Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

A Clockwork Orange: What happened next? MAJOR SPOILERS!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-03, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,468 Likes on 933 Posts

At the end of the book, Alex realizes that his heros build up, and all he has ever done was tear down. He decides to improve himself. But I'm thinking about the Kubrick movie.

At the end of the movie, Alex has been returned to his old self. The Minister of the Interior is telling him that the government party needs him. Triumphant music plays, the press corps rushes in, and he has a vision of hot sex. He says in voice-over, "I was cured!"

When I saw this the first time, I thought that Alex was in the catbird seat. He's being hand-fed by a minister!

But he's still a petty thug, smart but inexperienced, sociopathic, and without a friend or even an ally in the world. He's temporarily useful, but will be discarded after the next election. In a couple of years, he will be "killed while resisting arrest."

Does anyone have a different interpretation?
Old 03-17-03, 01:58 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The book you read, does it have 20 chapters or 21?

As the story goes, Kubrick read the American version of the novel which only had 20 chapters (the publisher thought the last chapter wasn't good) and so thats what he used for the movie.
Newer versions of the book do have the 21st chapter.

I'm inclined to think Alex will realize the error of his ways, over time and diminishing sex drive.
Old 03-17-03, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
That's pretty much the story.

At the time the film was made, American editions of the book didn't include Burgess' final chapter.
Old 03-17-03, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The movie is open ended. Alex has been given a 2nd chance; how he will use this opportunity is up to each viewer to decide.
Old 03-17-03, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
By Alex's last fantasy sequence, I think it's pretty clear that he's back to his old evil ways. Kubrick also was unambiguous in interviews and pretty much said 'yeah, Alex is a charming but damn evil character.'

He later found out (after the film was made) about the 21st chapter but thought it was a huge cop-out. Well, that was Stanley for you.