Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Top Ten St. Patrick's Day Movies

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-03, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Top 10 St. Patrick's Day Movies
1) Darby O'Gill and the Little People (1959)
2) The Secret of Roan Inish (1994)
3) The Quiet Man (1952)
4) Finian's Rainbow (1968)
5) This is My Father (1998)
6) The MatchMaker (1997)
7) The Magical Legend of the Leprechauns (1999)
8) St. Patrick's Day (2001)
9) St. Patrick: The Irish Legend (2000)
10) A Very Unlucky Leprechaun (1998)

Dishonorable Mention:
Leprechaun (1993)
Leprechaun 2 (1994)
Leprechaun 3 (1995)
Leprechaun 4 in Space (1996)
Leprechaun in the Hood (2000)

Check my website for short reviews:
http://www.andrewnixon.com/movies/spday.htm

I welcome any suggestions. I've seen a lot of other Irish movies, but I'm saving them for my Top Ten Irish Movies, and tried to keep this list to movies that evoke the sense of the holiday to me.
Old 03-17-03, 07:40 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Top Ten St. Patrick's Day Movies

Originally posted by Sinjin

Dishonorable Mention:
Leprechaun (1993)
Leprechaun 2 (1994)
Leprechaun 3 (1995)
Leprechaun 4 in Space (1996)
Leprechaun in the Hood (2000)

Oh c'mon on now.
Old 03-17-03, 08:09 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
What was the ghost one with Guttenberg and Daryl Hannah?
Old 03-17-03, 08:20 AM

Originally posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
What was the ghost one with Guttenberg and Daryl Hannah?
I totally forgot about "High Spirits"...I barely remember it, but I remember watching it on cable a long time ago.

Andrew
Old 03-17-03, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Commitments
Old 03-17-03, 08:33 AM

Originally posted by Iron Chef
The Commitments
It will definitely be on my Top Ten Irish Movies which will be coming soon.
Old 03-17-03, 08:38 AM

right behind the quiet man, the fugitive scene came to mind, but i'd also toss in The Informer with Victor McLaglen.
J
Old 03-17-03, 09:12 AM

How about 1997's The Boxer?
Old 03-17-03, 09:18 AM

Originally posted by angryyoungman
How about 1997's The Boxer?
Another movie for my Irish list...nothing too St Patricky though.

Thanks,
Andrew
Old 03-17-03, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Barfly seems to capture much of the St. Patty spirit.
Old 03-17-03, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally posted by LBPound
Best St. Patrick's Day scene...the chase through the parade in The Fugitive

Also for the scene of coloring the Chicago River green
Old 03-17-03, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ah, St. Patrick's day. Ireland's National Holiday, celebrated with a holy ceremony to commemorate the saint's day, a parade through the town where the community comes together, and festive celebrations afterwards.

Well, that's what it was, before it became an excuse (in America, especially) to drink a lot, stereotype the Irish and hawk and bit of "Oirish" kitsch in disgusting shades of green.

Naturally, this celebration of "Irishosity" ( I heard someone say that on ABC the other day. UGH) brings with it TV marathons of Irish films! ... or, rather, films about leprechaun shenanigans, leprechauns killing people (...?...), the bad-bad IRA, the good-good IRA vs. the bad-bad English... same stereotypical drivel. Yes, Ireland is a war-torn battle-scarred country where there will never be peace between the Catholics and Leprechauns.

Enough ranting from me... it being St. Patrick's Day, I think it'd be nice to highlight some Irish films that don't concern silly legends or terrorism (and, hopefully, skirting the "we-can-do-Ken-Loach-too" films about oh, how hard life is in Ireland, but not ignoring them either - quality's quality).

The Commitments. Anyone I've shown this film to has adored it. The idea is preposterous - twentysomethings with no discernable future who've grown up in poverty form a soul band - but it works because of the great cast, fantastic music and an excellent, excellent script (Have a look at the quotes for a taster). For the love of God, watch it, and see if you can the european DVD - with a nice anamorphic transfer and excellent sound. "Try A Little Tenderness" never sounded better (though, with then-17-year-old Andrew Strong singing it... could've LOOKED better!).

The Butcher Boy. When people think "classic film psychos", they'll usually go for easy answers like Hannibal Lecter or Norman Bates... a pity that few mention 12-year-old Francie Brady, a little boy from a not-too-happy family in 1960's Ireland. People dismiss his violent streak until it becomes too wide to ignore... or help. You'll watch this film, laughing at some parts, then with a feeling of horror and dread. It's bloody unsettling.

The General. An at-times overly sympathetic retelling of Dublin gangster Martin Cahill's heyday and fall. Brendan Gleeson's finest role, and who would have thought Jon Voight could do a convincing Irish accent? I didn't, and was pleasantly surprised - as pleasantly surprised as anyone who's seen the film. (So the IRA's in this one... not as vicious terrorists, though, but as common criminals looking for a piece of Cahill's action).

