Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

se7ven plot question (spoilers)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-03, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it was on tnt the other night and ive never seen it before, but i caught the last 20-30 minutes or so...i figure seeing it all would help plus i bet they edit out alot on tv (very gory and dark movie), but i have a few questions:

1. was his wifes head really in the box?

2. what did morgan freeman mean when he said if he shoots him he will win? i get that spacey was "envy" but how does vengance work? brad pitt doesnt die.

thanks.
Old 03-17-03, 09:03 PM

1. yeah. the dvd has the extra scenes regarding the ending. though even in the regular version you don't see the head.

2. i am pretty sure that spacy was betting that pitt would get death, though it would be manslaughter at most and that doesn't get death in any state.
Old 03-17-03, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It doesn’t matter if Pitt’s character dies (which, given the circumstances would be extremely unlikely); Spacy wins because Pitt kills him out of vengeance.
Old 03-17-03, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

yea audrey is right...

you guys are thinkin about it all wrong. it doesnt matter what happens to Pitt... the fact that he killed Spacey is what made Spacey the "winner"
Old 03-17-03, 11:34 PM

but spacey's whole deal was punishing those who were the sinners. if pitt was vengeance he was not punished.
Old 03-17-03, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by WiccanPagan
but spacey's whole deal was punishing those who were the sinners. if pitt was vengeance he was not punished.
isn't he already punished because his wife is dead and because he was arrested for killing the suspect?
Old 03-17-03, 11:48 PM

well pitt's punishment doesn't fit the pattern that spacey laid out. he was punishing by death. the fat guy, the lawyer, the prostitute, the vain girl, and the guy who was still kinda alive. they were all punished by death. though the really skinny gross looking guy was a failed attempt.

i do see where you are coming from, though, tofu. i would see the death of my future husband/wife and my unborn child as much more of a punishment than my own death, but it still doesn't fit.
Old 03-17-03, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

thats exactly what i was thinking WP.

pitt wasnt punished because of vengence the same way everyone else was. its just not the same as the other 6.

he was punished out of spaceys 'envy'. but spacey was killed by pitts vengence.
Old 03-18-03, 02:11 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He wasn’t using death at all. His concern was attrition. It was the suffering! Somerset spells that out in the flick!

The fact of wrath (as opposed to envy) being the final one on Doe’s list is irrelevant. His job was done. I mean, could he be sure that “pride” would take the sleeping pills?

This movie is a masterpiece. I forgot Doe’s quote exactly, but: : ”This will be mulled over and talked about for years to come.”

BTW, please watch this uncut (letterboxed if you get a chance).

Last edited by Kudama; 03-18-03 at 02:21 AM.
Old 03-18-03, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
My problem with it is that the wife is an innocent. Doe's whole point was punishing the guilty of the 7 deadly sins. He killed someone that was innocent of the big 7 to punish Pitt, this does not coincide with his MO.
Old 03-18-03, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Cusm
My problem with it is that the wife is an innocent. Doe's whole point was punishing the guilty of the 7 deadly sins. He killed someone that was innocent of the big 7 to punish Pitt, this does not coincide with his MO.
I think it fits perfectly. Tracy is irrelevant—innocent, guilty, or in-between, she does not factor into the equation. Tracy is not being punished; rather, John Doe kills her because he envies David Mills’ life with her, which in turn sets in motion his own punishment via David’s vengeance.
Old 03-18-03, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Cusm
I don't think his point was to punish the guilty of the 7 deadly sins as much as his point is that the world should see how sinful it has become. Since he completed his masterpiece, people from all over the world will be talking about it. As a result, I would guess that people would be much less likely to commit a deadly sin for fear of punishment.
Old 03-18-03, 10:38 AM

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
I doubt any jury would convict Pitt's character of 1st degree murder. They would probably see it as temporary insanity. If ever that defense could be used, this would be the time.
Old 03-18-03, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Pitt wouldn't get convicted of first degree murder, but he would die in jail, that's probably what Spacey's character was counting on. Cops aren't generally well regarded in prison.
Old 03-18-03, 12:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think Pitt's character would even get put in jail. Cops stick together, and they would make a story where it was self-defense or something. If they even had to.
Old 03-18-03, 12:19 PM

I don't think Pitt would have been jailed; I think it more likely he would have been sent to a mental ward somewhere and, if charged and tried for Spacey's death, would have been found inncocent by reason of temporary insanity. At worst he might have been subsequently hospitalized for some relatively short period of time. He saw his wife's head, flipped out. Who wouldn't, especially with the killer there cackling about it?
Old 03-18-03, 01:07 PM

kudama: thanks for that explanation suffering makes much more sense than death as punishment in regard to the movie. it had been a long time since watching the movie and did not recall the bit about the sufering of the victims. regarding suffering, you are dead on, i don't think there is anyone out there that could possibly feel more suffering than pitt's character at the end.

ot, so what about the freeman only sequel?
Old 03-18-03, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,465 Likes on 932 Posts
Let's see: Pitt's wife and unborn child are dead, his career is likely ruined, and his face will be on the evening news for a week and tabloid TV for years.
Old 03-18-03, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts
Originally posted by Dah-Dee
He saw his wife's head, flipped out.
He never saw Tracey's head.. it was all speculation on his part. Somerset and John Doe were the only ones to truly know and he reacted off of their reactions.
Old 03-18-03, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Ok. First, this is just a movie, so it doesn't really have to make perfect sense.

That said, don't forget the John Doe's plans were thrown assunder when he was nearly nabbed by Summerset and Mills, leading him to probably impromise in order to complete the deadly sin leason.