absolutely loved this film...just saw it tonight as a rental and it will be on my shelf soon enough. Outstanding performances all around and an entirely realistic and genuine feel to every scene. These were real people on screen.....one of the best of 2002 without a doubt.
Old 04-12-03, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by warpcorebreach
Jakes great though.
As he should be. It's only like his fourth movie in a row playing an emotionally disturbed young man.
Old 04-12-03, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
yet he still hasn't fully erased the evil that was the Bubble Boy from my memory banks....

seriously though, emotionally 'disturbed' is a tad harsh for this role dontchya think?
Old 04-12-03, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Would emotionally troubled suit you better?
Old 04-14-03, 07:11 PM
Banned

By that same standard, XXX is an infinitely better movie than most of what came out in 2002.
Old 04-14-03, 07:46 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If only they replaced the word 'Moonlight' with the number '8' they might've had a hit...