Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Release date question

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Release date question

Old 03-19-03, 11:26 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Release date question

What constitutes or defines the release date of a film. If for example a movie is completed and is featured on the end credits as 2001, but then released in film festivals in 2002 and then eventually commercially released in 2003. What year is this film untimately denoted as?
Old 03-19-03, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Myself, I go by the copyright date commonly found in the credits of many films. You get a copyright when the product is completed, regardless of distribution or screening schedules. Even the smallest films usually have a © and date followed by [name of film], LLC (which I have no idea what that designates).

Such as "ivansxtc." which saw a small release last year, but had a 1999 copyright. So I consider it a '99 film. Then there's "Croupier" as a more popular example.

As for the ones I come across without any date, or don't use western number characters (such as Iranian films) I'm at the mercy of gathering that info from that specific theater's own listings or the more reputable critics. I use imdb as a last resort.

Films can go through so many channels of viewings that the copyright is the only constant that will remain with the work itself. That's my opinion, anyway.