Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Good Deal for DVDTalkers in NYC

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-03, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good Deal for DVDTalkers in NYC

There was another thread in the DVD Bargains forum about some street vendors downtown selling games cheap. Well, finally some have moved into my neck of the woods!

On the NW and SW corners of 32nd and 6th Ave, for the past week there have been tables of used Gamecube, XBox, and PS2 titles for $20 each. Some aren't such good deals - they did have a fair amount of older titles and PS2 Greatest Hit titles. But there are a lot of gems to be had. Such titles like:

Tiger Woods 2003 (All)
Timesplitters (All)
Spiderman (All)
Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (I saw it for XBox last week, didn't catch it for the other consoles)
Panzer Dragoon Orta (XBox)
Medal of Honor: Frontline (All)
Phantasy Star Online (GC)
Madden 2003 (All)
NCAA Football 2003, NCAA Football 2K3 (All)
NBA 2K3 (GC)
GTA: Vice City (PS2)
007: Nightfire (All)

You can open most titles right there to check for manuals and disc condition. In the titles I looked at, the discs are all mint but some were missing manuals.

They also had a lot of GBA titles and I saw one N64 title (Tony Hawk) not on the table, so I don't know what the going price for those are. About a month ago they were out there selling PSX and DC titles for cheap, now it's all next-gen consoles.

I never noticed them on both sides of the street, I think they just started that today. But they've been out there in the mornings (around 8:30AM) and in the evenings (4:30-5:00 PM) every day this week. For those interested, take the 1/9/2/3 line up to 34th street and exit on 32nd St, then just walk over to 6th Ave and you'll see the mob of people.

For $20 each, there are some great deals. I didn't see anything too new, but it looks like they are getting in new stock every day.

Good luck!

Jeremy
Old 03-19-03, 08:16 AM

Jeremy, where exactly are these guys located? I visited that spot (since my PATH train takes me right to 32nd/6th) this morning at about 8:45 and there was no one there, just a guy at a table selling clothes. I looked on the corners you mentioned - on the side of Manhattan Mall and across the street (down the street from Game Express).
Old 03-19-03, 08:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I actually saw that on 48th Street between 5th and 6th Ave last week. I wonder if it is the same guy, because he is not here this week.
Old 03-19-03, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

rarebucky - you are right he wasn't there this morning. It was the same as yesterday - he wasn't there in the morning but then showed up with two tables stacked with games in the evening, around 5:00 PM. Last Thursday and Friday they were there both morning and evening. I'd say swing by this evening to check. BTW, yesterday they had one table on the Manhattan Mall side, the other on the side of the American Burger Company (or whatever that burger joint is called).

ottolam - that's interesting. Is he usually there on 48th? Maybe they switch off, or maybe they moved to get better business. I saw them once before Thursday, and they've been here ever since.

Jeremy
Old 03-19-03, 12:16 PM

I saw this guys after 5pm on monday. They had two full tables of games for all of the systems. I really did not get a good look at the games because I was in a hurry. But it looks like all of this games were stolen. They had around 6 guys around the table helping people and at the same time looking out for the cops.
Old 03-19-03, 12:25 PM

wait, you mean that a couple of guys who look like they couldn't afford a PS2, are selling games at half price on the side of a manhattan street with no set schedule, and you think they're stolen?

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Old 03-19-03, 01:16 PM

They had a really long thread about these guys on the bargains thread. They had some great dvd bargains when they started.

I was just there today, I picked up smb2 for gc. It has some funky stickers on the back so I need a replacement case, anyone knows where to get one?
Old 03-19-03, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by zerotl
They had a really long thread about these guys on the bargains thread. They had some great dvd bargains when they started.

I was just there today, I picked up smb2 for gc. It has some funky stickers on the back so I need a replacement case, anyone knows where to get one?
Wait, are you talking about the guys at 34th or the guys downtown on Broadway? The downtown guys had new DVDs and games - the midtown guys have just games, only used. There is a guy on the Manhattan mall side I've seen in the morning selling DVD and CD bootlegs, but I think he's different from the game guys.

BTW all the games they have are used - don't know if they are stolen, don't really want to know.

Jeremy

Last edited by jrutz; 03-19-03 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-19-03, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I caught them around 4:30PM, looks like they were closing up for the day. They said come back tomorrow, because they'll be back there. Don't know if that means morning or evening, one corner or two. But they still had more than a few tubs of games left.

Jeremy
Old 03-20-03, 07:00 AM

I was going to buy Jedi Outcast and Dynasty Tactics, until I realized that most if not all of the games were returns to stores. You could tell because some of the games had the return receipts inside (from stores like K-Mart) and others had stickers on the back saying they were returns. I have a feeling a lot of these games are defective and may not work. Anyone want to share their experiences with their game purchases from these guys? BTW, they were there yesterday around 6-6:30 PM and had tons of games.
Old 03-20-03, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's interesting, the few I checked out didn't have those coupons, and the discs themselves were scratch-free.

This morning they were just selling DVD boots on the SW corner, but I did see a couple other characters looking to set up on the other side. I'm going back out after my 9:00 AM meeting to see what they got...

Jeremy
Old 03-20-03, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ran out at 9:20 AM or so, everyone was packed up because of the rain. I don't expect to see them when it picks up later today.

Jeremy