Reload this Page >

Any impressions of Winning 11 Soccer?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 03-18-03, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just wondering if anyone had picked this up for PS2 and could post some impressions. I've heard a lot about it, and I can't wait to see how it plays. I would have picked it up by now, but I live in the middle of nowhere, and as usual, our local Wal-Mart doesn't have it. So is it as good as all the hype? All I have is last year's ESPN MLS Soccer for my XBox, and that's a pretty horrible game for the most part.
Old 03-18-03, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

actually, i totally forgot about this... but it is $40 at best buy and at amazon.

SVTYMGSAVETN - $10 off of $75 at amazon's toy store

--

i couldn't find enough stuff to buy from amazon so i'll probably pick it up at best buy tonight.
Old 03-18-03, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have it and like it very much.
Old 03-18-03, 12:33 PM

I picked it up last week at toys r us (last copy in my area).

its a really great soccer game. I've only played fifa titles. any problems I ever had with the fifa games has been fixed with this game. the controls are real complicated, but if you take the time to learn it, you'll be able to adjust to any situation on the pitch.

I've learned so much more soccer strategy in a weekend of playing this game than I have playing fifa for the past year or so. you start to understand what all your teamates are doing and know how to set them up. if you enjoy the sport, you'll definately love the game
Old 03-19-03, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

well, i played three games yesterday... i lost all three. this is not having read the instructions, not changing any difficulty settings, etc.

note that i've been playing the fifa series pretty much since they started (on the PC). so i'm coming from that point of view.

the graphics are not that great. you know how thin white lines seem to move... there is a ton of that - almost to the point of distraction. this is probably a ps2 limitation.

controls are complicated (especially compared to the fifa series). i could just use pass, shoot and turbo before... maybe a special move. W11, on the other hand, has much more sophisticated controls so the learning curve is much higher.

the commentators are repetitive. when watching the highlights at the end of the game, they just say generic things like, "lets watch that thing... from another angle..."

players are not real... well, i'm not 100% sure b/c i was playing korea vs japan, but i didn't recognize any of the korean players (from the world cup) and the japanese team had a non-japanese player called Santos... can anyone explain that? i know nothing about the japanese team.

--
gameplay wise, imho, it blows fifa away. i watched a replay of a shot that i took (and missed) and as i was watching the ball curve slightly away from the goal, i thought, that looks very real/believable. the physics seemed just right. i woke the wife up b/c when they scored, i sort of yelled out... like i was watching a real game.

--
conclusion: you buy it for the gameplay and so far, it is solid. big thumbs up.