War Of The Buttons. A very funny film about rival gangs of schoolboys from neighbouring towns (think Springfield and Shelbyville) whose "battles" escalate when they start taking the losers' buttons as trophies. The film actually improves upon the 1962 French film. These kids talk and act like real children do - every bit as malicious, abusive and brutal as you know real-live children are! Another film set in twentieth-century rural Ireland, but still endearing.

A special consideration has to made for the UK-produced, but Irish-in-all-other ways sitcom Father Ted. A middle-aged priest, more or less exiled to a remote parish because of his accounts ("that charity money was RESTING in my account") has to endure a younger, dopey assistant priest and a senior priest who's pepetually drunk and can almost only speak in profanity. The IMDb quotes don't even do justice to how well-written this series was (before main star Dermot Morgan's untimely death), so check out one of the myriad fansites, and buy all three seasons on Amazon (best blind buy you'll ever make).

There's a ton more to check out... Accelerator (an Irish... car chase film...), The Van, On The Edge, The Matchmaker... some already mentioned, and some I'd rather not go into (Don't want TOO much Roddy Doyle for one thread).
Old 03-17-03, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How about Far and Away
Old 03-17-03, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by greatjedi
How about Far and Away
To hell with Far And Away. Deep, dark, blackest hell.

Sickens me when people think it's my favourite film just because I'm Irish. I like the filmmakers, and I appreciate their intentions, but when it came to F&A, Ron Howard showed he knew sweet FA about Ireland.
Old 03-17-03, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Excellent post, DonnachaOne. I just got jostled on my way back to work by drunken louts in lime green plastic tophats waving plastic Irish flags.

Go back to the suburbs, you annoying, drunk, souvenier buying twits! You are annoying the real Irish people in this world.

That being said, another big thumbs up to War of the Buttons.
I also liked Michael Collins.
Old 03-17-03, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Boondock Saints! We're getting drunk on green beer tonight and popping it in. On a side note; is Darby O'Gil available on DVD?
Old 03-17-03, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Patriot Games

Old 03-17-03, 12:37 PM

Originally posted by DeputyDave
a side note; is Darby O'Gil available on DVD?
Unfortunately not yet...But luckily I have it on Laserdisc.
Old 03-17-03, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by DeputyDave
Boondock Saints! We're getting drunk on green beer tonight and popping it in.
I love this film (remember, they're Irish-American, which explains the dodgy accents).

Just one of a few things that bothered me though - Norman Reedus' line, something to the effect of "Everyone's Irish on St. Patty's Day".]

1. Irish people do not say this. In fact, you're likely to get clobbered for it. It's like saying everyone's Polish on Casimir Pulaski day. But, the character's Irish-American, so I can let it slide.

2. St. PATTY'S Day??? "Paddy" is often said in Ireland, as it is an abbreviation of the name 'Patrick' as gaeilge, "Paidhraig". A "Patty", however, is a hamburger. I never heard anyone use the name "Patty" as a nickname for 'Patrick' until I moved to America... and, not coincidently, he was wearing a lime green top hat.

J6P... of green beer? Don't even get me started on the green beer... it's no more Irish than "red lager"...
Old 03-17-03, 01:25 PM

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
J6P... of green beer? Don't even get me started on the green beer... it's no more Irish than "red lager"...
Well, I know I'm only part Irish, because I don't like Guiness...but I'll probably have some Kilkenny or Killian's Red tonight! Never had a green beer...that just doesn't seem right!
Old 03-17-03, 10:14 PM

green beer sucks the second time you have to see it.
Old 03-17-03, 11:51 PM

i'm going with boondock saints as the only movie i know of remotely related to ireland/st patty's. color me ignorant, and i know it isn't too irish/st. patty's but i still liked the movie.
Old 03-18-03, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by WiccanPagan
i'm going with boondock saints as the only movie i know of remotely related to ireland/st patty's. color me ignorant, and i know it isn't too irish/st. patty's but i still liked the movie.
Wiccan has a The Princess Bride quote in the signature.

That's GOOD!

Wiccan calls it St.Patty's Day.

That's BAD.

I shall colour you equal shades of "ignorant" and "enlightened". Now that we're nice and stripey, let's truce and watch Boondock Saints.
Old 03-18-03, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Michael Collins should most definately be on that list.

And "Paddy" is also the Jim Beam of Ireland....a fine Irish Whiskey it is laddy!!!
Old 03-18-03, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm British. St Patricks Day is just another day when I chase all the drunks out of my neighborhood with a baseball bat.

Don't get me wrong, I love the irish. Think of everything they've given to the world. Bad accents and public drunkenness.

Just kidding

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.