2003 RnR Hall of Fame Induction

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-03, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 RnR Hall of Fame Induction

Is anyone else watching this?

Here's what I have noticed so far:

1. The Righteous Brothers sang "Lovin' Feeling" horribly.
2. Billy Joel's speech to them meandered A LOT...
3. Elton John's speech for Elvis Costello + The Attractions was pretty funny.
4. Elvis' acceptance speech ran for somewhere around 10 minutes.
5. Collectively, The Attractions' speechs ran 3 minutes.
6. Elvis's set is pretty boring....
Old 03-16-03, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 2003 RnR Hall of Fame Induction

Originally posted by Brain Stew

1. The Righteous Brothers sang "Lovin' Feeling" horribly.
I thought it was great! I mean, they ARE pretty DAMN OLD! And we're used to hearing that song recorded way back when they were pretty young.

That's as far as I'm wating tonight, so I can't comment on the rest, I've got to get to bed. TiVo will catch the rest, I'll check it out tomorrow.
Old 03-16-03, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
The Police rocked. I beg to disagree, I thought Elvis' set was great, too. ("Deep Dark Truthful Mirror" is one of my favorite of his songs, saw him perform a killer verison of it live last fall, and what song could be more appropriate these days that "What's So Funny About Peace Love And Understanding?") Never a fan of AC/DC so I zoned out during that bit. Really liked Edge and Morello's introductions for The Clash, best speeches of the night.
Old 03-17-03, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have to catch the repeat of this later in the week due to all the stuff on Sunday night, but.....

What song(s) did The Police perform??
Old 03-17-03, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I heard "Roxanne" (sounded pretty good), and "Every Breath You Take" (which I thought sounded weird).
Old 03-17-03, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts
Tom Morello's intro to The Clash was great, and appropriate. Pretty much summed up what they were, and why.

Kind of sad to see Joe's family there without him.

Elvis Costello's speech was pretty damned awful. I sort of cringed during the "airing grievances" bit. I mean, damn, dude.

AC/DC. Thought Brian's voice sounded a little off. But hell, the guy's been singing those songs for twenty years. I'm surprised he cans still talk.

The Police were good.

Really a pretty impressive line-up. There wasn't any group/person I wasn't a fan of.

And "London Calling" and "Highway to Hell," are probably two of my ten favorite songs.
Old 03-17-03, 07:51 AM

Does anybody know if theytributed the Clash with a set that was not aired? I heard Morello on the radio a couple weeks ago saying a few of them were gonna play a few songs a la the Grammy tribute. I was kind of dissapointed it was not shown... assuming it even happened.

Otherwise, I thought it was a really good presentation. The last couple of years I have seen some of my favorite bands inducted together. I figure that run won't last forever so I enjoy it while I can.
Old 03-17-03, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by jkingfish
Does anybody know if theytributed the Clash with a set that was not aired? I heard Morello on the radio a couple weeks ago saying a few of them were gonna play a few songs a la the Grammy tribute. I was kind of dissapointed it was not shown... assuming it even happened.

No there were no performances of Clash songs. There was a planned all star finale of "I fought the law" but for whatever reason it did not take place.

It was great to see the Police in action again, but I wish "Message in a Bottle" had been shown. And uh, why was John Mayer on stage with them?

I thought the Righteous Brothers sounded pretty bad too, but again you have to cut them some slack...the voices went years ago I'm sure.

Paul Simonon (of the Clash) wins the fashion award He was always one of the coolest looking people in rock.
Old 03-17-03, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Every Breath You Take sounded really bad. The main riff was all wrong.
Old 03-17-03, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts
It was funny seeing Steven Tyler butcher a verse of AC/DC's "You Shook Me All Night Long" by reading lyrics (in the wrong rhythm pattern) off the prompter.
Old 03-17-03, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In retrospect, I will say that considering how old the Righteous Brothers are and how long they have been singing, they sounded decent. But, they definitely did seem out of place among the other inductees. This is because you are only eligible to be inducted into the hall of fame, 25 years after your first album. So this was pretty much everyone's first chance to be inducted except for the Righteous Brothers who had obviously been shelved some years ago to be inducted sometime in the future.

I am not an Elvis Costello fan, and that is why I wasn't impressed. That and he didn't play "Pump It Up" .

The Clash tribute was wonderful, but felt pretty flat without a performance. I mean, imagine if they had like performed "Magnificent Seven" or something....

AC/DC rocked, there is no other way to say it. Steven Tyler, reecked off washed up has been. I can't even stand the guy on TV.

The Police were pretty good, they did the songs very well . Did anyone else notice how big Gwen Stefani was in that picture where Sting was signing her record. She said she was chunky but wow !

Last edited by Brain Stew; 03-17-03 at 08:42 AM.
Old 03-17-03, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And yes, Paul Simonon looked like the gangster of love with the fedora .

Old 03-17-03, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Dubya
It was great to see the Police in action again, but I wish "Message in a Bottle" had been shown. And uh, why was John Mayer on stage with them?
My thoughts exactly.

What the hell was light-weight and VH-1 flavor-of-the-moment Mayer doing anywhere near the Hall of Fame induction ceremonies? Did he actually present something? Why all the friggin' reaction shots to this singer-songwriter footnote?

And incidentally, IIRC, some of the promos for the Hall of Fame induction ceremony mentioned that Bono would be present, not just Edge. Now, that wasn't exactly true, was it?
Old 03-17-03, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
John Mayer was on stage with the Police because he is a huge star right now and a recent Grammy winner. Also in the current issue of Rolling Stone there is a short interview with him where he said he was a huge Police fan.

I'm not a huge fan of his album, but he's a very skilled guitar player. I'm hoping he livens things up a bit for his next one. He may have been invited to join in by the band themselves, but however it happened I'm sure the decision was up to The Police.
Old 03-17-03, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Well, I like Mayer..I also like Gwen..Tyler? ehh..i'm thinking Aerosmith is once again past its prime..

ANYways..the point of all this is that NONE of them should've been on stage with the Police..
Old 03-17-03, 12:16 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Was only interested in seeing AC/DC. Nice to see Bon Scott's nephew accept the award - that was a nice touch.
Old 03-17-03, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Anyone know who is eligible to enter the Hall next year? As they get into the late 70s-early 80s they're getting to more and more of my 'childhood favorite' acts like the Police, Costello, Ramones etc. I believe I've read it's 25 years between eligibility and induction -- I *think* the 2003 class are then the folks from 1978 although I'm not sure about that...
Old 03-17-03, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"ladies and genitles," Steven Tyler